Hey! Just got back tonight. We were there Thursday thru Sunday. Drove up from Florida and went in at the Wood Run (24-27) trailhead which happened to be the end of 100 mile race. We got there about 2 pm so we figured we'd hike for about 2-3 hrs then try to find camp near water. Found a decent spot not too far off trail. We had a new backpacker with us, and we had him set with a hammock, tarp and gear. He was used to day hikes but this was a new thing. First night, we packed in heavy...had some steaks, mac n cheese, mashed taters. Ate like kings. New guy had set up the tarp. My buddy and I didn't. About 3am...well, we got the tarps up.

You're right about the water...we passed up collecting water on Friday morning and that turned out to be a mistake. I had under a liter after breakfast and the water by our site was kind of a trickle with small pools. We thought we'd find easier water up ahead, but it was similar small trickles. Skipped all them and didn't find anything for about 4 miles down the trail where we found a creek crossing. Water was low, but had some deeper pools and decent flow a bit further downstream where we also found a good spot for hammocks and decided to call it a night. It was far enough from the trail that most people didn't know we were there.

Saturday morning, we saw/heard the runners. While we were breaking camp, some lady tripped and fell and we could hear her hollering. Spooked us...thought maybe she was injured but turned out she was just laughing so hard she was crying. For Saturday night, we found a spot off the Uwharrie trail that was tucked back in the woods. The best spot by far. It was far enough off trail that we couldn't see anyone except glimpses of headlamps. Plenty of dead wood and good hammock trees. Plus, the creek there had some good flow.

Sunday morning, we ended up climbing "Hallucination Hill". Wasn't too bad, I only had to stop a few times to catch my breath. However the downhill was rough. A young couple passed me by, they looked pretty zombiefied. When I caught up with my buddies (I'm slow, like a turtle), they had stopped and gave the runners water. They were out and had about 3 miles to the aid station. We were planning on low miles and camp Sunday night, followed by a short hike out today then try to find some spot to shower before heading home. However, even though the terrain was a bit rougher, we were making good time and figured we could just hike the whole way out (6 ish miles?) We got out Sunday mid afternoon, so we chilled out watching a few runners come in. Can't imagine doing 30+ hours with no sleep, while trying to not fall down.

All in all, we had a good time. The hills were rough on us Florida guys but we were on Team Camp so we did pretty low miles. Didn't feel like trying to head back to Florida, so we headed over to Aberdeen for a hotel stay with a hot shower, Buffalo Wild Wings and some football and hit the road this morning about 10 am.