Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    I am sure it would be lighter. I like the fact when I use it (Upsidedown) it has the hollow where the foot of the solo can rest and reduce slipping.solocap.jpg

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    Got it. I figured it had the square nut on it. That will not slip.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    I am sure it would be lighter. I like the fact when I use it (Upsidedown) it has the hollow where the foot of the solo can rest and reduce slipping.solocap.jpg
    That is a great idea, thank you. I was going to use a length of black pipe instead of a Tensa Solo pipe for my single tree solution. For a footing, I was going to use a floor flange and a small piece of plywood, but a 4” cap might be a better choice.

Thanks for the picture.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Made a pointy foot a while back from some 1.5" pvc well casing with a drive point that I had around from another project. I drilled out a hole through the slot opposite the pre-drilled hole located about a half inch from the bottom of the largest tube in order to slide the bolt though, securing the solo to the foot and adding about 6-7" to the height of the mounting point for the hammock. The extra height is really nice giving a bit of extra room between the solo and tree for easier hangs and a bit more room for the tarp. The small grey thing is just a tube from a ball-point pen that is the perfect size for a spacer between the solo tube and pvc.

point.jpg

exploded.jpg

edit: added exploded view
    Last edited by gooless; 12-04-2021 at 19:25.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I've been using a Kelty tarp pole for a couple of yrs now.
    I started taking it after trying it in the back yard. I no longer had to have two trees of the right size the right distance apart. Then after using it when needed I progressed to using it often to stay in practice. Then just using it all the time to have better versatility with the hammock. I can set it to see the lake, the river the fire ring, what ever I want. It freed me from being dependent on the trees.

The Kelty pole has worked fine, but this summer I saw the Yobo stand at an expo here in Colorado. A small lightweight stand designed for a hammock rather than a tarp.. I wanted it, until i heard the price. With a Yukon River trip scheduled for next yr I decided to buy it. Although the Kelty has worked well, I did Bend a pole in the spring out in the desert. I don't want that to happen on the Yukon river.

The Kelty pole has worked great for me and if your close to my weight, 160, it will probably work for you to. I almost went with the Tensa, which in some ways I like better. Size and versatility being my top priorities I chose the Yobo because I have seen it. I'll post again after I try it out. I'm very pleased that Tensa and Yobo are giving us an option that will fit in my kayak or on the back of my bike.

Sent from my couch
    Last edited by ibgary; 01-02-2022 at 17:42.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I looked at the Yobo and I really wanted to like it. BUT - as with the Handy Hammock setup I sold - it relies on a solid anchor. And my major concern with any portable stand is the lack of sufficient ground anchor. Yes, the Tensa4 requires an anchor at the foot end. But I don’t think it has to be nearly as stout as those holding the full pull like just single or double sticks have to do. I just got back from a Christmas visit in North Carolina - what a great place in the winter; very little humidity - and the ground there seems much more stake friendly than the lava beds around here or the pebble beaches in the San Juans.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-03-2022 at 14:40.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

"One Tree" hangs

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I looked at the Yobo and I really wanted to like it. BUT - as with the Handy Hammock setup I sold - it relies on a solid anchor. And my major concern with any portable stand is the lack of sufficient ground anchor. Yes, the Tensa4 requires an anchor at the foot end. But I don’t think it has to be nearly as stout as those holding the full pull like just single or double sticks have to do.
    Correct! Even with double anchors, each of those lines sees MUCH more tension than Tensa4’s single anchor line. We used to call Tensa4’s anchor line a tether, because a tether just keeps it from losing balance or blowing away in the wind, the stand itself bearing your weight, while an anchor with a mono- or bipod stand needs to bear at least your full weight, possibly amplified by the vector trig physics of tighter hangs: those of the hammock between its supports, and those of the support between its anchors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 01-02-2022 at 21:11.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ/ HG Burr
    Suspension
    Whoopi sling. Yobo

"One Tree" hangs

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Peter8, looks like ScottS (above) has a photo of a one tree hang with a Solo. I also had posted a photo of a one tree hang utilizing a Tensa Solo in the Tensa4 Hammock Stand thread. (I actually was using just 1/2 of one leg of my Tensa4 coupled with the inexpensive "Solo conversion kit" in this photo below. I think using 1/2 leg of the Tensa4 with the conversion kit, is pretty much the same thing as a Tensa Solo.) If I were car camping, I would definitely use two full legs from my Tensa4 for a one tree hang...actually, I'd use all four legs and do a "no tree hang" which is the easiest and most stable...BUT, if there were TWO of us camping and poor tree selection, THAT'S when I'd break my Tensa4 up into two halves and let both of us each do a "one tree hang". If I were HIKING, that's when I'd just take a Tensa Solo for a one tree hang. The Tensa Solo works great, but using two full legs of my Tensa4 only required ONE ground anchor rather than the TWO required if using just a 1/2 leg (Solo). Just needing one ground screw made set-up simpler and less fussy. To my surprise, I've found I like using the TENSA4 better than hanging from trees even when the trees are plentiful and spacing is ideal. When I car camp now, I always use the TENSA4. I save "tree only" hangs for hiking trips...and if I were hiking where tree selection might be dicey, I'd pack my "solo".

ONE HALF of a LEG of a TENSA4 (TENSA SOLO) in a one tree hang (requiring two ground anchors):

TWO WHOLE LEGS of a TENSA4 in a one tree hang (requiring only one ground anchor):

ALL FOUR LEGS of a TENSA4 in a no tree hang (requiring only one ground anchor, but better with two):

Did you still use the base line between the 2 poles? I can barely see the 2 lines going to the one ground anchor but cant tell if there is a base line.

Last edited by Eruption; 01-02-2022 at 21:44.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruption View Post
    Did you still use the base line between the 2 poles? I can barely see the 2 lines going to the one ground anchor but cant tell if there is a base line.

Baseline serves no purpose in this configuration. Or rather, think of the baseline as deflected to the anchor beneath the head apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast