Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you have some suspension- as opposed to just hanging from the hammocks continuous loops- and your head contacts the stand- you can also lengthen the head end suspension a few inches while tightening the foot end an equal amount. This might land you in more of a sweet spot where neither head nor foot contacts the stand.
    All great suggestions, right now I hang directly in the continuous loops I will play with it some more this weekend and see if I can find that sweet spot

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Valhalla, it just dawned on me that if you are using your XLC’s original suspension, you probably don’t have suitable continuous loops to hang your hammock directly onto the Tensa, thus bypassing using your webbing straps or whoopies. Thinking back, I just remembered that I long ago added secondary continuous loops to my XLC that had whoopies and to my daughter’s Blackbird that had buckle straps. When hanging from trees, I prefer Dutch’s Spiders over Warbonnet’s Amsteel whoopies or webbing buckles, so I’ve larks-headed continuous loops around the knobby ends of my Warbonnet hammocks. You don’t have to even remove the original straps or whoopies to do that. It’s cheap and easy to do and then you can use either the continuous loops with a different suspension set up (Dutch’s spiders from trees; directly onto the Tensa with no suspension straps) or you can use the original Warbonnet suspension. Simply adding continuous loops gives you more options!

I’m posting pics of the end of my daughter’s Blackbird with a blue continuous loop added in addition to its current buckle straps (actually those are Dutch buckles rather than the original Warbonnet buckles) and of my XLC with a silver continuous loop added in addition to its original whoopie sling. If you made or bought a pair of 12-15 inch continuous loops from Dutch or from Jared and larks-headed them over the knobby ends of your XLC and then hung the continuous loops directly over the ends of your Tensa, your hammock would be higher off the ground without having to narrow your base up as much. I’d go with the longer version of continuous loops, not the shorter. You WOULD have to use the Tensa tarp extension set, then, though, if you were going to hang your tarp on your Tensa.

Below is a picture of my hang last weekend. I was using my 11 foot Trail Lair (which is MUCH stretchier than my XLC, so it always tends to hang lower to the ground than my XLC would if hung from the same place). Because I WANT my hammock at comfortable sitting level and I’m short (4’ 11”), I have the base of my Tensa spread really wide—much wider than I’d need to spread it to still avoid bumping into the frame when stretched out diagonally in the hammock. I posted this photo, though, to show you how HIGH the ends of the hammock are when you hang directly from the continuous loops. If you zoom in on the red circled areas, you can see how the fabric of the ends of my hammock comes right up to the top of the Tensa poles. That’s how you can gain another three or four inches of height off the ground for your hammock without narrowing your base. Hanging straight from a pair of continuous loops will shorten the ridgeline length of your Tensa set up…thus you WILL need to use the Tensa tarp extension set to use your 11 foot ThunderFly…OR you could do what I did this last trip and hang your tarp between two trees and just set your Tensa up underneath. YES… I DO prefer hanging from my Tensa EVEN when I have suitable trees on hand!

Looking again at your hammock hanging from the Tensa and comparing it to mine hanging from my Tensa, I think you could easily get your hammock about four inches higher off the ground by adding continuous loops to the ends of your hammock and hanging the loops directly into your Tensa frame. This would not require you to narrow your base…just require you to shorten the Tensa ridgeline (if you’re even USING the Tensa ridgeline—you don’t need it with your XLC since it has its own structural ridgeline). So, your hammock would sit higher without your head touching the Tensa frame. No one wants their head rubbing the frame!

Your hammock:

My hammock:

BTW, I use a ThunderFly with my Tensa, too. Great tarp!!!
    Great post! I'll give it a shot good idea about not using the tensa suspension

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    If you have some suspension- as opposed to just hanging from the hammocks continuous loops- and your head contacts the stand- you can also lengthen the head end suspension a few inches while tightening the foot end an equal amount. This might land you in more of a sweet spot where neither head nor foot contacts the stand.
    This is a good suggestion. This is what I have done when hanging my Eldorado on the Tensa4. I connect the foot end to the stand just using the continuous loop, then hang the head end with the suspension strap, and adjust it from there. Works great, especially with the Warbonnet hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Valhalla, it just dawned on me that if you are using your XLC’s original suspension, you probably don’t have suitable continuous loops to hang your hammock directly onto the Tensa, thus bypassing using your webbing straps or whoopies. Thinking back, I just remembered that I long ago added secondary continuous loops to my XLC that had whoopies and to my daughter’s Blackbird that had buckle straps. When hanging from trees, I prefer Dutch’s Spiders over Warbonnet’s Amsteel whoopies or webbing buckles, so I’ve larks-headed continuous loops around the knobby ends of my Warbonnet hammocks. You don’t have to even remove the original straps or whoopies to do that. It’s cheap and easy to do and then you can use either the continuous loops with a different suspension set up (Dutch’s spiders from trees; directly onto the Tensa with no suspension straps) or you can use the original Warbonnet suspension. Simply adding continuous loops gives you more options!

I’m posting pics of the end of my daughter’s Blackbird with a blue continuous loop added in addition to its current buckle straps (actually those are Dutch buckles rather than the original Warbonnet buckles) and of my XLC with a silver continuous loop added in addition to its original whoopie sling. If you made or bought a pair of 12-15 inch continuous loops from Dutch or from Jared and larks-headed them over the knobby ends of your XLC and then hung the continuous loops directly over the ends of your Tensa, your hammock would be higher off the ground without having to narrow your base up as much. I’d go with the longer version of continuous loops, not the shorter. You WOULD have to use the Tensa tarp extension set, then, though, if you were going to hang your tarp on your Tensa.

One caution: If you're going to depend on the hammock's SRL, you want those added CLs to pick up the ends of the SRL just as the loops with buckles do. If all of the load is on the Tensa's SRL, no worry.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    One caution: If you're going to depend on the hammock's SRL, you want those added CLs to pick up the ends of the SRL just as the loops with buckles do. If all of the load is on the Tensa's SRL, no worry.
    Oh, wow, TominMN! That's a really good point that I absolutely had not thought of! So far I've skated by without observable consequence, but I SHOULD attach my SRL to the CL's that I've secondarily attached to my WB hammocks!

Just wanted to say how perfect the tensa4 is for moto camping. Just did a shakedown with the stand anchored to the motorcycle. Security and comfort ! These are photos from a shakedown ride today for an impending round the world trip I'm planning next year

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Great setup Valhalla. I agree, the Tensa4 has changed my motorcycle trips for the better. No more worries about finding specific places to stop for the night; it can just be anywhere. Nice bike too.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    no center stand I see so just put the bike it first gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    no center stand I see so just put the bike it first gear?
    Yup the way the forces work on the stand it only puts less than half of my body weight on the bike (205/2=102.5 lbs or less) so first Gear and the Sidestand are more than enough on a ~470 lb bike all loaded up

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's (one) of the great things about the Tensa4 and motorcycle travel; it is basically self-supporting, even when the ground won't support a traditional anchor. My bike is pushing 850 lbs with fuel and all my crap. Using it as a foot-end anchor for my Tensa4 works fantastic. Doesn't even wiggle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast