Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    That desert hang is just wicked. Well done! Get a wind sock to fend off the occasional dust storm and you could do Burning Man.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by kwood View Post
    That desert hang is just wicked. Well done! Get a wind sock to fend off the occasional dust storm and you could do Burning Man.
    Thanks! Did the Burn in a hammock last year . . . no wind sock, just a tarp w/ doors, shade cloth, and an emt shade structure.
    Sometimes you just sleep w/ goggles and a mask.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Latest, two pole, desert hang.
    Gat dangit LT! That is just another really cool hang. Very, very cool.

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Thanks! Did the Burn in a hammock last year . . . no wind sock, just a tarp w/ doors, shade cloth, and an emt shade structure.
    Sometimes you just sleep w/ goggles and a mask.
    gyroCopterDude.png

Latest, two pole, desert hang.
    SoCal High Desert

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    LowTech,

Your pole guy lines appear to join together before attaching to the pole.

Why for?
    How are they joined?

Thanks for all your photos and commentary on this forum.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    [Raising my hand in class] - could be wrong here but if those two lines were attached to the pole, you'd have to balance the pull so it's equal between the two lines; more adjustments. That is difficult enough and might be further complicated if you can't put an anchor in just the right spot. By coming off the pole with a short single line, the pull against the pole is only in one direction. The force against the anchors is split/shared by the "V" line. So a Pro is not having to balance the two lines as you would if they were both connected to the pole. The Con is you lose some side-to-side stability.

Note the "anchors" for the pole ends in the sand. Not LowTech's first rodeo.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    LowTech,

Your pole guy lines appear to join together before attaching to the pole.

Why for?
    How are they joined?

Thanks for all your photos and commentary on this forum.

You're welcome. I'm glad they are of value. In fact I've been collecting photos of the different aspects of hanging from poles. Things like strap and guy line attachments, poles used, ground stake methods, etc. and trying to decide if I should post a more detailed write up.

You are correct about my guy lines coming together before they get to the pole. It wasn't how I started it just happened out of trying to solve a different issue. When I was using straps, usually cam lock straps, just doing a "round turn" , going around twice, was enough to keep them from sliding on a metal pole. Once I started testing dyneema UCRs I found that they slide down the pole very easy. After testing a few methods of making them stay in place, including a clove hitch which wasn't horrible, I ended up just using a soft shackle and attaching the loops of the UCR lines to the knot of the shackle. That makes the shackle cinch up tight and if I keep it above ridge where the pole sections sleeve together I have no issues. At first I thought I would get too much side to side movement doing it that way but the shackles are short enough that it's barely there even w/ my swinging tendencies.
    It's easy enough to set and remove that I'll continue to use it even on other poles that may not be as slippery.

In the photo the extra line clipped to the shackle is just holding a gear hammock.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    [Raising my hand in class] - could be wrong here but if those two lines were attached to the pole, you'd have to balance the pull so it's equal between the two lines; more adjustments. That is difficult enough and might be further complicated if you can't put an anchor in just the right spot. By coming off the pole with a short single line, the pull against the pole is only in one direction. The force against the anchors is split/shared by the "V" line. So a Pro is not having to balance the two lines as you would if they were both connected to the pole. The Con is you lose some side-to-side stability.

Note the "anchors" for the pole ends in the sand. Not LowTech's first rodeo.
    Almost, but I still have to balance out both lines otherwise the top of the poles aren't directly over the foot end. W/ a double pole setup I have a 5 point adjustment, 4 UCR guy lines and a independent ridgeline.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

You're welcome. I'm glad they are of value. In fact I've been collecting photos of the different aspects of hanging from poles. Things like strap and guy line attachments, poles used, ground stake methods, etc. and trying to decide if I should post a more detailed write up.

You are correct about my guy lines coming together before they get to the pole. It wasn't how I started it just happened out of trying to solve a different issue. When I was using straps, usually cam lock straps, just doing a "round turn" , going around twice, was enough to keep them from sliding on a metal pole. Once I started testing dyneema UCRs I found that they slide down the pole very easy. After testing a few methods of making them stay in place, including a clove hitch which wasn't horrible, I ended up just using a soft shackle and attaching the loops of the UCR lines to the knot of the shackle. That makes the shackle cinch up tight and if I keep it above ridge where the pole sections sleeve together I have no issues. At first I thought I would get too much side to side movement doing it that way but the shackles are short enough that it's barely there even w/ my swinging tendencies.
    It's easy enough to set and remove that I'll continue to use it even on other poles that may not be as slippery.

In the photo the extra line clipped to the shackle is just holding a gear hammock.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Very interesting! And I really appreciate the close up photo. I like the idea of a single attachment per side rather than one for each guy line.

I'm taking a 2 week moto trip this summer. I have a Tensa4 which I love, but I'm intrigued by the single pole per side setup. I have Tensa Solos that pack down small for the bike.

I also have some of those aluminium mast sections laying around, too. I think I'll try you use them for full family hangs at car camping sites.

I need to practice anchoring to boost my confidence in their stability.

Thanks again for all your contributions - I read all your posts!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Over the yrs of hammock camping, (I started in 2010) I've gone from trees to a tree and a Kelty tarp pole and 2 yrs ago I bought a YOBO.
    I got 2 Kelty poles for about 40$. The YOBO cost about as much as my hammock, tarp and quilts combined. The Kelty has dropped me once. I had it set far to high because of ground sloping by a river. A pole section bent. I took that pole out and lowered the height to around 5 or 6 ft not 8 ft.
    The following yr I got the YOBO. It has dropped me multiple times. About 6 or 8 times last yr and twice last month in Joshua Tree.
    I recommend using the Kelty or something similar. Less expensive and more reliable in my opinion. I have removed all the spring pins from the YOBO and replaced them with ball lock pins from Harbor Freight.
    I've contacted YOBO twice about the issue. The first time, I was told to always test the hammock after set up. The last message was ignored.

Sent from my couch

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415