Images

Tensa4 commercial hammock stand with counter weights at both ends

In a previous recent Tensa thread, I had mentioned about how I was using dumbbells as a foot end tether. There was a back up strap to a 2x4 or shoe behind the closet door. I was fairly sure that the back up cord never even got any force applied to it, the dumbbells did it all. I thought about 80 lbs, but turned out to be a bit less.

Anyway, I took it outside today to experiment, just to make sure that it was safe, especially as I experimented with even lower weights, but using a boom stake as back up, rather than the closet door.

Worked great. I started out with one dumbbell of 37 lbs( I am about 205 lb today), and I'll be darned if it wasn't just almost enough! It is certainly enough just to reduce force on a questionable boom or orange stake or some tether point indoors that I might be worried about. Like a closet door or desk leg or whatever. It mainly came up off the ground only briefly when I would get in or out or shif my weight around, maybe way towards the head end. Here is a picture of me settled in a Claytor No Net, and you can see one end is lifted up, and I think you can tell that the back up orange strap is just barely loose.

In this picture, it looks to me like the single dumbbell is more solidly on the ground, and the orange back up tether looks a tiny bit looser to me. Perhaps I had shifted my weight just slightly mpre towards the foot end.

Next is 2 dumbbells, roughly 74 lbs. Both dumbbells are solidly on the ground and the orange tether is loose. The weights only move one time, when I got up a bit too fast and carelessly, probably with my weight too far towards the head end. But basically, it held just fine. I think I will do something like this whenever I am hanging indoors, with whatever else I strap to just serving as additional back up, but which will be pretty safe from damage.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I like it. Now to figure out how to add weight in a hotel room. I almost wrecked a lamp table and also what seemed to be a heavy chair (it wasn't), before finding a door stop installed into a concrete floor.

The game is the best teacher.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    I like it. Now to figure out how to add weight in a hotel room. I almost wrecked a lamp table and also what seemed to be a heavy chair (it wasn't), before finding a door stop installed into a concrete floor.

Well, the best thing about this experiment was it lead me to realize that I was pulling a lot less force than I had thought. At least I am by putting the weight straight down under the apex, don't know if that makes any difference. So, this gives me more confidence about being able to use a close door with a shoe or 2X4 on the other side.

But, do motel rooms often have a door available inside the room, something strong with hinges? Hmmmm, don't know, probably not always. But whatever is available, the force placed on it can be reduced by hanging some weights below the apex. But how often do I have 74 lbs, or even 37 lbs, of barbells available when I am in a motel room? Not often. But, as Tensa has previously recommended: some collapsible water bottles? A heavy suitcase? A traveling companion?

A five gallon collapsible water sack will weigh just over 42 pounds when filled with fresh water.

• + New Posts