WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

simplified shock-cord on guylines

I’ve looked at various solutions for this. The interior shock cord inside Amsteel or the “limit” cord inside surgical tubing has appeal because of it’s cleanness. For simplicity, I usually just tie my bungee to the guyline but it doesn’t look clean and the knots are kind of fussy.

IF I use a woven guyline - like 2.2mm Amsteel - I could just feed the single strand (not doubled) bungee through the weave and tie and overhand knot stopper. Do that at both ends of the bungee with the Amstel slack between to limit the stretch. It seems any pull at all on that Amstel will constrict it down so the bungee will not pull out and I can’t imagine it working it’s way out while the guyline is stored away - if I choose to keep them separate from the tarp.

I’m leaning towards having my guylines separate from the tarps because I have more than one tarp and with them off, the tarp is a little easier to store/deploy and the bag-o-lines, would live right next to the bag-o-tarp stakes. Of course that also means one more thing to possibly forget.

I’m trying to balance lineloc 3’s that hook onto the tarp guy-outs (or hook to a loop hitched to the guy-outs if they are triangular), along with bungee with stretch limiter guylines in a manner that is simple and clean. Having to stash three very wet tarps in the jeep last week, with guy-lines all a-tangle, helped imagine how simpler it would be if I just unhooked the guyline from the tarps and slid on its snakeskin.

With the lineloc 3 hook, I can see having a tied loop at the stake end to attach there, then the line going through the Lineloc, hooking the lineloc on the tarp, and pulling the guyline for the right tension.

In that case, it seems I’d need any bungee at the stake end as the guyline length adjustment would happen at the tarp/lineloc end.

But most guyline is solid rather than woven. I’m looking for the cleanest way and best Knots to do this.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

well, i think there's two different setups here (at least). interesting thoughts btw.

1. lineloc hooks at the tarp tieout, fixed loops at the stake. with this one, i'd be tempted to integrate the shock cord in the fixed loop somehow (depending on how the fixed loop is constructed: if with a knot, or a splice). there would be various ways to do this, and i can imagine if you would want more tension or more stretch, you could arrange that by how many wraps you use (and it wouldn't be a problem at the stake. maybe)

2. maybe use my unishackle (if i may plug it here), with the blake hitch, to provide the lineloc functionality (complete with releasable connection, but all soft), and integrate a shock cord in that, this way you can have the stake side completely un-complicated. i prefer that as it means i can tie off to anything i like, not just stakes (trees, bushes, etc). one can also tie an "integrated unishackle" at this end of the guyline, to avoid having to tie knots

Images
    This isn't very sophisticated, but it's How I Do It:

I make a "rubber band" with 1/8" shockcord and attach to the rings on the tarp. Then i tie static line to the rubber band.

IMG_2348.jpg

It stuffs easily, does not get tangled, and unfurls well when taken out of the sack.

Details: I tie the rubber band with a Blood Knot (AKA Barrel Knot) to make it smooth.

You could optionally tie the static line to both the rubber band and the tarp ring if you wanted it to max out under load.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you for the suggestions. It’s so clean if you don’t want to back up the bungee so you’d still be connected if it snapped. But, you know, I’ve never come close to that happening. And if it did, it would just be a very rare inconvenience. And it wouldn’t happen by surprise. Meaning that I’m not going to go from a night time 5 mph breeze to a 55 mph gust. I’ll probably know in plenty of time that it’s time to lower the tarp and jerry-rig bungee backup.

Sometimes the easiest solution is to just let go of the concern.

(Not recklessly. I still wear a bike helmet even though I haven’t been knocked over.
    Though options differ, hitting the ground hard with my head has a different severity/consequence than a loose tarp guy point.)
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-27-2021 at 12:41.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    This isn't very sophisticated, but it's How I Do It:

I make a "rubber band" with 1/8" shockcord and attach to the rings on the tarp. Then i tie static line to the rubber band.

IMG_2348.jpg

It stuffs easily, does not get tangled, and unfurls well when taken out of the sack.

Details: I tie the rubber band with a Blood Knot (AKA Barrel Knot) to make it smooth.

You could optionally tie the static line to both the rubber band and the tarp ring if you wanted it to max out under load.
    I do similar, just overhand knotted loops of shock cord….larksheaded to the guy lines…if I ever found myself in a position where conditions could bust the doubled up shock cord I think I’d have bigger problems than guy lines!!! Kinda throws doubt over the need for super strength guy line material though!

• + New Posts