Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Need your opinion...Which should I sell...

Im in the southern appalachian states. With winter soon arriving, I need to sell one of my UQs. My 20* XL WB Wookie or my 0* Economy Phoenix? The WB covers better but has some miles on it but in good shape. The Phoenix has barely been used but is warmer....I love them both.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I would keep them if you like doing winter camping winter will be here soon that's my option I live in the mountains my self not far from ashiville
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Personally, I'd sell the Phoenix

0° and 3/4 length don't go together in my book.

Sounds like you don't use it much either. Keep the one you use the most. My $0.02

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post

0° and 3/4 length don't go together in my book.
    Just my opinion, but I tend to agree with Countrybois.

You don't mention whether you do a lot of backpacking. Many folks tend to buy a 3/4-length UQ to save weight in their pack. I'm a bit of a gram-counting weenie and I love my 20* 3/4-length Yeti for the weight savings on my backpacking trips. But I'm hauling out a full-length UQ once the weather drops below about 30*. At lower temps, I need to carry doubled-up Reflectix/a thicker sitpad/more something to put under my lower legs with the Yeti than I ordinarily would on warmer trips. So when the weather gets colder, there isn't any weight savings for me at that point. For you, there really isn't any significant weight savings anyway between a 0* Phoenix and a 20* Wookie all things (fill, fabric, etc.) being equal. In fact, the Phoenix may be slightly heavier. So personally, I wouldn't base my decision on weight.

So what about temperature rating? You probably won't face a lot of sub-20* temps in the southern Appalachian states, but if you are concerned about whether the 20* Wookie can be your go-to UQ on the chilliest nights, there are a number of threads on the forum that discuss ways to supplement and bump the temp rating of your insulation by as much as 10-15*. I've seen a couple of folks claiming to take their 20* insulation to below-0 temps. I'd be personally comfortable relying on the Wookie for most of the temps you're likely to face.

The condition of the quilts could factor in. But UQs, properly cared for, will be perfectly serviceable for many, many years and hundreds of hangs. Personally, I like my gear to be a little banged up and worn. It gives it character and shows that I actually use it and am not just some fair-weather frat boy. Others aren't satisfied without the latest and greatest and the slightest nick is an excuse to buy a replacement. Only you know what your preference is, but for me, condition isn't a factor until it's no longer serviceable and not repairable.

So from my way of thinking, it basically comes down to comfort. Hammocks are all about comfort. I've never slept over a Wookie or a Phoenix, but I do know that ALL my full-length UQs are more comfortable than my 3/4 Yeti. For me, the edge would almost certainly go to the Wookie (particularly when hanging in one of my WB hammocks).

If it were me and I had to sell one, I'd probably sell the Phoenix.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For all the above reasons, the Phoenix would be the one I'd sell.

And this could work out well for someone else... for a person ~5'4" or shorter, a 3/4 is practically a full length on the diagonal.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You all have about convinced me.. I do have a 40* Phoenix I could suppliment to my Wookie but its an added pound. I do backpack alot thus the idea that my 0* Phoenix would save on weight and space in my BP in coolder weather. I have to say that the 0* Phoenix is a sweet piece of gear but in the long run it seems unnecessary. I guess I will explore options to add to my Wookie that doesnt cost me an extra 1 pound +- but still adds a warmth ratio for me (as mentioned). Im pretty cold natured. Ya'll may see me in the For Sale forum depending on the alternative options. Thanks alot for chiming in!!
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 10-27-2021 at 09:19.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Interesting fence to sit on. As cmoulder said, depending upon your height, that ¾ length Phoenix could be practically full length. It is for me. Though the wookie is designed for the WB, it might be adaptable to other hammocks. But the Phoenix would work “out of the box”. If you don’t see yourself using other hammocks, I’m guessing the majorities of your nighttime temperatures would lend themselves to the 20° UQ.

When it’s cold, it is nice to just throw on the 0° gear rather than beef-up 20° equipment. You might keep everything for now, then mark on a calendar how many days you actually use your 0° quilt. I know for myself, the number of outings I plan in my mind greatly exceeds the number of times I’m actually away from the house - especially in winter.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, unless you're really short, I can't see a 0* Phoenix as a viable quilt. I can't take my 20* Phoenix below 30* F, and I would expect I couldn't take a 0* Phoenix below 30* either. They say you can stick a pad in the footbox to keep your feet warm, but that has never worked for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Banshee UL / Poltergeist SUL
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema
    Insulation
    Trailheadz 1000fp
    Suspension
    Spyder / Dutch
    I am 5'1 and interested in that Phoenix if you decide to part ways! :-D I am eagerly awaiting my Ethereal - meanwhile, my butt's cold.

• + New Posts