Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Images
    Latherdome, re: the coke can as a weight for tethering: it did not take super long to realize, once I started using this stand, that it was essentially a matter of balancing. And that if I could some how balance perfectly, I would not need any tether at all on either end. Of course, I can not come close to doing that. But I think it does go to show that, if I shift my weight just a little from dead center to slightly towards the head end, it is not really applying all that much force to the foot end tether. And if I shift my weight even a bit more towards the head end, it is still not near as much force on the foot end tether as I would have thought. (if I just let it mouse trap me, obviously the force on the foot end tether is zero)

Hence my surprise(before I realized the above about "balancing") at the results when I thought to use the dumbbell weights. I have only been able to come up with 80 lbs max weights. I was somewhere between 201 and 206 lbs when I tried that. I had already been connecting to a length of 2x4, or a shoe, on 1 side of a closet door. It seemed to be no problem. But, due to my paranoia about damaging that door/wall, and what an enormous pain in the behind that would be explaining to my wife why I had to try that in the first place, my thought was to add these weights to simply reduce the force I would be applying to that door.

But, after trying it, it seemed more to me that I had actually applied zero force to the door, it was all handled by the weights. As best I could tell, the weights MAYBE lifted off the floor(thought I heard some slight noise like a weight being lifted and very quickly dropped back down) for a distance of 1/4" or so for a split second, maybe. Maybe when I was first getting in and shifting my weight towards the head end. But, I would move around in the hammock while trying to watch the weights, and they seemed to be, the vast majority of the time, staying put on the floor, right under the apex, not lifting off the floor. So, it seems to me, if I was still paranoid about the door, I could greatly reduce any force on the door by using even less barbell weight. A lot less should still help a lot.

Re: the "buttons". I had wondered about removing one of those spacers. But, I had no issues camping for those 4 nights, or any other trial so far. If you have not been hearing about any problems caused by the added spacers reducing the button height, problems with the buttons not holding, then I will just leave well enough alone and keep using it as supplied from you.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-12-2021 at 12:04.

My tensa stand has covered about 100k miles on my motorcycle, love it! I have had it since they first came out.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterk View Post
    My tensa stand has covered about 100k miles on my motorcycle, love it! I have had it since they first came out.

Does it pack down/collapse enough for adequate transport on the bike? I loathe sleeping on the ground anymore and have been (forgive me) thinking about buying a bivy for the ground when on the bike. This gives me and my shoulders and back, some hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Yes, the Tensa4 packs down great for packing on the bike. I just bungie the storage bag to my passenger seat. There are others that can fit it into their saddle bag/panniers.

I bought it specifically for motorcycle trips, and I take it on EVERY trip, even if I think I might have a place to hang. I've used it many, many other places too, like backyard hangs, car trips, desert trips, etc.

EDIT: ......AirBNB trips, cheap motels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    Does it pack down/collapse enough for adequate transport on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tensa Outdoor: packs to 20″ long and about 6″ around...

I can confirm. Photos show Tensa4 + 4 stakes + 2 tarp extenders + 2 Solo feet + interior tarp poles + 16 tarp stakes + all stand cordage loaded on my Suzuki DL650 back seat in front of the top case.

The stand won't fit in the 19L top and side cases in the photos but will fit in my only slightly larger 24L top case.

I also often bypass acceptable trees in favor of my Tensa4, especially because I can put it exactly where I want it and easily move it if I change my mind.

Easy, repeatable setup once dialed in.

Getting out of a tent into a hammock totally rejuvenated my enthusiasm for moto camping and cross country travel. Also good for RVing or truck camping.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Yeh, so to preface this set-up experience, I’ve never been know for my intellect. That being said, waiting by the mailbox Monday for my new Tensa4 was not a bright idea (Columbus Day, no mail).

Attached are some preliminary pics, I will be riding through Fla for a few weeks and will post up my Tensa4 experience then.

For now my maiden set-up proved somewhat easy but not without a head scratcher. Could not seem to get the darn thing “balanced” or even with the guide line tie outs. After multiple shifts, shuffles, stares and struggles, I realized that one pole pin was not engaged and thus one of four poles was shorter. Doh!

Next head scratcher was getting my tarp set-up using the extender poles. Could it be that I have a 13 footer? Was too much sag in the center. So, I moved to use some REI poles and additional stake/guidelines. Seems to work pretty well.

I guess I'll be visiting the for sale section soon. Anyone interested in some "never used" Tensa Tarp Poles?

Like rodentface (now there’s a visual) I feel very confident in carrying the set-up to include my extra tarp poles, lines, stakes, etc. on the rear seat of my V-Strom. Another option pictured below is to split the set up into two bags for split distribution on my panniers. Both of these will also fit into the original Tensa bag (albeit tight) and can place over the passenger seat.

So, coming in at 14 lbs. + the additional REI poles, stakes, etc. plus my 10 lbs. of hammock gear, for my bike it’s just a tad over the 25lbs my pannier and mounting rack recommends.

Will follow-up with more impressions after my trip.

GOPR8423.jpgGOPR8424.jpg
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    WolfPack, if you can, post some pictures of your setup with the tarp extenders, etc. There are plenty of us that have been through that initial adjustment stage, and might be able to offer some suggestions to get it working for you.

Hammock
    Cheap and Too Small
    Tarp
    Leaky and Useless
    Insulation
    Fruit of the Loom
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    WolfPack, if you can, post some pictures of your setup with the tarp extenders, etc. There are plenty of us that have been through that initial adjustment stage, and might be able to offer some suggestions to get it working for you.
    Thanks Crazytown,

OK, I feel like I have it as good as it gets.
    Let know know any feedback or ideas. I feel like I have them as High (to make the tips farther apart) as I can get them while remaining sturdy. I also think it is taking away from the suggested "slack" on the head side guide line.

IMG_1621 (1).jpgIMG_1619 (1).jpgIMG_1620 (1).jpg

On another note, I was having an issue with one push button not holding. Before I connected with the post above Tensa replied immediately to my email. Was that you Leatherdome? Sorry I did not digest the earlier post regarding this.

Big shoutout to the customer service thus far. Heading out for my Fla trip and will report back on my experience.

WP1
    YouTube Channel: WolfPackOne

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I love my Tensa4 for bike trips! I bring it on every trip now. I also bought parts for two Solo conversions, for when I want less weight (more dirt road riding). I strap it on the passenger seat. I can fit two Solo poles with stakes/lines in my Givi pannier, but it is just easier to have it on the seat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfPackOne View Post
    Thanks Crazytown,

OK, I feel like I have it as good as it gets.
    Let know know any feedback or ideas. I feel like I have them as High (to make the tips farther apart) as I can get them while remaining sturdy. I also think it is taking away from the suggested "slack" on the head side guide line.

IMG_1621 (1).jpgIMG_1619 (1).jpgIMG_1620 (1).jpg

On another note, I was having an issue with one push button not holding. Before I connected with the post above Tensa replied immediately to my email. Was that you Leatherdome? Sorry I did not digest the earlier post regarding this.

Big shoutout to the customer service thus far. Heading out for my Fla trip and will report back on my experience.

WP1
    Consider shortening or even getting rid of(temporarily) any hammock suspension, and just using any closed loops on the hammock(if you have them) to connect directly to one of the stand poles, on each end. This will give you a hammock that is higher off the ground, while allowing relatively wider base. Which will be because the main stand poles are higher, which will then allow you to use a tarp extender that is not so high and so near the end of the stand's poles, if desired.

If doing the above results in a hammock that is TOO high above the ground, even with the stand at max width, then just add some hammock suspension back into the mix.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast