HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Winter Dream v.2
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Images
    I set up my Tensa for the first time yesterday... only clamshell twice!

I have a Hennesey Expedition that I replaced the stock suspension with continuous loops on the end that use whoopie sling suspension. But I kept finding that the slings didn't seem to work well as the pole tips aligned right in the middle of the constrictors. I rigged up my tree straps to make it work but am looking for something more elegant. Shug's video shows him using a continuous loop as an alternative. So I am considering ordering a set from Dutchware with Whoopie Hooks to use as dedicated suspension for the strand. Anyone take this approach? If so, would 15" be sufficient? I can play with set ups but hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Willie

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That's (one) of the great things about the Tensa4 and motorcycle travel; it is basically self-supporting, even when the ground won't support a traditional anchor. My bike is pushing 850 lbs with fuel and all my crap. Using it as a foot-end anchor for my Tensa4 works fantastic. Doesn't even wiggle.
    Do you just larks head the foot end strap to the rear wheel?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That's (one) of the great things about the Tensa4 and motorcycle travel; it is basically self-supporting, even when the ground won't support a traditional anchor. My bike is pushing 850 lbs with fuel and all my crap. Using it as a foot-end anchor for my Tensa4 works fantastic. Doesn't even wiggle.
    And also: I can use all sorts of things that never really worked all that well- if at all- for a tree based hammock hang. Like trees that are definitely too small to hang a hammock from. And shrubs and roots, etc.

What is the minimum force that to the foot end anchor supposed to be able to handle, like 1/2 of body weight? If even that. I have found that 80 lbs of weight- right under the foot end apex- pretty well holds my 205 lb. Where as don't don't normal tree hangs- particularly if tighter than 30º angles on the suspension- actually multiply body weight by some amount? I can't remember how that goes exactly, but I think it does.

And another advantage not to be forgotten- really only a foot end tether is required. Particularly as one becomes experienced and learns the positioning head to foot wise to be avoided. IOW- avoid having most body weight being too close to the foot side of center, even by an inch. Keep most weight at least a smidgen north of center, on the head end side. Once that principle is learned, no head end tethers will ever be needed, except maybe for peace of mind.

It finally occurred to me that if I was extremely skilled at centering my weight- which I am not at all- I would need no tethers at all. I would simply be balanced in the middle. That is not a practical goal obviously. Still, it shows that with the exact right weight distribution, not much force will be applied to the foot end anchor, whatever the anchor might be. Particularly when compared to a normal tree hang. And of course, none at all to the head end, so that I have often just used a counter weight. Usually I am also using what amounts to a back up head end tether which hangs sort of loose most of the time. It is really only there to increase my confidence in case I get careless.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Forgive me for the silly question, but would the tensa4 work for kayaking or would the solo be a better option? Also, I am larger at 6' and 230 lbs.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I use soft shackles to attach my hammock continuous loops to the pole connectors. It seems to work fine. I prefer the soft shackles over the carabiners because they are less bulky.

I have a HH Explorer Deluxe Classic XL (bottom entry) and found that I have to tether the foot end because the CG is on the wrong side of the balance point when entering or exiting the hammock. This is not an issue with a zipper HH hammock or a netless hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SnyperX, The short answer is it depends on the quality of ground to hold a solid anchor. The Solo requires a substantial hold. The Tensa4 - not so much.

I posted a photo of a Solo I used yesterday on a day kayak run. Well, sort of a photo because the Solo Pole was in the background. There are a few things to consider. As you are in the 6' world, it might be that you'd have a larger than 11 ft hammock. If so, you will probably be lower to the ground than those using a shorter hammock. But, off the ground is off the ground. Perhaps someone using a 12 ft hammock can weigh in.

What is the ground like where you paddle? You'll need solid anchors for the solo pole. There's a variety of different anchors. In addition to natural devices (rocks, tree branches, etc.), you have screw stakes of various lengths and "nail" stakes (a.k.a. Boom Stakes). I used the shorter Boom Stake option with the Solo yesterday.

If your landings are mostly rocky shelves or very loose shell beaches, The Tensa4 seems the better choice because the anchor requirements are not so rigorous. But that solo pole is just so darn convenient. Even if I know there will be trees, the freedom not to need two trees, the right distance, with nothing between them off to the side (that would interfere with the tarp) is so refreshing. I'd just need one tree and can always have the second "tree" (solo pole) at just the perfect distance.

The best of both worlds is to get the Tensa4 and a Solo conversion kit. That way, if you know the anchor situation where you will land, you can take the whole kit and kaboodle or just the kit. With just the Solo, you don't feel like you are climbing out of an erector set.

For Youth of Today, an erector set was an entertainment kit that didn't have a screen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_Set
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    SnyperX, The short answer is it depends on the quality of ground to hold a solid anchor. The Solo requires a substantial hold. The Tensa4 - not so much.

In the Other Vendors sub-forum, I posted a photo of a Solo I used yesterday on a day kayak run. Well, sort of a photo because the Solo Pole was in the background. There are a few things to consider. As you are in the 6' world, it might be that you'd have a larger than 11 ft hammock. If so, you will probably be lower to the ground than those using a shorter hammock. But, off the ground is off the ground. Perhaps someone using a 12 ft hammock can weigh in.

What is the ground like where you paddle? You'll need solid anchors for the solo pole. There's a variety of different anchors. In addition to natural devices (rocks, tree branches, etc.), you have screw stakes of various lengths and "nail" stakes (a.k.a. Boom Stakes). I used the shorter Boom Stake option with the Solo yesterday.

If your landings are mostly rocky shelves or very loose shell beaches, The Tensa4 seems the better choice because the anchor requirements are not so rigorous. But that solo pole is just so darn convenient. Even if I know there will be trees, the freedom not to need two trees, the right distance, with nothing between them off to the side (that would interfere with the tarp) is so refreshing. I'd just need one tree and can always have the second "tree" (solo pole) at just the perfect distance.

The best of both worlds is to get the Tensa4 and a Solo conversion kit. That way, if you know the anchor situation where you will land, you can take the whole kit and kaboodle or just the kit. With just the Solo, you don't feel like you are climbing out of an erector set.

For Youth of Today, an erector set was an entertainment kit that didn't have a screen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_Set
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Do you just larks head the foot end strap to the rear wheel?
    Sorry for the late reply. I just returned from a 5 day motorcycle trip through Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho (and home state of Utah ).

I have the Amsteel anchor lines vs. the straps, but I think the principle is the same. If anchoring to my bike, the Amsteel guyline has a loop at the end that you can open/close, and I typically attach that loop to the engine guard on side of my bike, but have also used the license plate mount on the back, the handlebars, and even the closure strap on one of my saddlebags. I'm sure Latherdome or Cheryl could tell us how much weight the foot end anchor 'bears', but I'm thinking it's probably not much.

If you are using the strap guyline to anchor, I think you could just larks head it to your anchor point like you said.

This picture is from my recent trip. I didn't anchor to my bike in this case, just used the orange screw. This was at a KOA in Montana, Yellowstone Park / West Gate KOA Holiday in West Yellowstone, MT, just after a monster rainstorm had come through. Everything stayed nice and dry. It rained off and on throughout the night, and I slept great.

pic1.jpg

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    What is the minimum force that to the foot end anchor supposed to be able to handle, like 1/2 of body weight? If even that. I have found that 80 lbs of weight- right under the foot end apex- pretty well holds my 205 lb.
    1/4 to 1/3 of the hammock load should be enough. The more head down tilt the greater the anchor load.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I got mine set up this morning with my Dutchware Chameleon. I will definitely have to do some tweaking but so far I like it. Next will be trying out the tarp extensions. If that goes well, looks like I'll have to get a second set up for my son. Do you see anything wrong in the pictures?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast