Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt for 70" Darien

Hi, this is my first post, and sorry, it's another post about an underquilt decision.

Been lurking here and reading a bunch. I've been using a Hennessy off and on for many years. Never really found it comfortable, and I've never spent a night in it when I've been warm and cozy. Made a commitment with the family to go camping more (bikepacking actually), and it's time to get a warm and comfortable hammock setup.

I tried the Blackbird XLC. I really, really wanted to love it. I worked with it in my backyard for a while and it's just not for me. Spur of the moment I ordered an RTS Darien, 11' long, 70" wide, 1.7 MTN XL, and I love it!

So now I want to get an underquilt ( tried various pads in the Hennessy - pads are not for me ). I'm going to order either an UGQ Zeppelin or a Wooki XL. I've got a good idea about temp rating that will work for me, just hoping for some discussion about other aspects like fit, comfort, ease, etc. between these two options since my Darien is quite wide. I'm not particularly worried about saving a few ounces or a bit of bulk, not too much of a problem on my bike.

I have read some other posts discussing similar, but apparently I still want to talk about it more. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    sloth99, Welcome to the forum. T’were it me, I’d shy away from the Wooki. I’m guessing you could make it work, but it is really designed for the BlackBird or XLC. One thing to consider is your size. For example, if you are in the 5’6” range, then you can save dollars, weight, and bulk by using a ¾ length UQ. I have several quilts from Hammock Gear, WarBonnet, ArrowHead Equipment and WildernessLogics. They ALL work.

I also like the ¾ length because it doesn’t bind so much on the diagonal and there is less chance of gap because it end before my feet push out a bit. I only need and extra small pad for my lower legs if I am pushing the comfort range.

One thing to check is if your UQ has a differential cut - you Want that. It means the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller so you can pull the top of the UQ snug up to the bottom of your hammock without worrying about compressing the down/loft. If your UQ has a head end - like Hammock Gear's - you’ll want to put a different colored microbiner or S-biner on the head end (Red for the head) so when you set it up you won’t waste time identifying the head end.

I use a UQP with my UQ’s because 1) I mostly set up alone and the UQP allows me to be less precise. 2) it adds a few degrees additional heat retention. 3) Provides coverage if the wind should change and it protects against any rain splash under the tarp. 4. It keeps your UQ clean if the hammock should slip out of your hands when setting up or putting away and fall on the ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks very much for the reply and advice. I'm a bit over 6'/200 lbs, seem keen on a full length UQ.

I suppose I got the idea for the Wooki from posts on this forum about using a Wooki on other brands. I seem to be nervous about having troubles setting up an UQ. After your post I checked, the Zeppelin has a differential cut - thanks for the tip about that, and about the UQP.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    With the Wooki, the only thing that is "designed for the BlackBird or XLC" is the length. The Wooki is simply an ultralight insulated hammock, and it will fit under any normal GE hammock. The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the length, and you can do that by adding a piece of cord. Just do not use it with any non-Warbonnet hammock without adding extensions, because you will over stress the fabric if your hammock is longer than the Eldorado or XLC. And whatever you do, keep one elastic element (e.g. the original rubber band) in the suspension, as this acts as a fuse

I still own a lot of standard underquilts like e.g. an UGQ Zeppelin, but I will only use Wooki-style underquilts with my GE hammocks because the fit is lightyears better. The longest hammock I have used a Wooki with is about 14' long. It worked beautifully.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I use a Wooki XL with my 11 ft. Darien and it works just fine. I did have to add 3-4 inches of cord to each end to get the right stretch in the elastic at the foot end but, after adding that, it works as designed. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the Wooki if you like that style UQ, just know you will probably need to fiddle with it a bit the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittenhanger View Post
    I use a Wooki XL with my 11 ft. Darien and it works just fine. I did have to add 3-4 inches of cord to each end to get the right stretch in the elastic at the foot end but, after adding that, it works as designed. I wouldn't be afraid to buy the Wooki if you like that style UQ, just know you will probably need to fiddle with it a bit the first time.
    Thank you very much. Was it shock cord or a firmer cord that you used? I've read that the length may need to be extended, but you need to maintain about a 2" stretch in the Wooki's elastic?

Quote Originally Posted by sloth99 View Post
    Thank you very much. Was it shock cord or a firmer cord that you used? I've read that the length may need to be extended, but you need to maintain about a 2" stretch in the Wooki's elastic?
    The rubber band that is original to the Wooki is all the tension you need. Simply add to its suspension to achieve the correct length.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    Have you looked at the trail winder?
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/produ...winder-asym-uq

Mine fits on a cheap 11'x 72" Amazon hammock

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    The rubber band that is original to the Wooki is all the tension you need. Simply add to its suspension to achieve the correct length.
    Thank you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast