Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Escarpment Trail End to End Hike Through Catskills NY

"Escarpment, which means there is an abrupt change in elevation—most commonly a slope or cliff—that is caused by erosion, gives an indication of the landscape of the trail."

"These are also the fabled mountains, on the southern end of the trail, where the legendary Dutchman, Rip Van Winkle slept undisturbed for 20 years."

Those being quotes from articles I read while researching for the trail…

We completed the end to end hike ( 25 miles ) of the Escarpment trail in 3 days / 2 nights. For anyone who is a fairly strong hiker and has limited time and would love to see the Catskills at its BEST, I would 100% recommend hiking this trail, starting at Rt.23 and finishing on Schutt road near North South Lake campground. This easily has become my favorite trip in the Catskills. From the very first steps.. it just kept getting better and better each mile hiked. Stunning view after view after view and hiking along the cliffs and ledges made this an unforgettable one!!

Bob and Mike slept in their hammocks while I slept in my Borah Gear Snowyside eVent bivy.. no condensation at all.. I did sleep with it open and not zipped up.. giving me a spectacular show of stars in the clear skies on night #2.

If you are thinking of doing a trip in the Catskills, the Escarpment trail should be a priority. It is by no means a beginner trail, so be cautioned.. however, if you are a fairly strong hiker you will be fine doing this in 3 days. Do not let it deter you if you feel you are not a strong hiker though… simply take more time and days to do it!!! The trail is well maintained and easy enough to follow. We went out on Wednesday to Friday and had every single view point to ourselves and about 98% of the trail to ourselves until near the end at North South Lake area, where there will always be a lot of people day hiking. I will be doing this trail again, I would love to do it in winter with snow and ice and leaves down! Hope you enjoy the video I put together and again, if you are looking for a trip in Catskills.. Escarpment trail should be top priority!!

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. If you are planning this trip I can help you out with what I know..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hey Dirtbaghiker, thanks for making a really cool video (lotta extra work!) and for having MikekiM and me along!

That is one heckuva hike and one of the few snippets I hadn't done in the Catskills, which was Blackhead down to N-S Lakes. I'll admit that it was a bit harder than I expected, but it was great to see some real fall colors and breathe some cool air up high, and finally to have a couple of nights in a row without rain or wind. Made for some really mellow camping.

I think this pic of you at one of the many great viewpoints says it for me...

20211008_080712-M2-SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks Bob!! Awesome picture too!! I love it. Great time with you and Mike. Yes, Im glad I finally hiked this trail in full end to end! Near perfect weather too with some nice colors!!

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Very nicely done as usual.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    And thank you too @Bobonli

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Nice video Dirtbag & looks like a fun trip with some tough hiking in parts. I love all the Fall colors as the leaves start turning... best time of the year to get out in the woods. Cool too when you get views that showcase only mountain tops poking through the clouds, looks like islands in the sky.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @obdewlax thanks!! Yes the colors were there. Not quite peak, but they were definitely beginning to pop! The mountain tops poking through the low laying clouds was a special treat!!! That was really cool to see.. definitely pretty wild!!

• + New Posts