Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

For who of you vendors out there are brave enough....

Since ED Speer and TTTG seem to no longer make the famous Pea Pod, and if its not proprietary, I wonder if another one of you vendors would be interested in picking up the reins and get this beauty back on the market???

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Since ED Speer and TTTG seem to no longer make the famous Pea Pod, and if its not proprietary, I wonder if another one of you vendors would be interested in picking up the reins and get this beauty back on the market???
    I have wished for that for years. I had asked 1 vendor if they might consider doing so, but I think the answer was that they were friends with TTTG guy so no. But, TTTG guy has long ago walked away from making any hammock related products, so unless there was a patent, why not?

But, even though I was convinced- based on my experience- that this was the most foolproof way to be warm in a GE hammock, and I was NEVER cold using one- it appears I was one of only a few that had enough interest to buy one. I think most people thought they were too expensive, heavy and bulky. Usually forgetting that it was basically the same as buying one full length UQ + one full length TQ, so, really, not too bulky, heavy or expensive for all of the folks who do that anyway.

True, it was longer than full length quilts, but it was also tapered on the ends- naturally, in the shape of a GE hammock- and so the commercial Pea Pod actually weighed a little bit less than the equivalent pair of quilts. But unlike any quilts I had ever used, it was draft proof.

Another thing folks worried about was not being able to go diagonal. But with the pod being bigger than my GE hammocks, and completely wrapping around my hammocks, I had no issues with a diagonal lay. It was the same, at least for the hammocks I used the pod with.

But, I'm not even sure if I would crank out the money for one now if one became available, as much as I loved that product. First of all, for years I have been for the most part into either JRB or WB bridge hammocks, and they now have some stiff competition from my HT90º hammock, mostly used with a pad, and/or an IQ(INNER quilt in the huge, loose pad pocket). But when I do go for the simplicity of the old fashioned GE hammocks these days, it is a Superiorgear insulated hammock. So no need for a Pea Pod with that one. And, at least as far as the UQ part goes, it appears to be as draft and gap proof as the Pea Pod was.

Although, my SG is only a 30º hammock. Maybe for deep winter(if I go some place to zero F or below), how about a 40 or 50F Pea Pod big enough to wrap around the SG hammock, and cinching down Pea Pod style on the ends, giving me pod style draft proofing on TOP as well? Then adding a TQ warm enough to get the 50F Pea Pod down to zero or below? Hmmmm. Maybe. But, I have not yet played with the SG TQ options, including their ability to snap on to the UQ part to boost bottom warmth in that way. So their options may already be as draft proof as I need.

But, I have missed the Pea Pod ever since I stupidly sold mine years ago. The plan was to buy a new one(or maybe a Polar Pod) with treated down from TTTG, but I waited to long and they went out of business before I could pull the trigger. But at least I did not miss the pod as long as I was using bridge or 90º hammocks. Although, I ALWAYS miss that sense of being closed in with draft proofing equal to being zipped up a sleeping bag, with out worrying about lifting up an edge with a TQ every time I move. Or if I shift to a position that opens up a draft somewhere. None of that business with my old Speer Pea Pod. True, I have managed to work around all of that over the years, but I never had to even think about it with the pod.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    True dat on all you say Billy bob. Most folk dont realize what a great piece of gear the PP was. As you know, Im now fiddling with a RR and Im curious about the new SG. So, you like the SG pretty much?

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Billy on— Have you looked at the Superior Cocoon? Not sure how recent your Superior Hammock is but if you have the zipper system, the cocoon is part way there. (Only zips half way up the hammock, seems like, so it’s not really sealing you all the way in. And only comes in a 45 degree option. But, I wonder if he couldn’t make it zip a bit further.)

https://superiorgear.com/product/superior-cocoon

I’m not well versed on what the requirements for a peapod are, but I recently had UGQ make me an XL sleeping bag— basically a quilt that zips from head to foot instead of just the foot box. Draw strings at both ends, of course. (Funny enough, during the period I was going back and forth with them on specs, they actually released it as an official product, their “Outlaw Hybrid” quilt.) They will work with you to make it as wide and long as you need (wider than the 65” max on their regular product page)— perhaps they could also do some tapering of the shell on both ends if that’s needed to make it a little more efficient as a pod setup. Or perhaps one could even just zip 2 of their standard options together, not sure. Either of these would just be a rough approximation I would guess— not a fully engineered peapod— but better than nothing!

• + New Posts