Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The “twist” may be a non-issue because the concern where I read about it had to do with flat surfaces and distortion of the way webbing would bind in the buckle. With a pole, it’s more a a one “point” contact and the angle of any connection between the retro fitted beastie and the tarp doesn’t seem like it would matter much.

Just larksheadng the pole end, as Countrybois pointed out, seems to be a natural first step anyway - to get the distance/length figured out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    A simple larks head knot and slip over the pole tip.

This probably only works well if you have 'stepped' pole tip.

Since I am not at home I'll have to improvise a photo..... Something like this

Second photo is the pole tips you'll need for either this method or the 1/2" Beastee Dee.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah, I see what you mean now. I was going to try and reuse some spare tent poles that don't have tips like that so that's where I got confused. Thanks for clarifying.

mmm, that's an interesting idea, but if you want quick and doable with "available materials" (even in the field), i'd just use a piece of your favourite guyline spare (just not dyneema), hitch it to your desired tieout on the tarp, and then, with the hanging tail, icicle hitch to the pole. just make sure you get the direction of the icicle hitch right, as it is asymmetrical (which is partly why it is so good).

the only disadvantage with this approach is that it will cost you a bit of pole length on each side (so not the most efficient in terms of pole real estate), but shouldn't be too bad either

edit: a bit easier might be a pile hitch with some extra turns, but i haven't tried it on a really slick pole to tell you how well it would work (hmm, maybe i should). i do use the pile hitch to attach the guyline to a treking pole for instance for porch mode, and i would highly recommend it for that at least, it's better for that purpose than any other solution i've tried (not the least because it is so easy and quick to tie in the middle of the rope, and also to re-adjust)

anyway, let us know how it goes, improvised solutions like this are very nice to have handy, so useful experimentation for everyone (you are doing important research, we expect thorough data :P )
    Last edited by nanok; 10-14-2021 at 18:58.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    I am used for my superfly beastie and small loop of zingit .
    Works like a charm!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Shichimi, How long the poles for that interior setup? What size Beasties?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by shichimi View Post
    I am used for my superfly beastie and small loop of zingit .
    Works like a charm!
    THIS! See, I knew I wasn't the first person that had this idea.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I realize this is not directly a pocket vs beastie d response, but I wonder if something like a tent pin and ring would work for you. Simply attach the split ring to the tie out points, then insert the pin into the pole end like you would on a tent. You would need poles without end caps of course, but that's a quick, easy mod.

pin-and-ring-system.jpg

Simple, no knots, no tying, no sewing, easily removable, fairly lightweight, and cheap.
    Has anybody tried this? What would be the drawbacks other than ensuring your poles are the right length?

I'm strictly an external pole mod guy myself. I'm weight conscious and don't use pole sets. I use my trekking poles or scavenged, stripped tree branches instead. I can't do that with an internal pole mod.
    But you've got me thinking about it all the same.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I realize this is not directly a pocket vs beastie d response, but I wonder if something like a tent pin and ring would work for you. Simply attach the split ring to the tie out points, then insert the pin into the pole end like you would on a tent. You would need poles without end caps of course, but that's a quick, easy mod.

pin-and-ring-system.jpg

Simple, no knots, no tying, no sewing, easily removable, fairly lightweight, and cheap.
    Has anybody tried this? What would be the drawbacks other than ensuring your poles are the right length?

I'm strictly an external pole mod guy myself. I'm weight conscious and don't use pole sets. I use my trekking poles or scavenged, stripped tree branches instead. I can't do that with an internal pole mod.
    But you've got me thinking about it all the same.
    You know, I thought about this first since I'm using some recycled tent poles but I use snakeskins on my 13' superfly and didn't want to risk poking holes in it with the split-ring pins

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I used some washers from a hardware store and braided mason's line instead of a beastie dee. I ran a few loops of the mason's line through the washer and then larks headed it to my tie-outs. If try this route, make sure the washer is the correct size for your pole plus the loops of mason's line.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    I used some washers from a hardware store and braided mason's line instead of a beastie dee. I ran a few loops of the mason's line through the washer and then larks headed it to my tie-outs. If try this route, make sure the washer is the correct size for your pole plus the loops of mason's line.
    Ooooo, washers are an interesting alternative too. Great DIY solution if you don't have any beastie's

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast