Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a word on bike weight. Remember Judo - depending upon where the force is placed, something must lighter can tip over something heavier. Once, as I left for work, I saw my neighbor on the ground with his motorcycle on his ankle. I’m guessing it took less than 400 lbs to tip it over. I helped him up and offered to take him to a medical center to look at his ankle. But he said he was fine and hopped on one foot back inside. None of the first aid classes I’ve ever taken cover the psychology that the person in need you come across may not want any assistance, even if it is clearly warranted.

The freedom of traveling by bike - and setting up a hammock about anywhere with a Tensa4 - sounds wonderful. But riding a bike in winter - not so much.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Here are some pictures of using my motorcycle as a foot end anchor for my Tensa4. I tie off the tether to the rear bag guards on the opposite side of the kickstand. Works a peach. I have some picks of my 'one tree hang' using the bike over in the One Tree Hang thread for those who are interested.

PXL_20211105_183231836.jpg

PXL_20211105_183350903.jpg

PXL_20211105_183406945.jpg

EDIT: link to the post over in the One Tree Hangs thread.
    Last edited by Crazytown3; 11-06-2021 at 12:34.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Here are some pictures of using my motorcycle as a foot end anchor for my Tensa4. I tie off the tether to the rear bag guards on the opposite side of the kickstand. Works a peach. I have some picks of my 'one tree hang' using the bike over in the One Tree Hang thread for those who are interested.

Looks like that works perfectly! I’ll have to head over to the “One Tree Hang” thread to see the rest…
    (Thanks for putting up the pics Crazytown3!)

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post

OK,
    Now I get it. Pulling more weight ON instead of OFF the stand. I see that works on a Bagger but prolly not so much for an ADV bike, too tall and light. Thanks for the One Tree link. I missed that one.
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfPackOne View Post
    OK,
    Now I get it. Pulling more weight ON instead of OFF the stand. I see that works on a Bagger but prolly not so much for an ADV bike, too tall and light. Thanks for the One Tree link. I missed that one.
    What bike are you riding? I could see a small dirt bike/dual sport maybe being an issue, but the Tensa4 doesn't need much weight to anchor it. I have a Tracer 900 and a Ninja 650R modified into a dual sport, which are 480ish and 430ish respectively. Both are tall bikes. I have anchored the stand to the front wheel on both bikes on their side stands without issue. I velcro strap around the front brake adds a little extra security, but it is not necessary. I weigh 220 lbs, and when I get into the stand, there is no indication that the wheel wants to lift or pull the bike anywhere.

Edit: I see, you were probably referring to the pics on the One Tree Hang thread. I think that could still work on a taller bike. Run the line over the top of the bars and anchor to the ground so the weight is compressing the suspension, not pulling the bike over. An extra anchor or two from the bike to the ground could help too.
    Last edited by draco_1967; 11-08-2021 at 10:42.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    The center of gravity on my bike is fairly low, which helps with the anchoring/tethering issues. The true ADV bikes seem to have a higher center of gravity, which make them more agile. Anchoring/tethering would take a little more finesse I think.

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    What bike are you riding? I could see a small dirt bike/dual sport maybe being an issue, but the Tensa4 doesn't need much weight to anchor it. I have a Tracer 900 and a Ninja 650R modified into a dual sport, which are 480ish and 430ish respectively. Both are tall bikes. I have anchored the stand to the front wheel on both bikes on their side stands without issue. I velcro strap around the front brake adds a little extra security, but it is not necessary. I weigh 220 lbs, and when I get into the stand, there is no indication that the wheel wants to lift or pull the bike anywhere.

Edit: I see, you were probably referring to the pics on the One Tree Hang thread. I think that could still work on a taller bike. Run the line over the top of the bars and anchor to the ground so the weight is compressing the suspension, not pulling the bike over. An extra anchor or two from the bike to the ground could help too.

I have an HD which I'm OK with, the other is a V-Strom DL650. I'm sure it'll be OK and will give it a test at home this weekend. I'm just still in the "not 100% confident" stage but you guys are getting me there and I really appreciate all of the feedback.
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfPackOne View Post
    I have an HD which I'm OK with, the other is a V-Strom DL650. I'm sure it'll be OK and will give it a test at home this weekend. I'm just still in the "not 100% confident" stage but you guys are getting me there and I really appreciate all of the feedback.
    When you do your test, it works better when the stand is closer to the bike, rather than farther away. If the foot side anchor is more vertical than horizontal, I think that helps.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Adapter to Convert a Tensa4 into a Tensa Solo

Ever since getting my Tensa4 and being amazed at how simple it is to set up and how stable it is, I’ve been toying with trying the Tensa Solo adapter so I could take just half a pole instead of all 8 halves. I’m not a hard-core hiker, but I also do not want to be in sight or hearing of anyone else when I camp and the best way to accomplish that is to hike in beyond where the crowds cavort…so 1/8th as much to carry was really tempting.

My last trip (RAINY trip!) where I combined trees with my Tensa4 to put together an awesomely expansive, wonderfully dry, porch area by marrying a Tensa strung tarp with a trees strung tarp just cemented in my mind the NEED(!) for a Tensa Solo so I could continue expanding my camp configuration options even when I’m hiking.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the $25 adapter that would allow me to hang from just 1/2 a Tensa pole. It arrived a couple of days ago but work and family obligations kept preventing me from trying it out. Finally, last night after work I headed straight for the park. I raced against encroaching twilight and a bitter 17 mph wind, temps in the 30’s, as I attempted my first ever set-up with the Tensa Solo. Though my fingers were frozen and I was coatless (hadn’t needed it at work and didn’t realize how much the temp would drop through the day), the hammock went up smoothly! First time ever setting it up, and fighting the wind whipping at my hammock, manipulating the pieces with frozen fingers, and still the process wasn’t hard to manage alone the very first time around! In the photos here, I have the hammock weighted with the bag containing the unused pieces of my Tensa4. After the photos, I got in the hammock myself long enough to be pleased with how solid it felt. I’m thinking maybe my pole angle was not ideal, but, in my defense, it was my first attempt and I was under duress, coatless, gloveless, with the fleeing light, freezing cold, and wicked wind gusts!

I can’t wait now to get out and run my new gear through its paces in the wild!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-13-2021 at 09:49.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I used a solo last summer along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal towpath (lots of trees, but very few spaced well). It was great, and light enough to carry on my bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast