Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images

ViDEO: A Few Simple Knots

In my Tarp folding video thread I mentioned that I would get around to making a video that demonstrates the few simple knots that I use, and here it is! Do not expect Shug-like production quality, LOL!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Really enjoyed the video. Wish I had known that Blake's Hitch pneumonic years ago. Would have saved me some aggravation.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Good stuff, Bob. Thanks for sharing!

Since the last two knots seem to essentially function similarly (adjustable friction hitch), what's your reasoning for using one vs the other? You mentioned using the Midshipman's on the ridgeline and the Blake's on guy lines - are they interchangeable, or is one more suited (in your mind) to a specific purpose?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Really enjoyed the video. Wish I had known that Blake's Hitch pneumonic years ago. Would have saved me some aggravation.
    Haha, I came up with that mnemonic when showing a friend how to tie it, and he instantly 'got it' and to this day remembers it even if he hasn't tied it in months. I wish there was one like that for the Button Knot!!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Good stuff, Bob. Thanks for sharing!

Since the last two knots seem to essentially function similarly (adjustable friction hitch), what's your reasoning for using one vs the other? You mentioned using the Midshipman's on the ridgeline and the Blake's on guy lines - are they interchangeable, or is one more suited (in your mind) to a specific purpose?
    Definitely could use the Midshipman's hitch for guylines, but the reason I don't is because that knot tends to loosen itself when getting jostled around while unloaded. But it's easier to tie/untie quickly on a regular basis than Blake's, so it goes on the CRL. However, although Blake's is a skosh more involved when tying, it's essentially 'tie once and leave it' on the corner D-rings, and it stays tied. And that's the logic behind how they each found their place in the line-up.

A bit more about the utility of Lapp-on-a-loop... For short hangs I use Midshipman's on both ends of the tarp CRL to give more range of adjustability to take up slack... sometimes, though, there's plenty of space between trees in which case I'll tie the fixed Lapp loop on one end and the Midshipman's on the other. Also useful when tying off to bushes, logs or other non-stake options for guylines, along with Midshipman's, clove hitch etc.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HMG DCF tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    For this purpose, I would say the two knots are somewhat interchangeable. I can't speak to Bob's reasoning behind it. However, I use a Blake's hitch in climbing rope for climbing trees, and trust my weight to it (and thus life and limb!). I wouldn't trust the midshipman's to the same level with the potential shock-force. I find that the MS does not hold as well as the BH, so I'm more likely to use MS for something like a tarp, where I'd rather see the hitch fail than wind tear the tarp.

Great stuff, Bob. I shall hopefully give the Lapp Hitch a trial at the weekend if I get out into the woods as planned.

Have you shortened the MyersTech webbing? 15' is a bit long for my needs. It looks like it would be fine to cut and maybe melt/run a bar tack across the end but it took so long to arrive from the States that I'm a little hesitant...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Humneso View Post
    For this purpose, I would say the two knots are somewhat interchangeable. I can't speak to Bob's reasoning behind it. However, I use a Blake's hitch in climbing rope for climbing trees, and trust my weight to it (and thus life and limb!). I wouldn't trust the midshipman's to the same level with the potential shock-force. I find that the MS does not hold as well as the BH, so I'm more likely to use MS for something like a tarp, where I'd rather see the hitch fail than wind tear the tarp.
    Definitely only for hammock, tarp and other camping applications!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by problem_chimp View Post
    Great stuff, Bob. I shall hopefully give the Lapp Hitch a trial at the weekend if I get out into the woods as planned.

Have you shortened the MyersTech webbing? 15' is a bit long for my needs. It looks like it would be fine to cut and maybe melt/run a bar tack across the end but it took so long to arrive from the States that I'm a little hesitant...
    Yes, I cut mine down to 10' and melted with a butane lighter. No problems.

With Kevlar you must fold the end and bar tack.

It takes a while to develop confidence in the Lapp Hitch, that's for sure!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

ViDEO: A Few Simple Knots

Lapp hitch tied on continuous loop is almost magical. Just looking at it…doesn’t seem to be able to hold hammock in air…yet it does levitate your hammock…mystically without fail

Thanks Bob

Hammock
    Chillax double
    Tarp
    blue all purpose
    Insulation
    Hyke & Byke
    Suspension
    simple straps
    The Lapp hitch has been my new favorite knot lately. Quick to tie, quick to release. I haven't had any problem with it, so I don't see myself changing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast