Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi

The Costco DIY underquilt. Will this work?

I've had my eye on making a DIY underquilt / top quilt, using the CostCo quilt.
    The specific one is one of Leiavoia's awesome one, the Gemini Quilt https://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/geminiquilt.html

Biggest issue is, the Black Diamond quilt used in most CostCo DIY quilts is never instock when I look for it (which I have for a few years now)

I came across two recently, another CostCo blanket and a Sam's club.
    Curious on which one others would recommend to work best in the above design.

https://www.costco.com/alptrek-outdo...100803453.html

or

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-m...=plp_product_1

I'm not really sure how important the vertical baffles the Gemini Quilt (linked above) are important for this working well.
    Hoping for insight into this while I can get my hands on these.

Thank you!

I have that Costco quilt for camping. It is not comparable to a down blanket. Bulkier, and heavier. I'm not sure that I would go to the trouble of making an under quilt out of one. Likewise for the Sam's Club blanket.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    I have that Costco quilt for camping. It is not comparable to a down blanket.
    That's what kills me, finding all this stuff late. All the posts and designs reference a "Double Black Diamond DOWN Throw from Costco" and I NEVER see it anymore. Just camp blankets like these. TY for your input.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I think those might be a tad difficult to make them out of. I'd made mine out of the Blue Ridge Packable Down Throw from Costco (now unavailable, and I got those because the Black Diamond became unavailable). This one looks very similar to the Blue Ridge one I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ridge-Ho...7R3XPM76&psc=1
    But it may be worth shopping around some for similarly sized down throws/blankets.
    I use an unmodified one for a topquilt in warmer weather (45*F and up) paired with the modified one for an underquilt. It becomes a little cool for me below that using them however.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by Doqueryn View Post
    That's what kills me, finding all this stuff late. All the posts and designs reference a "Double Black Diamond DOWN Throw from Costco" and I NEVER see it anymore. Just camp blankets like these. TY for your input.
    I felt the same way. The Black Diamond had been unavailable for a year or more when I got into this. I then found the Blue Ridge ones, but like I mentioned, those are now unavailable. Not sure what the next inexpensive brand of the year is going to be yet.

Images
    Down will always be nicer than synthetic fill IMHO. However the elastic clew + snap construction used on the "Gemini" model will work for literally any blanket. The dimensions might be a bit different, but the basic technique is the same. You could use a camp blanket, bed comforter, poncho, old sleeping bag, whatever.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I got the D B D quilts last winter off of Amazon

Not quite Costco pricing, but Blue Ridge Home Fashion did make the Double Black Diamond throws.

https://www.blueridgehome.com/produc...29389716455477

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Down will always be nicer than synthetic fill IMHO. However the elastic clew + snap construction used on the "Gemini" model will work for literally any blanket. The dimensions might be a bit different, but the basic technique is the same. You could use a camp blanket, bed comforter, poncho, old sleeping bag, whatever.
    HELLO!!!! I actually used one of my dads old motorcycle slumberjacks from the 70's for an underquilt, using the CLEW snap constriction! I love it, but I am thinking of gifting it to my dad, for his hammock setup (since these were his 50yrs ago). So planning ahead for a new setup for me. The Gemini is looks so great; I love well engineered DIY's, and the cleverness of this system just gets me excited! Thank you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    14.7x12 amazonCHP$
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini setup
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I think those might be a tad difficult to make them out of. I'd made mine out of the Blue Ridge Packable Down Throw from Costco (now unavailable, and I got those because the Black Diamond became unavailable). This one looks very similar to the Blue Ridge one I used:
    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ridge-Ho...7R3XPM76&psc=1
    But it may be worth shopping around some for similarly sized down throws/blankets.
    I use an unmodified one for a topquilt in warmer weather (45*F and up) paired with the modified one for an underquilt. It becomes a little cool for me below that using them however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
    Not quite Costco pricing, but Blue Ridge Home Fashion did make the Double Black Diamond throws.

https://www.blueridgehome.com/produc...29389716455477
    That's two for the same quilt. I only wish it wasn't brown

Sidenote: is this the Vryce from Medievia? Don't recall him being Canadian, but I don't recall a lot of things from the 90's.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast