Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Consider shortening or even getting rid of(temporarily) any hammock suspension, and just using any closed loops on the hammock(if you have them) to connect directly to one of the stand poles, on each end. This will give you a hammock that is higher off the ground, while allowing relatively wider base. Which will be because the main stand poles are higher, which will then allow you to use a tarp extender that is not so high and so near the end of the stand's poles, if desired.

If doing the above results in a hammock that is TOO high above the ground, even with the stand at max width, then just add some hammock suspension back into the mix.
    BillyBob,
    Thanks for the feedback, that's what I really like about this forum. But I don't think I'm tracking with you here. If I understand your method, won't that make the Tensa ends closer and thus creating even more slack in the tarp. To try and make sure I was clear, what I am/was running into was not enough distance between the tarp extension thus too much slack in the tarp. However, after playing around some more I think I'm in a good place. It feels pretty sturdy.

IMG_1622.jpg
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WolfPackOne View Post
    Thanks Crazytown,

OK, I feel like I have it as good as it gets.
    Let know know any feedback or ideas. I feel like I have them as High (to make the tips farther apart) as I can get them while remaining sturdy. I also think it is taking away from the suggested "slack" on the head side guide line.

Attachment 186829Attachment 186830Attachment 186831

On another note, I was having an issue with one push button not holding. Before I connected with the post above Tensa replied immediately to my email. Was that you Leatherdome? Sorry I did not digest the earlier post regarding this.

Big shoutout to the customer service thus far. Heading out for my Fla trip and will report back on my experience.

WP1

Hey, WolfPackOne, I am by NO MEANS a tarp extender expert... in fact, just this weekend I went Tensa camping with my buddy and it was her very first time camping in her Tensa, but, to my utter chagrin, I struggled with my tarp extenders--having used them once before successfully, but for some reason this weekend my brain fogged over and for the life of me I couldn't get them to work! Probably because I was demonstrating to my friend! Anyway, I just gave up and said, "It's not going to rain, anyway. Who needs a tarp?" I thought that was the end of it. Wrong. Five minutes later I looked over to where my friend was setting up her gear and there she had HER tarp up! She sauntered over and offered to assist me with mine! Turns out I just needed to tighten up the "saddle" where the extender pole's peg is seated. Looking at your photos, in that third photo, you've got the same thing going on that I originally had, before my first-time-user friend tutored me! ...I think if you tightened up those two bottom straps so that the hole where the peg seats is pulled in taut between the two Tensa legs, then that would push the upper end of your extender pole further OUTWARD, continuing the same line as your Tensa legs rather than going straight up at an angle from the legs. That would lengthen the distance for your tarp ends but still increase your head room. Also, using a loop of heavy duty elastic cord to connect one end of your tarp to it's extender pole allows the tarp ridgeline to have a little give, yet still hang taut.

That being all said, I still could be dead wrong! I mean, my own tarp wouldn't have been over me this weekend if a first time Tensa user hadn't been there to assist me! :P

Maybe some pictures will help... This is how my tarp extender looked in relation to my Tensa legs after my friend helpfully suggested I should tighten the saddle...

(11' Trail Lair hammock paired with an 11' Warbonnet Edge Tarp using Tensa tarp extender poles.)

Before my friend rescued me, my tarp extenders were going up almost perpendicular from the ground rather than extending the same line made by the Tensa legs. I'm sorry, I don't have a picture showing that, but I drew in red lines what my extenders had been doing prior to the saddle being tightened...

WolfPackOne, I notice in this photo your tarp extender is not following the same line as your Tensa legs...

If you tightened the two straps that connect to each Tensa leg so that the straps are in a straight line, rather than in a "V", it would pull the bottom end of your tarp extender pole into the same angle your Tensa legs are taking...and that would put each end further out, giving more space to spread your tarp tauter.

Hope that helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-18-2021 at 17:41.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    BillyBob,
    Thanks for the feedback, that's what I really like about this forum. But I don't think I'm tracking with you here. If I understand your method, won't that make the Tensa ends closer and thus creating even more slack in the tarp. To try and make sure I was clear, what I am/was running into was not enough distance between the tarp extension thus too much slack in the tarp. However, after playing around some more I think I'm in a good place. It feels pretty sturdy.

