Quote Originally Posted by meteorharry View Post
I'm really enjoying using a long/wide Thermarest X-Therm Max in my double layer Ridgerunner but do occasionally get cold shoulders/knees when I side sleep and I end up rolling near the edge of the pad. ...............
Let me make absolutely sure I have understood what your complaint is:
A: Are you talking about your knees, near the edge of the pad, are sticking out a bit beyond the edge of the pad, and contacting the edge of the hammock? Thus compressing the insulation in your top quilt ( or sleeping bag), greatly reducing it's insulation value?

Or,
B: are you talking about drafts that occur along the edges of your UQ, probably when the edge of the UQ lifts up and loses contact with the hammock, allowing warm air to escape? If the latter, then go with Cougarmeats thoughts about a wider tQ or even a zipped up sleeping bag. If it is the latter(drafts), adding an UQ is probably not going to help you.
But, if it is your knees compressing the loft when they contact the edges of the hammock, I doubt a wider TQ is going to help you. No matter how wide, you will still compress that down at your knees. An UQ MIGHT help in that case(or CCF inserts at the knees under your pants). Assuming you can keep the top edge of the UQ snug up against the top edge of the hammock, while using a pad.

So, is the problem A(contacting the edge of the hammock?) or B(drafts)?