Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Some folks over in the Tensa4 Hammock Stand thread asked for some pics of how I have used my motorcycle in conjunction with a one tree hang. Here are some pictures from a quick setup in my backyard showing how I do it. It's a low and wonky hang, but it gets the job done for a night and then you can move on. Typically these days I have my Tensa4 stand with me on the bike, so one tree hangs (or picnic table, etc) are really just for 'emergency hangs'. It's been a few years since I have done this out on the road.

PXL_20211105_192748129.jpg

The strap is attached to the front engine guard on the opposite side of the kickstand, and continues up and over the handlebars to give it a little bit of height.

PXL_20211105_192810618.jpg

The strap continues over the bike, and is almost exactly in line with the kickstand, which gives it as much stability as possible.

PXL_20211105_192842055.jpg

Keep in mind, my bike is pretty heavy. 750 lbs dry weight, 800 plus with fuel and all my crap loaded. This took a good bit of experimenting before I was comfortable with it, not necessarily for fear of the bike tipping over; it's pretty stable. Mostly just trying to get the strap as high as possible while keeping it on a strong and stable mount.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Using 1/2 a Tensa4 Stand With One Tree…

This was quite stable using only one ground anchor (attached to the foot of each pole and secured into the ground directly beneath where the tops of the two poles are joined. I hung the bag the poles came in off the end to weight it when the hammock was lying unloaded. (I had the rest of the Tensa4 stand, a tarp extender, a Solo conversion kit, and two more ground stakes left inside the bag.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-24-2021 at 20:35.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post

This was quite stable using only one ground anchor (attached to the foot of each pole and secured into the ground directly beneath where the tops of the two poles are joined. I hung the bag the poles came in off the end to weight it when the hammock was lying unloaded. (I had the rest of the Tensa4 stand, a tarp extender, a Solo conversion kit, and two more ground stakes left inside the bag.)
    That's an awesome photo Dublinlin! Can we add it to Tensa4 product photo gallery? And yes, you totally get the half-Tensa4 concept, elevating you to the rank of Gravity Bender. There isn't a tee-shirt tho.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    That's an awesome photo Dublinlin! Can we add it to Tensa4 product photo gallery? And yes, you totally get the half-Tensa4 concept, elevating you to the rank of Gravity Bender. There isn't a tee-shirt tho.
    You are sure welcome to add the photo Latherdome! …and there totally needs to be a Gravity Bender T-shirt!

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Could you do this with the Solo, or does it require half of a Tensa4?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
    Could you do this with the Solo, or does it require half of a Tensa4?
    Peter8, looks like ScottS (above) has a photo of a one tree hang with a Solo. I also had posted a photo of a one tree hang utilizing a Tensa Solo in the Tensa4 Hammock Stand thread. (I actually was using just 1/2 of one leg of my Tensa4 coupled with the inexpensive "Solo conversion kit" in this photo below. I think using 1/2 leg of the Tensa4 with the conversion kit, is pretty much the same thing as a Tensa Solo.) If I were car camping, I would definitely use two full legs from my Tensa4 for a one tree hang...actually, I'd use all four legs and do a "no tree hang" which is the easiest and most stable...BUT, if there were TWO of us camping and poor tree selection, THAT'S when I'd break my Tensa4 up into two halves and let both of us each do a "one tree hang". If I were HIKING, that's when I'd just take a Tensa Solo for a one tree hang. The Tensa Solo works great, but using two full legs of my Tensa4 only required ONE ground anchor rather than the TWO required if using just a 1/2 leg (Solo). Just needing one ground screw made set-up simpler and less fussy. To my surprise, I've found I like using the TENSA4 better than hanging from trees even when the trees are plentiful and spacing is ideal. When I car camp now, I always use the TENSA4. I save "tree only" hangs for hiking trips...and if I were hiking where tree selection might be dicey, I'd pack my "solo".

ONE HALF of a LEG of a TENSA4 (TENSA SOLO) in a one tree hang (requiring two ground anchors):

TWO WHOLE LEGS of a TENSA4 in a one tree hang (requiring only one ground anchor):

ALL FOUR LEGS of a TENSA4 in a no tree hang (requiring only one ground anchor, but better with two):

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-01-2021 at 16:50.

Sorry, this isn't a picture about my one tree hang, it's a question about others' pictures. Please delete if necessary. My question is - it appears to be a good idea to have something hard below your Solo pole, if you're using one pole on soft ground?

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    Appalachian Hex
    Insulation
    Cosco throw
    Suspension
    Becket/ER loop
    Dublinlin, I have seen the one tree hangs with a Solo, my question was if you could use the Solo, both poles together, just as in the half Tensa4 setup. Specifical; are the poles different and what additional hardware would be needed, if any, to make the two-pole Tensa4 setup out of a Solo? If backpacking and expecting a lack of usable trees, I would probably take two poles anyway not just one. It would therefore, since I have two with me, look like a more stable option if I have one good tree.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by peter8 View Post
    Dublinlin, I have seen the one tree hangs with a Solo, my question was if you could use the Solo, both poles together, just as in the half Tensa4 setup. Specifical; are the poles different and what additional hardware would be needed, if any, to make the two-pole Tensa4 setup out of a Solo? If backpacking and expecting a lack of usable trees, I would probably take two poles anyway not just one. It would therefore, since I have two with me, look like a more stable option if I have one good tree.
    Great question Peter8. When making a "Solo" out of the pieces of my Tensa4, I only use ONE HALF of a SINGLE leg (out of the 4 legs--each leg made up of two Solo-sized sections) to hang from a single tree (so 1/8 of the TENSA4). When doing the bipod hang like the one in the middle picture above, I use TWO FULL legs (out of the 4 legs of the TENSA4--so 1/2 of the whole TENSA4...the length of FOUR Solo's). So, no, unfortunately you would not be able to use two TENSA Solos to create the kind of bipod hang I'd pictured above...the two poles required for that configuration are each twice as long as a single Solo pole. I don't think you could even use FOUR Tensa Solos to recreate that configuration, since I doubt you could join them end to end to make two longer poles out of the four short poles as you routinely do with the full TENSA4 set-up. So, although you can make 8 "Solo's" out of the 8 leg sections one TENSA4 (utilizing the small conversion kits), you can't make one TENSA4 out of 8 Solos (as far as I know, anyway).

And, whereas hiking with two Solo poles would be fine, hiking with two full length TENSA4 legs (the weight of 4 Solo poles), as needed for the two legged set-up you asked about, would not be fine--they'd be TWICE the weight of your 2 Tensa Solos. Four times the weight of a single Tensa Solo! I'd say the less fussy two poled set up for a single tree hang is strictly a car camping, kayaking, or biking option. I don't think it'd be very hiking-friendly.

Hiking with your two Solos, would give you the option of a "no tree hang" for one hammock or a "one tree hang" for two hammocks.

EDIT: As I think more on it, I should not have adamantly assumed that there is no way to do a "bipod" sort of hang using 2 Solos. The one thing I am learning from using my Tensa4 is that it is incredibly versatile. Latherdome, if you are reading this, IS there anyway to do a "bipod", one ground anchor, one tree hang using just two Solos? Or are they too short to accommodate that sort of configuration?
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 12-01-2021 at 16:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast