Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Tapering Lash It

Having trouble trying to taper 1.75 Lash It to go through small holes (flies, wasps, NAMA Claws).
    Other lines I have applied heat and tapered it with my fingers.
    Doesn't seam to work so well on Lash It.

On an old thread one person talked about using super glue.
    How do others do it?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

i don't typically have to deal with this, as i have no such fancy bling, so keep in mind i don't advise from extensive experience :)

if you don't like the glue idea, two things come to mind immediately:

- take a piece of much thinner line (like sewing thread), and hitch it to the end of the lashit, it doesn't have to be fancy as it only needs to hold for so long, so a lot of turns will do, a bit like you would if you were wipping the end, the rest is obvious
    or
    - take said piece of sewing thread, it's most likely polyesther, make a few tight turns as above, apply a bit of heat to temporarily glue it there, use the hanging tail to lead and pull through the hole etc
    or
    - same material, but stitch it into the end of the lashit using a sewing needle, making a few passes through the braid of the lashit
    or (possibly the easiest if you have the material)
    - use some much thinner piece of wire, under 1mm or so, push it through the lashit braid, bend it, use the tail to lead through the hole

(both four ideas should work i think :P )

me, i'd probably just splice it or knot it, and use the hardware as decoration, but that's not what you came here to ask :)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks nanok, for now I'm going to try the super glue.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Got a two pack of super glues at the dollar store and it worked great.
    Used wax paper to quickly twist taper it with the super glue.
    Made a stiff taper that inserts easy.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I never had a problem, threading the back-spliced end of a 1.75 mm Lash-It / Zing-It line through Dutch tarp hardware. Only the Nama Claws are a bit tricky. It's best to thread them on the rope before you do the back-splice, but when I forgot it, I was able to pull the end through the Nama Claw by using some Mara 70 thread. I thread a sewing needle, go through the hinge of the Nama Claw, pierce the end of the back-splice, go back through the hinge and then pull while moving the hinge.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The stiff tapered end of the Lash It worked perfectly after applying super glue.
    I used wax paper to make the taper soon as the glue was applied.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I made a few woopies slings using zing-it last week. I used a bobbin threader for fly tying. The Barry is only about 4 or 5 inches long. I'll try it on the hammock this afternoon. I just want to see if it holds my 160 lbs.
    For regular use I use zing-it and a stinger, fly or wasp. I just wanted to see if I could make a woopie from something that small. Then I made more from branded Mason line. Surprisingly the Mason line was easier.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I made a few woopies slings using zing-it last week. I used a bobbin threader for fly tying. The Barry is only about 4 or 5 inches long. I'll try it on the hammock this afternoon. I just want to see if it holds my 160 lbs.
    For regular use I use zing-it and a stinger, fly or wasp. I just wanted to see if I could make a woopie from something that small. Then I made more from branded Mason line. Surprisingly the Mason line was easier.

Sent from my couch
    I hope that's 2.2mm Zing-it. 1.75mm is rated to 400lbs and anything less than perfection with the angles is going to make for a very sketchy hang. Just moving around in the hammock to adjust quilts can produce some surprisingly high dynamic loads.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    If I'm home I'll wrap a bit of masking tape around the tip and pinch it down real good. You can't use much or it's too thick and you're back at square one, but a small piece works good. 'course, that doesn't help if you're swapping hardware and lines at camp...

If the holes on the Dutch Flyz were just a tiny, *tiny* bit bigger I'd love them. I have a couple but swapping them to use in multiple setups is a PIA so I usually end up with Micro GLTs or Fig 9s. I like them but I'm not going to just buy more Flyz for every line and setup when it's practically a design flaw the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I hope that's 2.2mm Zing-it. 1.75mm is rated to 400lbs and anything less than perfection with the angles is going to make for a very sketchy hang. Just moving around in the hammock to adjust quilts can produce some surprisingly high dynamic loads.
    Not anything to add but just I think it bears repeating that even with the thicker of these two lines, moving around in a hammock can - depending on how lively ones gets - easily spike the load way higher than the safe weight limit on that stuff. I'm a lightweight, and for the exceedingly marginal extra 1.0078 grams I'll stick with 7/64. Much better to err on the side of safety and carry a handful of extra grams.

EDIT: What's the working load limit (WLL) of Zingit and Lashit, out of curiosity? There's a difference between the MBL and the working limit. Just wondered.
    Last edited by packman9000; 01-11-2022 at 15:30.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I think the working load is about 500. I switched to using zing-it last yr with no issues. Last week I made a zing-it woopie sling (~6"burry) and tried it in the hammock. Held fine (160 lbs), so I added my daughter (250 lbs.), them me and the wife (290 lbs.)
    I'm confused about the difference between lash-it and zing-it. I think the lash-it is stronger, 600. I know it is significantly harder to do a back splice.
    I've switched out almost all of my Dynema for zing-it. If anyone wants Dynema send me a message.

Sent from my couch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast