Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images

Bug Net - Underquilt Protector - Winter Topcover COMBO

Has anyone made a bug net top connected to an Underquilt Protector bottom? It seems like making a complete net that hangs under the underquilt would be a waste. And assuming you had an underquilt protector on the bottom could you then turn it so the underquilt protector was on top and have it block the wind like a winter topcover?

I had one night hanging on the beach on my tensa stand where the tarp would NOT stay hung because there was a lot of wind and the tie out points were movable. I used a summer sleeping bag over my SRL to keep the dew off of me. If I had had the above system I may have been able to stake out the topcover some and get ventilation from the bottom and coverage from dew on the top. Not really a rain solution but maybe better than nothing in the rain as well?

Looking for a pattern, or suggestions on a shape.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

I like the idea. Like a double-entry fronkey, one through the mesh and one though the UQP fabric? Then just rotate it depending on your wind needs, going for wind/dew protection instead of underquilt protection?

Hammock
    cheap old one
    Tarp
    DIY underquilt
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    I have been thinking of DIYing something similar but not a fronky style but more of a sock style. Waterproof on bottom half, noseeum on top. (I think Dutchware summer sock is actually just like this if you want to buy not make)

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAle View Post
    I have been thinking of DIYing something similar but not a fronky style but more of a sock style. Waterproof on bottom half, noseeum on top. (I think Dutchware summer sock is actually just like this if you want to buy not make)
    Dutch doesn't make socks with waterproof material. His stuff is mostly Argon 90, which has a DWR coating but is breathable. Your quilts need to breathe; otherwise, you'll get condensation in your quilts.

About the only vendor I know who sells a silnylon (non-breathable) UQP is Superior Gear - but I doubt many people buy them precisely because they're non-breathable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    2QZQ used to sell both breathable and non-breathable version. I tied non-breathable once and exchanged it for a breathable version because of condensation issues. There are full socks, all breathable material, that turn the hammock into a suspended single wall tent. You’d still want a tarp. And in the winter, there is always the challenge of minimizing heat robbing airflow while not creating a “condensation-rich” environment. The bug net itself has a degree of airflow stoppage and heat retention. Just crawl in on a hot muggy day and zip up the net. After sweltering for a few minutes, open the netting and you’ll feel how much blockage it provides.

Remember that the UQP only needs to cover the UQ, not the whole hammock. As such, it saves the user weight/bulk/cost. Unless you are using a HUG style net, the netting usually covers the full length of the hammock. You might find/create an “all-in-one-package” but there are advantages to “add-as-needed” setups. Did I mention weight/bulk/cost?

At first, the defunct Hammeck company made a hammock with combined Net and wind/privacy shield called and Envoy-S. I’m sure there are others, like the TrailLair and WarBonnet’s XLC with optional cover.

One last observation - I think you loose more heat from air flowing under the hammock - if you are tucked in the GE, the sides and UQ come up to provide some blockage. Given that, it might be ill-advised, in high wind, to remove the UQP from the bottom and move it to the top. In winter, with its condensation challenges, you probably want a tarp with door or augment your open-end tarp with a wall made of snow blocks. That’s easy to do because often you have to dig out the snow from under your hammock and it has to go somewhere.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-28-2021 at 12:18.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    cheap old one
    Tarp
    DIY underquilt
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    SilvrSurfr, you are correct, I mispoke (miswrote?), I do intend to make sure the bottom is breathable. I also plan to make a winter sock with a dwr breathable bottom and an even more breathable but windproofish top. I think I have a concept in mind where my head is actually outside the sock to eliminate a lot of the condensation potential.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAle View Post
    SilvrSurfr, you are correct, I mispoke (miswrote?), I do intend to make sure the bottom is breathable. I also plan to make a winter sock with a dwr breathable bottom and an even more breathable but windproofish top. I think I have a concept in mind where my head is actually outside the sock to eliminate a lot of the condensation potential.
    I'm sure having your head outside the sock would reduce condensation immensely. However, I think you're gonna need some way to keep your head warm and dry - maybe some combination of Shug's frost bib and something else?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Remember that the UQP only needs to cover the UQ, not the whole hammock. As such, it saves the user weight/bulk/cost. Unless you are using a HUG style net, the netting usually covers the full length of the hammock. You might find/create an “all-in-one-package” but there are advantages to “add-as-needed” setups. Did I mention weight/bulk/cost?
    Agreed. I backpack all year 'round and I'm really into the flexibility afforded by modularity... mix-n-match hammocks, quilts, nets, covers and tarps as specific conditions require.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    cheap old one
    Tarp
    DIY underquilt
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm sure having your head outside the sock would reduce condensation immensely. However, I think you're gonna need some way to keep your head warm and dry - maybe some combination of Shug's frost bib and something else?
    While I haven't been out in Shug temps, I have been overnight in my hammock down to minus 10F in the Adirondacks without my head inside a sock or anything like that. Balaklava and a ski mask if I recall correctly that night.

Warbonnet has an UQP that zips to the Eldorado bug net or top cover. That set-up may well work on other 11' hammocks. Not sure about the idea of having the UQP rotated to the top however.

• + New Posts