SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Wow! Way to go Dublinlin! You all are inspiring me to get my Tensa stand out this weekend and goof off with it.
    Thanks!!! You should, Crazytown3!!!…and post pics to prove you did!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    That's great!
    You should post a pic over on the "One Tree" hangs. Think that you'd be the first bi-pole.
    Thanks, Low Tech! I might just head over there and do that, but I wish now that I’d brushed the leaves away so it showed the anchoring more clearly. Hmmm…maybe I NEED to goof off with my Tensa again this weekend…just so I can get more technically detailed pics, to post in the “One Tree” hangs, you know!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-24-2021 at 19:58.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Well, no pics, because I didn't get the stand out. Became involved in some other things and then that was that. Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    Question?? Does the use of Amsteel over webbing warrant the difference in price? Does it work much better or is it just cleaner? Thanks...

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by bliksem View Post
    Question?? Does the use of Amsteel over webbing warrant the difference in price? Does it work much better or is it just cleaner? Thanks...
    The only functional benefit of Amsteel over webbing is that it’s lighter and more compact. It is also stronger, but webbing is already much stronger than necessary. It is also visually lighter and cleaner. If you plan to get a Solo conversion kit, the light weight could matter. I submit it does not with a stand over 10lbs.

The price difference reflects cost difference, material and labor.

The webbing guylines have integral daisy loops, and we add carabiners. This means you don’t need to provide your own hammock suspension: just clip and go. Amsteel users must have a way to hang the hammock with adjustment ranges down to a few inches. Accordingly we have a higher tech support burden with the Amsteel option, and even some failures from users incorrectly attaching their own suspension around both poles, so the weight pinches the poles together, causing them to bend and potentially buckle.

For all these reasons we will soon make webbing the only choice. Those who know they want Amsteel lines will be able to order those additionally. Offering them as an alternative to webbing at time of purchase, we think many users mistakenly choose Amsteel on the assumption that it is better because it is more expensive. Many of these users order webbing separately later, while very few customers order Amsteel line sets after first getting webbing.

Amsteel is easier to loop around door hinge pins for indoor setups than webbing. If you can open the door however, you can just pinch the sewn stopper end of the webbing between door and frame to secure.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    The only functional benefit of Amsteel over webbing is that itÂ’s lighter and more compact. It is also stronger, but webbing is already much stronger than necessary. It is also visually lighter and cleaner. If you plan to get a Solo conversion kit, the light weight could matter. I submit it does not with a stand over 10lbs.

The price difference reflects cost difference, material and labor.

The webbing guylines have integral daisy loops, and we add carabiners. This means you donÂ’t need to provide your own hammock suspension: just clip and go. Amsteel users must have a way to hang the hammock with adjustment ranges down to a few inches. Accordingly we have a higher tech support burden with the Amsteel option, and even some failures from users incorrectly attaching their own suspension around both poles, so the weight pinches the poles together, causing them to bend and potentially buckle.

For all these reasons we will soon make webbing the only choice. Those who know they want Amsteel lines will be able to order those additionally. Offering them as an alternative to webbing at time of purchase, we think many users mistakenly choose Amsteel on the assumption that it is better because it is more expensive. Many of these users order webbing separately later, while very few customers order Amsteel line sets after first getting webbing.

Amsteel is easier to loop around door hinge pins for indoor setups than webbing. If you can open the door however, you can just pinch the sewn stopper end of the webbing between door and frame to secure.
    Thanks!!!

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    wait. do people use a head end anchor?

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    if you are wide, you should go with a long hammock to give you the room you need. i am short and wide and like and extra long.

sure, it weighs a little more, but so do i.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flask_ehrlenmeyer View Post
    wait. do people use a head end anchor?
    It is not needed, but sure adds convenience and peace of mind. I often just use a counter weight. But, I have used a ground anchor, attached loosely, with a bit of slack in the line. It will not normally serve any function, but is there to save you from a screw up, usually when getting in or out, and shifting your weight too far towards the foot end. Which, if you are not real quick to correct that error, will result in a "mouse trap" or stand collapse. Which won't hurt you, but might result in a dirty hammock or quilts.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I have never used the head end anchor. I occasionally hang a gear bag on the head end, but that is more for convenience. I have only taco'd twice, and both involved me testing setup changes in the garage. It hasn't happened in the wild so far ... *knock wood*

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I use a head end anchor once in a while, mostly if I'm not already dog tired and just want to get to sleep. I have only taco-ed once in my backyard when I first got the stand and was learning how to use it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast