Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donig View Post
    $835?! You could get a couple of Tensa stands for that price!
    I don't expect this company to be around long with those prices.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well I think there are threads here about YOBO from 5 years ago so it’s not a brand new company…

But the general lack of quality reviews of them makes me skeptical. I’m not convinced it offered better prices, weight, reliability etc compared to the other options.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    For sure....slope pitch possible~~
    Shug

Leave it to Shug!!! LOL--you sure can't beat a Tensa4!!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I bet that for that kind of price, Tensa would be willing to consider a special-order carbon fiber version of their stand!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by villagelock View Post
    https://yobogear.com/shop/cricket-hammock-stand/

I'm not sure how well this would on a slope or uneven terrain.
    The Tensa4, with only 2 ground contact points, you can use almost anywhere.
    The legs are adjustable with the sliding pins.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by MutterMumble View Post
    Well I think there are threads here about YOBO from 5 years ago so it’s not a brand new company…

But the general lack of quality reviews of them makes me skeptical. I’m not convinced it offered better prices, weight, reliability etc compared to the other options.
    I have had the opportunity to set one up and use it. Background - I have had a Tensa stand and wasn't happy with the size of it (needed to spread out widthwise) and it was a bit finicky. I ended up selling it. Was hoping it could be used for trade shows however the size just didn't work. It was also an interesting challenge to use with a normal tarp.

Out of the box it was set up in 10 minutes perfectly (first time). Much of that time was simply taking the tape off the telescoping legs (sliding sections with pins) that came initially for shipping. The quality of the hubs (machining) is phenomenal. The legs and such are nicely done, no edges and not bare aluminum. I also got the freedom hubs to be able to use it without the stand setup. Simple anchors. Watching the videos on the strength of the legs, amazing. The legs have some adjustment so you can have uneven ground, maybe not on the side of a hill but there is some.
    My initial setup of a Tensa... lets not go there.. comparison of quality is not in the same ball park.
    But yes, it's a lot of money which will deter many people. Was super impressed with the support online when contacting them and asking questions. Very friendly.
    Looking forward to tradeshows... haven't been one around here since C-19 started.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I have had the opportunity to set one up and use it. Background - I have had a Tensa stand and wasn't happy with the size of it (needed to spread out widthwise) and it was a bit finicky. I ended up selling it. Was hoping it could be used for trade shows however the size just didn't work. It was also an interesting challenge to use with a normal tarp.

Out of the box it was set up in 10 minutes perfectly (first time). Much of that time was simply taking the tape off the telescoping legs (sliding sections with pins) that came initially for shipping. The quality of the hubs (machining) is phenomenal. The legs and such are nicely done, no edges and not bare aluminum. I also got the freedom hubs to be able to use it without the stand setup. Simple anchors. Watching the videos on the strength of the legs, amazing. The legs have some adjustment so you can have uneven ground, maybe not on the side of a hill but there is some.
    My initial setup of a Tensa... lets not go there.. comparison of quality is not in the same ball park.
    Firesong, I held off commenting when you made similar remarks on your IG, as I don't want to be reactive or contentious on "your channel," but I will respond to name checking here. I don't question the high fabrication quality of the YOBO stands, or begrudge competition. The Cricket is remarkably lightweight for a truly free-standing design, and I respect the years of effort that it represents. YOBO gets a lot of praise for friendly and responsive service, and I would wish them well even if our products were priced more competitively. Also, they do both marketing and instructional videos way, way better than we do.

From your remarks about Tensa4, I wish you'd contacted us about setup difficulties or disappointment with quality, for assistance or refund/replacement. Your 2018 stand was from our first production using custom keyed tubing, and I do think we came out the gate a little hot, bootstrapping from public prototype here on Hammock Forums to production shipping in under one year, while we both held other day jobs. That first production, we didn't chamfer or soften the tube end cuts. This embarrasses me now. Starting with the next batch in 2019, we did, and do to this day. We have also improved the connection/suspension scheme significantly, redesigned/improved the feet twice, reduced pole slop and strengthened them with greater overlaps between telescopic segments, introduced tarp extensions to handle up to 13'ers, and solved issues of the spring buttons knocking out of place with rough handling, as in shipping. Most of these improvements retrofit to older production, to protect the investments of all customers. Also we improved the documentation from a 1-page tip sheet to a 9-page color booklet complete with adjustment/troubleshooting table that's greatly cut down the fiddle and frustration factors for new users. For all these reasons, I think your criticism of our 2018 offering is understandable but anachronistic emerging in almost 2022. Meanwhile, YOBO's Kickstarter dates from January 2017.

