Summer FrankenTarp Design commissioned to SLD

I came up with a design for a Spring/Summer Tarp that Jared at SLD has agreed to make.

My goal was to have a quick setup tarp that would provide more coverage than an Asym, but allow for more ventilation and a great view in porch mode. It should create a nice space to sit and cook with some weather protection without risking damage to the tarp.

Basically it is Asym on one side with full coverage on the other - set up for right lay. It also has beaks designed in like a ThunderFly with snaps for better rain protection on the ends. Set-up for intenal pole mod that will run Diagonal from the head end tie-out on the two tie side to the Asym tie-out on the other.

Designed priamarily as a "stay in one place a few days" tarp, but without the pole, it should be pretty light and easy to set up for wandering mode.

Will be Silpoly XL 1.1. If this is as good as the full custom tarp I orderd and still use from SLD in 2019, I will be very happy!

[AIMG]
    Summer Tarp.JPG[/AIMG]

Curious...

Why 12' instead of 11'?

Why does the asym side provide more protection on the foot end, particularly when the feet are on the other side? I'd think I'd want the wide/asym part near my head and shoulders.

I do like the basic idea of a fly that's not totally symmetrical!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Post up some pics once you get it… inquiring minds & all that.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Curious...

Why 12' instead of 11'?

Why does the asym side provide more protection on the foot end, particularly when the feet are on the other side? I'd think I'd want the wide/asym part near my head and shoulders.

I do like the basic idea of a fly that's not totally symmetrical!
    Right lay/left lay is so confusing. I modified the drawing to show how I will lay in orientation to the tarp. I have confirmed with Jared at SLD.

My head will be on the two-tie-out side with my feet toward the asym. Went with 12' just for extra coverage on the ends. I like having a big hangout space if it rains.

Summer Tarp2.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by JT4446 View Post
    Right lay/left lay is so confusing. I modified the drawing to show how I will lay in orientation to the tarp.

That now makes sense. That's considered left lay. (Head right, feet left) I agree that it can be confusing.

I think this is a good idea. I expect quite a few people would like an 11' option.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Right lay/left lay is so confusing. I modified the drawing to show how I will lay in orientation to the tarp. I have confirmed with Jared at SLD.

My head will be on the two-tie-out side with my feet toward the asym. Went with 12' just for extra coverage on the ends. I like having a big hangout space if it rains.

Summer Tarp2.JPG
    I don't know its origins, but somehow lay direction came to be defined as foot position, such that feet right, head left is right lay and feet left, head right is left lay. Also known as 'normal' (head left) and 'reverse' (head right).

Although it makes no sense to me, there it is.

But it certainly makes more sense now in your diagram.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks for the clarification on lay to both you guys. Glad I posted because it helped me make sure I had it right with Jared. Would have been mighty upset to receive a backwards tarp because of my own mistake!

Will do!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for the clarification on lay to both you guys. Glad I posted because it helped me make sure I had it right with Jared. Would have been mighty upset to receive a backwards tarp because of my own mistake!
    The first quality hammock I ever ordered, from Dream Hammocks, I darn near made that mistake. Would've broken my heart because the production queue at that time was 9 weeks or some such!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Interesting design! Can't wait to see pics ... staying tuned.

• + New Posts