El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Consider me confused. Looking at the link, it states "expert gravel ride, very good fitness required" and then in contrast to that "suitable for all skill levels". Huh?

A full suspension bike is a pita in those places where it isn't expressly required, but when you need it, it's really needed, such as Ripio which I consider to be the worst. Contrary to what your experience has been, I've found that my hammock gear takes up volume quite a bit more that a tent setup and water is also tricky to carry on a bike like that, though you aren't really going anywhere off the path far enough to worry about that.

My difficulty with hammocks on a trip like yours is that it would be nice, though not essential, that every member of the group should have a hammock. that would go double with the bike and so it could exclude a great number of potential riders. Lastly ... 12 to 14 mph on mostly gravel for 148 miles overnight with moderate elevation changes? A hundred miles for a tree day is more like the ACA rides tempo for similar conditions. I remember riding a few days near the land between the lakes with a guy who scouted for ACA and he rode variations of the route over and over before it went to approval.

Good luck, hope I didn't sound too negative and let us know how it goes for you. I got into hammocking partly because of the benefits it can bring to cyclists but on a long tour I always make sure I can also go to ground - always.
    No you don't sound too negative. You might note my comments about full sus have to something to do with comfort and often for people with damage. I didn't think it was worth it till I tried it and found out I was wrong. Not the first or even latest time.

Water is limited for me to `6l I can carry comfortably, 5l down low with a large bottle in one chum bag. I don't wear back packs on trips. Though I can through water in my rear panniers temporarily or replace front fork storage with another set of bottles and gain another 3-4 liters down low. Short term solution for a known day or two without water. I tend to stick to 3l and a 550 bottle most of the time locally.

I expect to have to ride the route several times, this is one of them. And I care about me and anyone that has a hammock being able to hang if it gets turned into a three day trip as a just in case. Its not mandatory to bring a hammock. Finding hammock and tent camping together takes a little time here, not really difficult. Just a reason for this trip and the first ride of this particular route. There are restrictions on how many things you can say without refrencing a hammock outside the off topic forums too.
    Here there is almost no chance of ever being forced to go to ground anywhere along this route. You are never more than a few minutes ride from a private copse of trees. And you go through two wilderness areas with primitive camping allowed in forests.

This ride is deceptively easy, you leave town on easy paved roads and go to really well manicured gravel with barely any climbing for hours. You get a little steady workout on good roads with moderate climbs starting after lunch the first day. The second day starts rough and get progressively easier with the last 30 miles in town with cafes and manicured bike trails aplenty.

One of those trips that eases you into and out of it so it seems hard, but only for a bit, and only hard enough to make you feel you accomplished something. A good way to bring people new to bikepacking or new to these mountians out is the idea.

Your difference in space for hammock vs tent might have to do with temp range, way we pack, anything. Want to ride to the local cyclist hole and have a packing contest on the bar? One that uses the most viole straps buys the next round.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    yeah, it's hard to leave one's personal foibles and past experience out of things. My packing "needs" are based on a quick get out as I've done so much stealth camping. The hammock's are wonderful for that. In a tent I've always felt more secure about temperature ratings, and take less "just in case" stuff. But with hammocks the one negative is that one week it can reasonably be in the 70's at night, and then the next week at some higher elevations it could be with frost on the ground. I've hammocked a bit over ten years now, but have to admit that I am still quite unskilled compared to many here that perhaps have been hanging three or four years. Wild camping has been pretty good, but camping at state parks or local parks have really taught me that I need more gear, or a smarter more versatile setup. So now on a bike it is a tarp with a beak on it, and a wide one at that, and I will start to pack for the cool end of the spectrum. I used to be careless of cold snaps, but cold and wet can be dangerous.

But even when I was going light, I needed two bags, on that I could throw in the tent or under the tarp that had all my down stuff. The sleeping bag the bottom quilt, small pillow and a 20" inflatable (just in case I am unable to hang - which while infrequent has happened and I spend the night under just the tarp cursing at mosquitos) The other bag had my tent, or hammock and tarp. I take a tarp always, and spare lines, stakes, carabiners etc.

In writing this I realize that stuck in my head is a very different ideal cycling trip than yours and yeah, it's my packing for a month that is the difference. It's worse when I take my motorcycle ( a KLR ). Weight doesn't matter of course, but man, I'm in need of volume. Perhaps I need to change - but I know I won't!

The route you've picked, after I took a better look at it and the elevation changes more closely, does sound pretty near perfect. Still, I'd add a day.

Are you posting this or a similar thread in the bike packing forum? I joined up yesterday as a contributing member because of your post. Somehow I never noticed cycle hanging was a thing here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12