About finickiness, I would like to know the real-world comparative setup times of both of our stands by users who have practiced. Ours might be slower the first time as a direct consequence of it being far more adjustable/flexible than the fixed-geometry Cricket. But after practice, which reflects user experience over the long term, I'll wager ours goes up faster, especially if you keep it collapsed like an umbrella under a bed, in a closet, or truck bed as many do their DIY tensahedrons. Anyway these many initial adjustments take time, the first time anyway, but they are key to a wider range of fit: Tensa4 fits up to 12' gathered-end hammocks, bridge hammocks with their much longer spans and lower hang points, and even 90-degree hammocks with their much higher and closer hang points. Footprint? With only 2 feet it fits on top of a log, or a twin bed transverse, and on slopes up to almost 30°. I've slept weeks with the baseline as narrow as 4', and the top span needn't be much longer than the ridgeline of whatever hammock you're using, as you can leave some segments collapsed in a pinch. Ours fits not just most 11' GE hammocks, but will also properly tension the 281cm ridgeline of the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, which is longer than most, while allowing for the prescribed much lower head end, still preserving an 18" sit height. Will Cricket? A (happy, and German) Cricket user says not: https://www.haengemattenforum.de/thr...4678#post84678

Your interest in Tensa4 was at least partly as a potential dealer in Canada. We were already learning that our prices were too low for anything but a customer-direct sales model, meaning very poor dealer margins, especially after international shipping. While YOBO uses more expensive materials in a more complex design, I suppose the price might be high enough to support dealers, even internationally, where the lower weight eases shipping costs. This is pure speculation, but if you're a potential dealer it makes your assessment almost as conflicted/suspect as mine

If I were looking for a trade show stand, I would totally consider a Cricket if it fit my hammocks, as lacking need for any sort of guyline in those vast, barren, and utterly windless halls. It works where there is gravity: easy sell, WITH your hammock. If a hammock-curious customer can lay down properly, they’re sold. Plus, the stand makes the hammock and even quilts seem so reasonable, and taken together it's still a better value than a fancy mattress.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-28-2021 at 18:28.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    About finickiness, I would like to know the real-world comparative setup times of both of our stands by users who have practiced. Ours might be slower the first time as a direct consequence of it being far more adjustable/flexible than the fixed-geometry Cricket. But after practice, which reflects user experience over the long term, I'll wager ours goes up faster,
    I would agree with this 100% (I’ve been camping with mine now for 3 years). With all the changes that Tensa made from the original product and with practice, I could get a Tensa stand setup faster, but not by much. At first,the Tensa setup my feel finicky but once you dial in the stand to your hammock it goes right up. The keyed tubes are a great feature that helps cut setup time down. I will also say that my experience with both Tensa and Yobo have been wonderful on both fronts. In fact, I have had more experience with Tensa and they have always gone above and beyond to help me out with product and questions (probably why I own 2 Tensa4s and 2 Solos).

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Hi
    You don't need to try and make me seem like I am 'Shilling' for a company that I am not. I am not planning on selling these. In fact I so liked the stand I asked if I could offer a discount but had no desire at all to make a commission from them. That's one thing I hate. It puts any review on youtube or insta or FBook as suspect.

As for ease of setup their pole sets could also be preset up to make things even faster. So really that's not something I'm concerned about. Maybe I should have contacted you on how to make it work but as I indicated it takes up to large of a foot print to display something properly on. Booths have a set size and each upsize becomes expensive. I worked from the documentation, from the videos circulating and figured it was too finicky.

My hammocks use a 111" RL, That XLC coverts from 281cm to 110" (that you mentioned). Yes, the hammocks fit fine with room to spare. Else why would I say I could use it to properly display my hammocks and more important for personal reasons.. Use it out in the wild with my gear. Edit. Got the translate to work on the website. One thing for their tarp is the extensions should be on the outside of the apex rather than how they showed in the pictures of that link however. Should make the tarp easier to set up.

Tarp setup.. I didn't even cover that.. hadn't even thought about what's needed for a Tensa 4 for tarps if trees aren't around.
    Anyway no shilling going on here if that's what you were implying.
    Last edited by Firesong; 11-26-2021 at 13:58.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Hi
    You don't need to try and make me seem like I am 'Shilling' for a company that I am not. [...]
    Anyway no shilling going on here if that's what you were implying.
    Oh, missed the or maybe it wasn't enough. No intent to offend; sorry if I missed the mark. I was trying to self-own the hypocrisy. Yes, I too hate that I can't engage on stuff I'm passionate about because my commercial interest contaminates credibility. Good to know that the Cricket works with your 111" ridgelines. On the German site they're using Tensa tarp extensions.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 11-26-2021 at 15:21.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast