one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippi View Post
    I just got my Tensa Solo in the mail this past week. I can't wait to test it out! Maybe tomorrow after work I will have time and I'll post a pic.

On that note... one of the reasons I have not tested it out is because I'm wondering if I should have gotten the Trekking Treez. I don't use trekking poles, but should I have gotten it for the versatility just in case I do decide to use poles? Does one system work better than the other?
    I've never used the TTs and just picked up the Solo for kayak camping and bikepacking. Don't think I'd want to carry it backpacking, or at least until I dropt a bunch more weight out of my pack to make up for the weight of the Sole.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock 15 degree
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I've never used the TTs and just picked up the Solo for kayak camping and bikepacking. Don't think I'd want to carry it backpacking, or at least until I dropt a bunch more weight out of my pack to make up for the weight of the Sole.
    What is your base weight backpacking? I think I've got it pretty close that the Solo won't be too bad to carry although I only plan on bringing it if I think there might be a possibility of not having a tree option.

On another note... that's awesome that you kayak camp! I would love to do that! I was just asking a friend who raft camps if there was somewhere nearby that she would recommend kayak camping.
    Hiking my own hike and hanging my own hang. This is where my happy is!
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE

"One Tree" hangs

I've been interested in this idea for a while and have had the Tensa Solo in my cart a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. After reading the whole Tensa Outdoors site and watching YouTube videos it seemed that the stakes in a one-tree setup are at least as important as the pole. Being a big guy, I decided to test with minimal investment. I bought Orange Screws on Amazon and used an Osage Orange hiking pole that I already had.

Using the orange screws with some amsteel lines and two 10" stakes with paracord, I got a decent--if somewhat saggy--hang. The 2x3 in the picture is just holding the tarp and was just what I had in the shed.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

I left this set up for 3 days and took a few naps in it just to see how I liked it. I at least proved to myself that it's possible. I will probably carry the cordage and hiking pole on all trips and pack the orange screws if I think finding trees will be an issue.

Thanks for the ideas in this thread. It inspired me to give this a try. Other than a lot of lines run everywhere this is a good option for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my Tensa Solo in the mail this past week. I can't wait to test it out! Maybe tomorrow after work I will have time and I'll post a pic.

On that note... one of the reasons I have not tested it out is because I'm wondering if I should have gotten the Trekking Treez. I don't use trekking poles, but should I have gotten it for the versatility just in case I do decide to use poles? Does one system work better than the other?
    I’ve been using one Trekking Treez pole as a hiking staff, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the immense flexibility it affords to be able to confidently go anywhere and achieve a great night in my hammock.

Even when I know there are likely spots to hang between two trees, I almost always find a better direction that I’d like to face and that my TT makes possible.

I can’t say enough good things about this game changer from the good folks at Tensa Outdoors!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    I’ve been using one Trekking Treez pole as a hiking staff, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the immense flexibility it affords to be able to confidently go anywhere and achieve a great night in my hammock.

Even when I know there are likely spots to hang between two trees, I almost always find a better direction that I’d like to face and that my TT makes possible.

I can’t say enough good things about this game changer from the good folks at Tensa Outdoors!!!

I've been torn ever since I pressed the order button. I really think I should have gotten the Trekking Treez. Then I wouldn't be adding to my pack weight. I don't use trekking poles, but I could maybe get used to using them. Does the Trekking Treez pole feel heavy when walking it?
    The Happy Hiker Blog

I've been torn ever since I pressed the order button. I really think I should have gotten the Trekking Treez. Then I wouldn't be adding to my pack weight. I don't use trekking poles, but I could maybe get used to using them. Does the Trekking Treez pole feel heavy when walking it?
    I’ve got a Tensa4, which I use at home. Sometimes I take one length and use my Solo extension kit for car camping. And when I’m backpacking, it’s the TT’s. It’s weight is rarely actually carried; in fact it bears more weight (mine) than it requires me to bear. So no, it doesn’t feel heavy at all!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mini Fly
    Insulation
    Superior 30 deg TQ
    Suspension
    Superior Gear UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    I’ve got a Tensa4, which I use at home. Sometimes I take one length and use my Solo extension kit for car camping. And when I’m backpacking, it’s the TT’s. It’s weight is rarely actually carried; in fact it bears more weight (mine) than it requires me to bear. So no, it doesn’t feel heavy at all!

Hmmmmm.... I think I might return my solo and get the TT's. I know they cost about twice as much... but I would really like the option of being able to use it as a trekking pole if I want. I like the thought of the versatility.
    The Happy Hiker Blog

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    What is your base weight backpacking? I think I've got it pretty close that the Solo won't be too bad to carry although I only plan on bringing it if I think there might be a possibility of not having a tree option.

On another note... that's awesome that you kayak camp! I would love to do that! I was just asking a friend who raft camps if there was somewhere nearby that she would recommend kayak camping.
    I just checked my lighter pack list and it says almost 17lb w/o food or water. Where we've been hiking (the desert) water has been the big weight add.

And, I don't know if you're aware but in the "donating members" area there's a section of padding sports.
    Last edited by LowTech; 11-03-2021 at 21:17.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by tlfillingim View Post
    I've been interested in this idea for a while and have had the Tensa Solo in my cart a few times but haven't pulled the trigger. After reading the whole Tensa Outdoors site and watching YouTube videos it seemed that the stakes in a one-tree setup are at least as important as the pole. Being a big guy, I decided to test with minimal investment. I bought Orange Screws on Amazon and used an Osage Orange hiking pole that I already had.

Using the orange screws with some amsteel lines and two 10" stakes with paracord, I got a decent--if somewhat saggy--hang. The 2x3 in the picture is just holding the tarp and was just what I had in the shed.

I left this set up for 3 days and took a few naps in it just to see how I liked it. I at least proved to myself that it's possible. I will probably carry the cordage and hiking pole on all trips and pack the orange screws if I think finding trees will be an issue.

Thanks for the ideas in this thread. It inspired me to give this a try. Other than a lot of lines run everywhere this is a good option for me now.

That's great that we got you up w/ one tree!
    You do have a lot of lines running. I personally believe that you only need two coming off the pole where your hammock suspension attaches.
    If I felt like I needed more stakes due to ground conditions I'd branch the lines closer to the ground and have each end of those lines held by a stake. That would give you four stakes in the ground but only two lines coming off the pole.

Another thing to consider is that the straighter the pole the more you have to count on the ground anchors.
    My poles are often close to the 30° hang angle that is suggested for the hammock. That puts more pressure down the length of the pole and less working to pull it over.

Quote Originally Posted by tlfillingim View Post

Stakes do matter a great deal with the one-pole-hang, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how often I’m able to anchor to roots or low branches, which are almost guaranteed to be sturdier than any ground anchor solution, even ones as solid as Tensa’s excellent Boonstakes!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast