Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    The following is based on my experience in a GE hammock as a side sleeper. The proper adjustment of the UQ when on your back will be too loose, especially at the foot end, when you turn on your side. When on my side I am in more of a fetal position and therefore there is basically no weight at the foot end where the adjustment cord is located. If you side sleep straight as a board, if that is even possible, this effect would be lessened I would imagine. You can adjust the UQ for side sleeping but it will be too tight at the cinches if you lay on your back. It is also very difficult to adjust the UQ without help, but can be done with trial and error.

I found no work around and never solved the issue with a GE. Having said that, I have found 2 solutions. The first is a bridge hammock. It doesn't care how you lay in it. The second is the Superior Gear insulated hammock. Since the insulation is sewn in it follows your body contact points better. Good luck.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundskeeper View Post
    The following is based on my experience in a GE hammock as a side sleeper. The proper adjustment of the UQ when on your back will be too loose, especially at the foot end, when you turn on your side. When on my side I am in more of a fetal position and therefore there is basically no weight at the foot end where the adjustment cord is located. If you side sleep straight as a board, if that is even possible, this effect would be lessened I would imagine. You can adjust the UQ for side sleeping but it will be too tight at the cinches if you lay on your back. It is also very difficult to adjust the UQ without help, but can be done with trial and error.

I found no work around and never solved the issue with a GE. Having said that, I have found 2 solutions. The first is a bridge hammock. It doesn't care how you lay in it. The second is the Superior Gear insulated hammock. Since the insulation is sewn in it follows your body contact points better. Good luck.
    I find side sleeping with a 3/4 length underquilt (HG Phoenix) easier because there isn't a foot end like a full length where gaps can open up. However, the shock cord suspension can get annoying when I'm laying flat with legs straight out. Always something.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Note that thought the UQ looks (and is) just right before you get in the hammock, it can shift on entry. Once I get in, I check to see where that the end of the UQ is at least at my shoulders if not a touch higher, and I check the UQ and the sides, sometimes having to pull it up on one side to re-center it. If your UQ has a differential cut, you don’t have to worry about compressing loft when you snug it up to the bottom of the hammock - it’s meant to do that. And a UQP (under quilt protector) isn’t for everyone, but it provides enough advantages for me that I use them all the time. it will add warmth by providing more wind blockage from all directions and will cover the ends of the UQ.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundskeeper View Post

Pretty much ditto for all of that. Add to the solutions you mentioned( I do both of them) my HT90º hammock.

BTW, Ms Fancy, welcome to the club of the most common problem related to GE hammocks, except maybe for calf ridge. Might be a toss up. But both problems are related to GE hammocks. And it seems to me to be worse with GE hammocks and full length UQs. I have seen this problem expressed by numerous people every year since I got here with my old HH Super Shelter in early 2007. It has never ceased to be a problem or complaint. So, you are part of a large club.

For me- depending on the hammock and UQ combo, seems some are worse than others, I have found that (like Groundskeeper said), there can be a tendency for one side to gap away when I turn on my side. I also sometimes notice a tendency for the full length UQs to gap away from my left leg when my legs are right and head left.

Now, don't get me wrong. I actually have had mostly good luck with my UQs and GE hammocks. For example, early on a had a toasty sleep in a very windy 18F(and some wind was definitely getting past the tarp) using a full length JRB MW4 UQ on a WB Black Bird hammock. And that was my first attempt with any UQ on a GE hammock. My son's 1st night in both a hammock and an UQ was using the short WB Yeti on a GE hammock, lows in the 20s, and he was fine(with a pad under his legs). But we have done OK with our UQs on GE hammocks, but there are so are so many complaints from people struggling.

Although, I have never used an UQ on a HH hammock. I started with an HH Explorer UL insulated with a HH Super Shelter, and I always used that insulation on that HH hammock. And it always worked better than I expected or than it looked like it would, often working very well indeed.

For some reason, I never had any of these problems with my old Speer Pea Pod. (no longer available) And though there are some very knowedgeable people who disagree with me, I have been saying since about 2008 that I found a bridge hammock easier to insulate than a GE. I have found that- at least using a full length JRB UQ on a JRB bridge hammock- or a partial length JRB UQ on a WB bridge hammock. There are never any gaps, unless maybe up near the top edge which I am not in contact with anyway. Also, I have not been able to yet find any gaps on my Superiorgear insulated hammock, but I still have to test it in the winter, so time will tell.

But, you don't have those hammocks or UQs, you have a HH. I am not familiar with that UQ. But usually, the problem is it is gapping away for some reason. Do you know if your UQ has a differential cut? This allows you to pull the quilt much more snugly against the hammock without flattening the loft. If so, keep experimenting with a tighter UQ pitch. Snug enough to lift your hammock usually seems to work better for me. Good luck to you!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    included in ^
    Insulation
    HOGS Down UQ -10
    Suspension
    ropes and knots...
    Thanks for all the additional comments. It's very helpful to read that this is a common issue and there are various solutions out there. I assume as I continue to use a hammock, gear in form of different hammocks and UQs is likely to accumulate and I will keep in mind the recommendations made in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    In bed I am a dedicated side sleeper. But in my GE hammock I have become a “tweener”. I sleep at an angle like a back sleeper but my back is resting somewhat against the sidewall of the hammock. Not sure how to clearly explain it. But it doesn’t work well with a pad. With an under quilt it’s fine. I also set it up, got in it and had my SIL run his hand between the hammock and under quilt to ck gaps etc. for the initial pre-hike set up
    Last edited by Longwinters; 10-15-2021 at 21:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12