WB Orig BB/XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down and Apex 7.5
    Suspension
    Marlin Spike Hitch

Outdoor gear storage question

I am hoping for input about how to store gear in an outdoor location. Recently I bought some property in northern Michigan. It has been a dream of mine most of my life and it finally happened--I have my own place to go to. After building my permanent hammock stand I started to wonder how I could store my hammock(s), tarp and underquilt there on the property as there are no structures yet. (Who needs a structure when you have a hammock? ) I thought about just keeping everything in a Rubbermaid bin or some type of plastic storage that seals but I'm wondering if condensation would be an issue, especially for underquilts that are down. Airflow would be nice but I'm concerned about insects, moths, etc. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I want my gear protected.

Does anyone here have experience with storing gear this way?

Thanks for any ideas or input!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If using a tote bin, get one that has “handles” that help secure lid. And secure with long rope to hold tote closed both horizontally and longitudinally.

Then tie to tree. This is not for protection from two legged prowlers, but might keep curious critters out of your gear.

Anything put in damp, might mildew.

If it was me, I’d backpack all my gear into woods, each camping trip. Maybe leave homemade hammock stand at camp.

Images
    I agree, I'd probably bring it all in and out with me each time, until you have a dry critter-proof structure you could keep it in.

Images
    Can you drive to this land and have easy access? If so I would just take it in and out every time. If not you could always try your idea with some old coats this spring and see if it gets humid and starts to smell.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    You did not say if the circumstances are:
    1. Are you keeping things in direct sun all the time, ie. not buried.
    2. What container are you thinking of using.
    Any stuff which is in direct sun light will warm up and completely dry. No matter how cold. And especially fast if in black containers, the moisture will just escape, even with a very tight lid. It gets out. But in my experience of stashing gear, it also can take on moisture during changing weather.
    SO, I would not store down items, down items will take on ambient moisture, but non-down fabric items would be ok. Metal items do not rust. IMO it stays dry.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I store a lot of things outdoors in Rubbermaid type bins - not hammock gear. They will all deteriorate under UV sunlight. I mean we all do. Just know they are not forever. Also, I’d put it under some waterproof tarp - which will also deteriorate. I again, I haven’t kept my quilts and hammocks stored outdoors - except when on an adventure.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    UV proof containers, throw in some desiccant packs to keep the moisture down, and make sure they lock up good so mice and what not dont get in.

I stored some stuff in conex containers that way in Alaska with good luck using the big rubbermaid Action Packers.

• + New Posts