IMG_1622.jpg

Oops! Replied to your earlier post before I saw your latest post WolfPackOne. Looks like you have it well in hand now! That Superfly looks good there!

Images
    BillyBob,

IMG_1622.jpg

Yes, you are right. I missed that your main concern was tarp length, I was thinking mainly about " I feel like I have them as High (to make the tips farther apart)".

It looked to me like your hammock- but maybe that is a sock or UQP?- was kind of close to the ground. Which, if so, would require the tarp extenders to be extra high on the stand's poles in order to have decent head room. So, I was thinking in terms of raising the hammock further above the ground by raising the height of the stand by having the pole ends closer, so your tarp extenders would not have to be so high on the stand's poles. But, never mind, I see you actually had a different main concern!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Any Ideas For a Wind Break Under the Tensa When Camping With a Large Dog?

Does anyone else Tensa hang with their dog? My dog has always slept beneath my hammock and that is where I like him to be. However he needs his own wind break since my tarp doesn't reach the ground. (Even my superfly is inadequate to the task.)

My gear for 4 season hanging with my dog was well honed when I was hanging between trees. I had a DIY pup tent (three sided, floored, wind break) that hung under my tarp off it's own ridgeline strung between the same two trees I was using for my hammock (or occasionally off the foot end of the hammock, itself). So far, I've only had my Tensa since this summer, so it hasn't yet been an issue not hanging a windbreak for the dog...but, now as we are getting further into Fall I'm needing to figure out a way to shelter him from the wind as he sleeps beneath my hammock. I'm hesitant to hang his tent off the end of my tensa, because he is a 117 lb bulldozer and I worry he might lay against the tent wall, putting undue pressure on the apex of my tensa. Of course, I can't run him an independent ridgeline between two trees to hang his pup tent off if I don't already have my Tensa situated between two trees. I'm looking for a solution that won't require any trees, will be inexpensive to DIY, and won't involve me sharing my bug net with him (as in the pet palace option--he can find ticks even in the dead of winter here in the Ozarks and though they don't usually bite down on him, thanks to tick treatment, they do crawl through his fur and I don't want them crawling off him onto my bedding!).

Any suggestions? (Also, I'd prefer his shelter to be one that I can situate beneath the foot or head end of the Tensa rather than the middle, since I'm worried he might lean up against the Tensa legs if his bed was there. It needs to be at least 18 inches high, meeting flush with the ground. One sided would be okay but a corner shelter of two sides is even better.) Our next camping trip is a week and a half away and we are heading further north, so it is likely to be colder at night.

I have one possible idea I'm currently mulling in my mind...but too often what seems a terrific solution in my mind, flops miserably in actual practice!

Worst case scenario, I guess I could always bring his crate...but that takes up so much more room in the vehicle than just him alone... Plus I know he'd have to be desperate to shelter in his crate...he will just thumb his nose at it to sleep out in the open in the bitter wind. He always positions himself for the best vantage point of the entire campsite when he beds down. He will use his triangular pup tent when it is bitterly windy and cold, with it's third side totally open still giving him a good view...but he's not likely to hunker down in his crate. And I certainly would never shut him up in his crate, because that defeats the whole purpose of bringing him along. I want him to be free to take care of any security threats...and that is ground so deep in his DNA that he would be miserable if I hampered his ability to serve as camp security.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-19-2021 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Does anyone else Tensa hang with their dog? My dog has always slept beneath my hammock and that is where I like him to be. However he needs his own wind break since my tarp doesn't reach the ground. (Even my superfly is inadequate to the task.)

My gear for 4 season hanging with my dog was well honed when I was hanging between trees. I had a DIY pup tent (three sided, floored, wind break) that hung under my tarp off it's own ridgeline strung between the same two trees I was using for my hammock (or occasionally off the foot end of the hammock, itself). So far, I've only had my Tensa since this summer, so it hasn't yet been an issue not hanging a windbreak for the dog...but, now as we are getting further into Fall I'm needing to figure out a way to shelter him from the wind as he sleeps beneath my hammock. I'm hesitant to hang his tent off the end of my tensa, because he is a 117 lb bulldozer and I worry he might lay against the tent wall, putting undue pressure on the apex of my tensa. Of course, I can't run him an independent ridgeline between two trees to hang his pup tent off if I don't already have my Tensa situated between two trees. I'm looking for a solution that won't require any trees, will be inexpensive to DIY, and won't involve me sharing my bug net with him (as in the pet palace option--he can find ticks even in the dead of winter here in the Ozarks and though they don't usually bite down on him, thanks to tick treatment, they do crawl through his fur and I don't want them crawling off him onto my bedding!).

Any suggestions? (Also, I'd prefer his shelter to be one that I can situate beneath the foot or head end of the Tensa rather than the middle, since I'm worried he might lean up against the Tensa legs if his bed was there.) Our next camping trip is a week and a half away and we are heading further north, so it is likely to be colder at night.
    Can your pup tent be suspended from a single point? Could you suspend it from the head end of the Tensa?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Can your pup tent be suspended from a single point? Could you suspend it from the head end of the Tensa?
    Yes, TominMN, my DIY pup tent was originally designed specifically to do just that. Only later did I begin stringing up a dedicated ridgeline to suspend it from. The problem is that Rem is an ox. When he does decide it's finally bad enough out to take shelter in his tent, he plops against the back of it as he lies down. I have it bungeed at the top, but I am still worried that if I hang his tent off the end of my Tensa and then he bulldozes his 117 pounds abruptly against it, that that might bend my Tensa frame....? I'm assuming the pull on the legs travels diagonally from the uppermost tips to the ground in the middle when the hammock is loaded...whereas if his pup tent, hanging off the END of the Tensa were suddenly loaded, the force would travel straight down perpendicularly from the uppermost tip rather than diagonally along leg to the ground in the middle. Does that make sense? I'm just worried that that might damage my Tensa.

My knowledge of physics is dismal... maybe I'm needlessly worrying? Would a sudden heavy weight applied only to one tip of the Tensa be a problem? I know the end is anchored...but, I'm still thinking a dog crashing down on a tent hanging from a single end might be a stressor on the frame...? I'm thinking that force would be different than the force exerted by the anchor which holds it from an angle. Ok...now I am really confusing myself. Maybe it'd be just fine?
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-19-2021 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    My knowledge of physics is dismal... maybe I'm needlessly worrying? Would a sudden heavy weight applied only to one tip of the Tensa be a problem? I know the end is anchored...but, I'm still thinking a dog crashing down on a tent hanging from a single end might be a stressor on the frame...? I'm thinking that force would be different than the force exerted by the anchor which holds it from an angle. Ok...now I am really confusing myself. Maybe it'd be just fine?
    I'm no physicist either! My gut feeling is that the Tensa ridgeline would act to put most of the (any?) force toward compression on the tubes. I'm thinking: no big deal. That, combined with the bungee suspension of the tent, would seem to minimize any problem. I'd want that bungee to be as weak/light as possible and still hold up the tent, enough that it could stretch to the ground, if possible. Also, if the connection at one end of the bungee is intentionally weak, it could serve as a "fuse" should your buddy get overly frisky.

Just my 2 cents worth and undoubtedly worth every penny!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    BillyBob,

IMG_1622.jpg
    Looks like you were able to get that tarp tightened up a good bit. That post from Dublinlin annotated with the arrows and such is a really good visual of how to get those tarp extenders adjusted to take out that slack. I usually get my tarp attached so it's kind of loose initially, then adjust those bottom straps on the tarp extenders to take out the slack in the tarp.

I think after a few setups/take downs you will probably get it dialed in. It took me a few times setting up in my backyard before I was comfortable taking it on the road.

Images
    Do you have to hang the dogs shelter? Are you talking about the dogs weight being suspended, as in his own hammock, or do you just mean a wall of fabric from the ground being suspended- just to hold it up- from the apex? How do you insulate that for him, with a CCF pad?

I'm sure you are not talking about suspending the dogs weight from the head end apex, as that would not be good. I mean, I usually counterweight the head end, but only with a few lbs, which still allows some movement ad a mouse trap collapase if I get careless enough. So you must mean you are suspending some fabric from the stand which contacts the ground. So, what about some extra tarp material added- maybe just on one end, and coming all the way down to the ground, on one or both sides? As a wind break? With a CCF pad on the ground as insulation? Or a really small one man tent pitched under the head end, but far enough away from the stand that he can't slam into it when laying down?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast