Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

"One Tree" hangs

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Latherdome, if you are reading this, IS there anyway to do a "bipod", one ground anchor, one tree hang using just two Solos? Or are they too short to accommodate that sort of configuration?
    Sorry I missed this so long. They are too short to do it in the manner of half a Tensa4, where the hammocker’s center of gravity is kept on the outside of the virtual baseline to avoid the need for a strong guyline. You could, in principle, rig up two Solos as a bipod and use a single guyline, in the manner of a Byer of Maine Madera or YOBO Freedom stand.

However, I see no benefit to doing it this way from a cost, weight, or reliability point of view. Anchors pulling out in varying ground conditions is the main point of failure of all mono or bipod stands, so having 2 anchors nearly halves the risk of problems. Sure, you can use 2 anchors with a bipod, but since only 3 ground points are required for stability (one foot and two anchors, or two feet and one anchor), the redundancy of 4 loses in a weight/cost/bulk analysis.

Also, bipods don’t work as well across slopes, because unless the feet are level or the poles adjustable in length enough to center the hammock connection, the downslope pole will bear most or even all of the load. If the pole is strong enough for that, then it might as well be a cheaper, lighter, simpler monopod.

Finally, while a monopod requires 2 anchors, if one of those anchors is strong enough to bear the whole hammock load (say you can tie to a concrete picnic table or vehicle bumper, or the ground is just really firm — situations where a single anchor with bipod would be fine), then the second anchor can be really weak: just strong enough to keep the pole from falling over when the hammock is empty. You could literally tie the second to a 6-pack if it wasn’t too windy. That’s because you can move a monopod’s foot to distribute the load across its anchors any which way, as discussed here: https://youtu.be/AIo6XWYKG5Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 09-04-2022 at 21:14.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Thanks so much for the video at the above link, great explanation of plumb and spreading the tieout tension based on the anchor strength confidence. I had no idea that shifting the pole toward the stronger anchor had such a dramatic effect. Also anbl8ng the pole toward the hammock as well. Great insight, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Sorry I missed this so long. They are too short to do it in the manner of half a Tensa4, where the hammocker’s center of gravity is kept on the outside of the virtual baseline to avoid the need for a strong guyline. You could, in principle, rig up two Solos as a bipod and use a single guyline, in the manner of a Byer of Maine Madera or YOBO Freedom stand.

However, I see no benefit to doing it this way from a cost, weight, or reliability point of view. Anchors pulling out in varying ground conditions is the main point of failure of all mono or bipod stands, so having 2 anchors nearly halves the risk of problems. Sure, you can use 2 anchors with a bipod, but since only 3 ground points are required for stability (one foot and two anchors, or two feet and one anchor), the redundancy of 4 loses in a weight/cost/bulk analysis.

Also, bipods don’t work as well across slopes, because unless the feet are level or the poles adjustable in length enough to center the hammock connection, the downslope pole will bear most or even all of the load. If the pole is strong enough for that, then it might as well be a cheaper, lighter, simpler monopod.

Finally, while a monopod requires 2 anchors, if one of those anchors is strong enough to bear the whole hammock load (say you can tie to a concrete picnic table or vehicle bumper, or the ground is just really firm — situations where a single anchor with bipod would be fine), then the second anchor can be really weak: just strong enough to keep the pole from falling over when the hammock is empty. You could literally tie the second to a 6-pack if it wasn’t too windy. That’s because you can move a monopod’s foot to distribute the load across its anchors any which way, as discussed here: https://youtu.be/AIo6XWYKG5Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that's very helpful.

Some interesting pics here. I don't carry a pole with me that would enable this when I am hiking but maybe I should.

working on making a single pole set up for my Hennessy 4-season. I do a lot of car camping so weight isn't an issue. I'm looking at schedule 40 black iron pipe. will be testing soon.
    pole.jpgppole design.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Journey
    Insulation
    UP Synthetic
    Suspension
    beckett hitch
    I've found that using a WB Ridgerunner with a Tensa Solo put the tarp too low to make getting in and out of very comfortable. So I reached out to Cheryl and we tossed a couple ideas around, here is a method of raising the tarp higher that I'm testing out.
    Tensa Solo tarp extension idea.jpgTensa Solo tarp extension idea guyout closeup.jpg
    This withstood 20mph winds and rain for a full day and a half without bending or causing problems. Sadly one of the anchors gave away due to the rain softening the ground, but, that's another topic.
    Last edited by OverTheHill; 09-16-2022 at 16:23. Reason: photos didn't show up to others

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Our latest hang in the Colorado river area of Arizona.
    We pitched the tarps like lean-tos for privacy and wind block. I'm using UCRs for pole lines and she has cam lock straps from the vehicle kit.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Big blue monster
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    This looks so interesting. What should be my approach to one tree hanging if I only have access to a very basic lumber yard and hardware store? Weight isn't an issue, but lack of skill and resources is

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonie View Post
    This looks so interesting. What should be my approach to one tree hanging if I only have access to a very basic lumber yard and hardware store? Weight isn't an issue, but lack of skill and resources is
    I've done several that used Home Depot materials. Some thing as simple as an 8' closet rod (wooden pole that your clothes hang on in a closet), two 10' cam-lock straps, and some rebar for stakes can be a one-tree stand.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hung this way at a festival a few times. Easily done with one tree as well.
    Good staking is the key.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast