Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven

Internal Wind Shield on Trail Lair

Hello all! I recently upped my hammock game and purchased a sweet Trail Lair with the wind shield option. I understand that the wind shield was moved underneath the bugnet in the last year or so. I've seen the video from Gear N' Trail (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCgCvQTISw) which is a prototype version of the wind shield on the outside of the bugnet, and the video from PapaTechie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FwVDQen3c) which was a prototype version of the wind shield on the inside of the bugnet. Those are the only reviews I've seen that include the wind shield. I'm still struggling to make the wind shield easy to use, and I'm not really sure how to best use the shock cord and mitten hooks at each end of the wind shield. Could anyone that uses the new internal wind shield post some photos and/or videos for the world to see? Other tips/advice appreciated.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use mine if I know it's going to be windy or in really cold (sub-freezing) weather. However, I just have it fully deployed/zipped out. I have not tried "adjusting" it to improve ventilation, mainly because it hasn't been necessary as the openings at each end provide plenty of ventilation (esp. when there's a breeze).

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I use mine if I know it's going to be windy or in really cold (sub-freezing) weather. However, I just have it fully deployed/zipped out. I have not tried "adjusting" it to improve ventilation, mainly because it hasn't been necessary as the openings at each end provide plenty of ventilation (esp. when there's a breeze).
    That makes sense. I feel like I'm not making full use of the features, but maybe they're not that useful features. Do you have a feel for how much it increases the temperature when cold? I haven't even used mine yet.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't think it's as much of an "increase in temperature" as it is a "minimizing of temperature loss". It makes it seem warmer by blocking the breeze, sort of like taking "wind chill" out of the equation (or minimizing it's effect). Since thermometers don't measure wind chill, I doubt you'd be able to measure the difference.

• + New Posts