Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    (I just remembered that corn fields ARE green for a few weeks...)
    We live about an hour from the Loess Hills State Forest. It's about
    12,000 acres of public greenery. Otherwise we have to travel... We just got back from Talkeetna, AK. Let's just say we have have pre-approval letters in case a property we like comes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Good question! Not quite as rare as pink camo.
    You have to go east or north from where you are to find any significant amount of THAT!

We live about an hour from the Loess Hills State Forest. It's about
    12,000 acres of public greenery. Otherwise we have to travel... We just got back from Talkeetna, AK. Let's just say we have have pre-approval letters in case a property we like comes available.
    Summer in Talkeetna is awfully nice...

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    You have to go east or north from where you are to find any significant amount of THAT!

x1080.jpeg

All kidding aside, there truly is some beautiful country in Iowa.

There really is... The sad part is that the "farm" land basically impedes on any and all wild places left. The water is tainted with high levels of nitrates making the fishing questionable, the top soil is blowing away, and what little CRP and marsh restoration land that exists is primarily along highly polluted interstate corridors. Our son graduates next spring and is subsequently joining the army full time. That's our cue to get out of here.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    She's all about the lollygag, I'm not so sure Frisco the dog is quite ready. Apparently he kept her up most of the night... I'll work with him in a cheapo double in the yard since I would like to take him backpacking as well and I am not about to go to ground for his sake. So far he's been a tent dog. I'm sure she'll be so excited when that new zero degree under quilt shows up....thankfully her favorite color is green.
    I see a Dutch pup tent purchase in your future. Make sure Frisco has on some booties before you put them in there, though, my dog forgot where he was the first night and poked a few holes in the ensuing chaos. Likes it now that he's used to it and wasn't too hard to patch up the little damage he did.

I think I'm going to make something for him. He doesn't mind a crate/kennel so I think a tent of some kind will be just right.. I think he'll feel more secure.
    Last edited by Micah; 10-18-2021 at 12:54.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I think I'm going to make something for him. He doesn't mind a crate/kennel so I think a tent of some kind will be just right.. I think he'll feel more secure.
    My husband bought a Pet Palace for his dog. It is nice with screen all the way around. That does make it cooler in the summer. However we found that this particular dog really NEEDS something more enclosed. He has high anxiety and spent the entire night on alert. The second night of our trip, we used a tarp to cover three sides. That was much more like a den and much less stressful for him.

Of course, it depends on the dog. Our previous dog had hammock camped with us with no issues. We gave her an insulated mat, a blanket, and a run line beneath the hammock and she was fine. But even she probably would have benefitted from having a little more of an enclosure to block her line of sight throughout the night and give her more of a den.

Just something to keep in mind as you plan and design. We never thought about that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    My husband bought a Pet Palace for his dog. It is nice with screen all the way around. That does make it cooler in the summer. However we found that this particular dog really NEEDS something more enclosed. He has high anxiety and spent the entire night on alert. The second night of our trip, we used a tarp to cover three sides. That was much more like a den and much less stressful for him.

Of course, it depends on the dog. Our previous dog had hammock camped with us with no issues. We gave her an insulated mat, a blanket, and a run line beneath the hammock and she was fine. But even she probably would have benefitted from having a little more of an enclosure to block her line of sight throughout the night and give her more of a den.

Just something to keep in mind as you plan and design. We never thought about that aspect.

Definitely something to think about. He's always done best in my 1p backpacking tent, anything larger and he has trouble settling down. He'll need ventilation but I don't plan for there to be excessive transparent panels. Maybe I'll post pictures in Diy when I get started. Thanks for the perspective... It sounds like our dogs are on a similar plane of spaz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast