Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie

Question Non-permanent pole mod - pockets vs beastie d-rings

I've got a 13' superfly and I definitely want to incorporate a pole mod. While I was doing some research, I came across this thread (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...le-Mod-Pockets) about a temporary pole pocket made from grosgrain. I love the temporary nature of this setup. I'm not opposed to sewing, but I was wondering if I could accomplish the same thing with a handful of beastie d-rings and a loop of amsteel. Has anyone tried something similar?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Jay_8ch, I plan to do just that. Except maybe just cord instead of Amsteel. The only difference of retro fitting the tarp with the beasties or pre-made is you could need slightly longer poles than the option set you’d buy if you bought the tarp new with the internal pole mod option. I’ve made a set of poles using the DIY pieces from Quest (there are other sources too) and it is not difficult.

The only “extra” thought is making sure the beastie is tied on so it won’t want to twist when set with the poles. I don’t see why it would, but I recall a video on webbing buckles that claimed “this way” was more conducive to the buckle twisting that “that way”.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    That's a great observation. I didn't consider any twist. If I went with any sort of line loop, there would definitely be a twist to consider as opposed to the grosgain which would remain flat.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Actually, you can skip the Beastee Dees and just larkshead a loop to your tie-outs and then also larkshead to the tip of the poles. I did that for a period of time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Actually, you can skip the Beastee Dees and just larkshead a loop to your tie-outs and then also larkshead to the tip of the poles. I did that for a period of time.

Do you mean with grosgrain? Or how do you keep a cord from slipping off the pole ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_8ch View Post
    Do you mean with grosgrain? Or how do you keep a cord from slipping off the pole ends?
    There's a photo from Rain Man in the thread you referenced in the initial post.

Why make this mod "temporary"? It seems that would be a way to try out a pole mod to see if you wanted to go that route without making a permanent mod. Why not re-sew the loops on the rainfly edge and add Beasties? Or just sew on pockets, as you stated that you're not opposed to sewing. Or even add a grommet to the loop if there's enough space.

[ Maybe the Beastie is not the piece of hardware that is actually called for here. Wondering if the hole is small enough for this purpose(?) ]
    Last edited by TominMN; 10-14-2021 at 07:56.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    There's a photo from Rain Man in the thread you referenced in the initial post.

Why make this mod "temporary"? It seems that would be a way to try out a pole mod to see if you wanted to go that route without making a permanent mod. Why not re-sew the loops on the rainfly edge and add Beasties? Or just sew on pockets, as you stated that you're not opposed to sewing.

[ Maybe the Beastie is not the piece of hardware that is actually called for here. Wondering if the hole is small enough for this purpose(?) ]

Time basically. I'm not opposed to having it sewn but it takes time as opposed to be throwing some beasties on a loop before I go camping this weekend.

And I was referring to inner pole mod instead of the exterior mod like Rain Man. I should've been more specific.

Time basically. I'm not opposed to having it sewn but it takes time as opposed to be throwing some beasties on a loop before I go camping this weekend
    Sounds like a reasonable "band-aid"!

I don't know if it would make a difference with a Superfly, but I did the beastie D mod to another tarp and it works great. I used narrow loops of webbing through them, with the ends sewn. And then larksheaded them on to my tieout loops on the tarp. Removable. And then shock cord like in this video to keep them in position.

https://youtu.be/dNFx_pnhJHg

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    A simple larks head knot and slip over the pole tip.

This probably only works well if you have 'stepped' pole tip.

Since I am not at home I'll have to improvise a photo..... Something like this

Second photo is the pole tips you'll need for either this method or the 1/2" Beastee Dee.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast