Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SnyperX, I'll post a trip report where I had to use my Solo for three out of eight nights while circumnavigating Orcas Island in the San Juans. I usually say weight/bulk is not much of an issue with kayak camping. But ... The Tensa4 (and Solo) still need anchors - though the Tensa4, not so much. Because of that, the ultimate Plan-B would be a free-standing tent - no anchors required at all. That said, A tarp and a ground sheet would work as well. On this expedition, we came across youth camp groups that just laid down a ground sheet, then attached a tarp to a picnic table bench on one side and held the other side down with rock "anchors" so its appearance was wedge-shaped. The camper just crawled under the tarp. I forgot to ask what they do about mosquitoes (maybe an application of repellent at night).

So now I have a Plan A, B, and C. Plan A is the hammock proper (two trees). Plan B is the hammock with one natural support and Tensa Solo. Plan C is go-to-ground, either using the hammock as a netted bivi bag or a formal small tent (that weights less and costs less than a Tensa4).

That's not to say the Tensa4 doesn't have its place. It has a lot less bulk than a commercial TurtleDog Stand. And many, many formal campsites only left the trees between designated sites - which can create territorial issues with the neighboring site.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Stormstaff, I see nothing wrong. Will note that you appear to have tensioned the head end guyline. We recommend leaving it slack. The more you tension it, the more you pre-load the poles, which in extreme cases could lower the weight rating. No slack also means no give in the system, let's say a person or animal bumps into it: more robust to let things move.

You may prefer to remove the stand's ridgeline. It is essentially redundant with the hammock's. Cleaner without, though the stand's ridgeline makes for cleaner setup and takedown, the stand staying up without hammock hung.

You have the hammock biased headward with asymmetric suspension lengths. Again this is fine. But IF you have issues with your head bumping a pole, a remedy would be to lengthen head suspension, shorten foot.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I did loosen the head end some but I'll let it out more next time. I'll definitely look at taking the ridgeline off the stand.

I believe that I hung the hammock similar to the Shug showed hanging his with the adjustment on the foot end but I'll play around with it more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    I did loosen the head end some but I'll let it out more next time. I'll definitely look at taking the ridgeline off the stand.

I believe that I hung the hammock similar to the Shug showed hanging his with the adjustment on the foot end but I'll play around with it more.

I do keep my head end guy line loose. It tightens bit when I get in the hammock but not tight tight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I do keep my head end guy line loose. It tightens bit when I get in the hammock but not tight tight.
    Shug
    I meant the actual hammock when I mentioned you, CL on one pole on the head end and a little adjustment on the foot end.

I'll definitely try to loosen the head end more next time I mess with it

Images
    Stormstaff: "Do you see anything wrong in the pictures?"
    The head end tether maybe being too tight has already been mentioned. You might have more tilt than needed. Or not. Which should not really be an issue but it might shift you more towards the head than needed, maybe? If so, the more towards the head the less shoulder room and the more force on the foot end anchor. Y'all correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-25-2022 at 20:17.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Another question. Has anyone used these in the winter? Any issues from the button locks? Winter staking? Are the boom stakes strong enough for the foot end in the winter?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Another question. Has anyone used these in the winter? Any issues from the button locks? Winter staking? Are the boom stakes strong enough for the foot end in the winter?

I’ve used mine in the winter. I’ve not ever had any issues with the button locks. I’ve gotten in the habit of anchoring my Tensa to the vegetation (shrubs, trees, whatever). I only use the stakes as a last resort since the places I camp most often tend to have really rocky ground that’s frustrating to use stakes in, so I can’t offer you any insight as to how the boom stakes do in winter ground.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Ok, I'm starting to figure out the stand (little by little) but I need help with the tarp extensions please. I'll go back through the post and see if I can find what I need but I'm having issues figuring it out.

In my defense, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Hi Stormstaff. Looks good, except I put my tarp extensions on the opposite side of the Tensa poles, using the 2 end-caps as a fulcrum rather than the loops like you have it. Other than that, you are there!

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast