Thread: Bugnet tie-outs

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Bugnet tie-outs

One of my favorite things about my warbonnet blackbird is the bugnet tie-outs that keep the bugnet away from my face. Does anyone make a kit to sew something similar into a bottom entry bugnet or other workaround to keep that bugnet off of the face? I'd have to be cautious about pulling it too tight creating an opening at the bottom.

i guess everyone is out hammock camping (almost everyone)

i have some ideas, maybe even without sewing. what do you think to attach these tieouts to, do you have some way to attach to the tarp or some other idea? depending on that, some solutions might make more sense than others

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hang my stuff sack with poop kit from the zipper of my blackbird. Keeps the bugnet just tight enough to be off face.

Maybe hang something like that from the net. Doesn't need much weight.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I carry a camp pillow it is not so much for my head (which would be tilted too much with a pillow) as it would be for a knee support OR, positioned up near my head to push the bug net out of the way. You could get an inflatable pillow to do that job and it would weigh very little. I don’t like to guy the front of the hammock as it interferes with my entry/exit. But the far side - the “shelf side” on the BlackBird is okay. That’s kind of why I like the reverse lie - head right, feet left - because it puts my head on the shelf side, which is usually guide out. And as you indicated, something in/on that shelf pulls that side a little tighter, lifting the netting.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    When I carry a camp pillow it is not so much for my head (which would be tilted too much with a pillow) as it would be for a knee support OR, positioned up near my head to push the bug net out of the way. You could get an inflatable pillow to do that job and it would weigh very little. I don’t like to guy the front of the hammock as it interferes with my entry/exit. But the far side - the “shelf side” on the BlackBird is okay. That’s kind of why I like the reverse lie - head right, feet left - because it puts my head on the shelf side, which is usually guide out. And as you indicated, something in/on that shelf pulls that side a little tighter, lifting the netting.
    This works for me in a Chameleon with a symmetrical bugnet. I didn't like the tie outs to begin with, and with the sym bugnet it was suggested to use the two points on each side to pull it open. Just more stuff to trip on. So, I just use an inflatable pillow jammed close to the side. It does a good enough job to push out the net and keep it off my face. I would assume it would do the same for OP and a bottom entry bugnet.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    i guess everyone is out hammock camping (almost everyone)

i have some ideas, maybe even without sewing. what do you think to attach these tieouts to, do you have some way to attach to the tarp or some other idea? depending on that, some solutions might make more sense than others
    I was just going to use some light shock cord to the head side pole when the tarp is in porch mode.

I know these are not a “sew on” solution, but I use these to capture the fabric of a dutchware netless along with the fronkey style bug net
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/cl...arp-pull-outs/

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by dfroman View Post
    I know these are not a “sew on” solution, but I use these to capture the fabric of a dutchware netless along with the fronkey style bug net
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/cl...arp-pull-outs/
    Perfect!!! Thanks, didn't even think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I was just going to use some light shock cord to the head side pole when the tarp is in porch mode.
    in that case, i would use some method to clip on to the fabric, similar to the pebble in the handkerchief method used for tarps. i'd most likely have a stopper knot wrapped in the bugnet, on the inside side, and trap it with the shock chord from the outside, then lead it to the porch mode pole. an alternative would be to use my "uni-shackle" for this purpose, and keep it all on the outside of the bugnet (so you'd fold the bugnet where you want to clip it, put the stopper of the uni-shackle on one side of the fold, and the capture loop on the other), this has the advantage that it's very quick and easy, no knots to tie in the field, and can be easily moved around to another position on the bugnet; these solutions are also stronger/easier on the fabric/bugnet than basically any sew on solution.

what dfroman suggests is similar, i haven't used them but they look like they would work well enough. i guess it's a matter of what you prefer, or try both and let us know which works better, but i would definitely recommend one of these solutions instead of sewn in.

now, if you really really don't like this kind of idea (maybe it looks too untidy, i can understand how it might bother some), i would also consider gluing some patches for pullouts, instead of sewing, silicone based glue, which is readily available, should work nicely (it's strong enough and flexible once cured, same stuff used for silnylon)

let us know how you go

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY

• + New Posts