Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Video: Experience using a 71 Cloud material hammock for thru hiking

I got several questions about switching to a 71 Cloud fabric material for thru hiking.

I used it for roughly 1000 miles of the CDT and then swapped it out for a 1.2 Hexon version(Dutchware helped out with the swap of course). Moving to a .71 cloud hammock from the 1.0 hexon saved me about 2 oz from my set up but in the end I was a little too suspicious of what I as seeing in the material to continue using it for 6 day stretches in areas where replacing a hammock would be very difficult. More details in this in the video below!

I still have the hammock and will continue to use it and see what happens but will stick to the 1.0 Hexon version for any future long distance hikes.

Let me know what you think about the video and make sure to watch to the end for CDT hammock pics.

Gear reviews take quite some time so if you have any constructive feedback I would greatly appreciate it.

Happy Hammocking

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for your candid review.

For the additional weight equivalent to one energy bar, a more durable and reliable material is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I've seen a Monolite failure (not my hammock) and it still makes me shudder!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thanks for the heads up. I went with a Double Layer in the .71 Cloud. I also picked up a 1.2 Hexon (discontinued print bargain) that I can insert inside the DL Cloud for truck camping where weight isn't an issue. I really like the translucent Cloud material, but there have been several catastrophic failures with single layer Cloud hammocks reports as I'm sure you are aware of.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Thanks for your candid review.

For the additional weight equivalent to one energy bar, a more durable and reliable material is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I've seen a Monolite failure (not my hammock) and it still makes me shudder!
    I make an effort to be fair. I had a 1.0 hammock fail on me in 2017 due to me setting it up a little to close to some rocks. When it happened it looked not that bad and then I was comically folded in the rip with my but on the ground. I didn't get hurt thankfully but went with a 1.6 for the rest of the trip. I had very good luck with the 1.0 hexon hammock I used for the PCT and still would take it on a long trip no question. Thats interesting to hear about the monolight. I have a DIY hammock made out of it and the material looks simlar to the cloud at least to my untrained eye.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I went with a Double Layer in the .71 Cloud. I also picked up a 1.2 Hexon (discontinued print bargain) that I can insert inside the DL Cloud for truck camping where weight isn't an issue. I really like the translucent Cloud material, but there have been several catastrophic failures with single layer Cloud hammocks reports as I'm sure you are aware of.
    I have not heard about any catastrophic failures but I have been in the woods for the past 5 months with not much free time to read up on the subject. If others have seen similar indications it would make me even more suspicious than I already am. Given my luck or lack of luck with the material I can say I definitely believe it. Thanks for the info.

Enjoy Montana beautiful country!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I also got to thinking that it isn't the 1000 miles the cloud was put into service. Rather it is the number of nights the hammock was deployed that is more important.

Regarding MT, yes it has been a nice place to have spent this lifetime. You passed through, or close to, many of the areas I worked for almost 4 decades, e.g. Teton Wilderness, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, Scapegoat Wilderness, Mission Wilderness, Bob Marshall Wilderness, and the Great Bear Wilderness. However, having done so meant foregoing the opportunities you have enjoyed on the long trails. Deep sigh, as I tell folks there is seems to be pluses and minuses involved in whatever vocation you choose to do. In 2019, my best friend and I headed out on the AT, which you finished a bit ago, but needed to bail when pain associated with his bout with cancer caused problems. Last Saturday we planted his carcass in the military graveyard at Ft. Harrison, MT. RIP dear friend, I'll catch up to you in a bit.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I also got to thinking that it isn't the 1000 miles the cloud was put into service. Rather it is the number of nights the hammock was deployed that is more important.

Regarding MT, yes it has been a nice place to have spent this lifetime. You passed through, or close to, many of the areas I worked for almost 4 decades, e.g. Teton Wilderness, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, Scapegoat Wilderness, Mission Wilderness, Bob Marshall Wilderness, and the Great Bear Wilderness. However, having done so meant foregoing the opportunities you have enjoyed on the long trails. Deep sigh, as I tell folks there is seems to be pluses and minuses involved in whatever vocation you choose to do. In 2019, my best friend and I headed out on the AT, which you finished a bit ago, but needed to bail when pain associated with his bout with cancer caused problems. Last Saturday we planted his carcass in the military graveyard at Ft. Harrison, MT. RIP dear friend, I'll catch up to you in a bit.
    Ah. Just to clear that up I started the CDT April 23 and sent an email with my concerns on May 29 and got the new hammock in service July 1st. So it was roughly 45 nights of use based on taking some zeros and not sleeping in it every night in the desert etc.

I was lucky enough to see one of the first snows in the Bob Marshal Wilderness on top of Switchback Pass. I really enjoyed that area and all the sights. Augusta was a super nice city that I enjoyed maybe a few too many zero days in.

IMG_2933.jpg

My condolences for your friend. Everyone certainly does have to choose their own path and life. The AT was the first long distance trail I did and it runs through my home state so I will always have a bias towards the green tunnel.

• + New Posts