which amok sleeping pad?

Hi all,
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the Amok Draumr but can't decide which pad to get. I'll mostly be using it in northern MN/Ontario in the summer. Thinking the temp range will be 40 degrees up to 80. Can't decide between the Fjol and the Fjol untralight. Packability is important so I'm leaning toward the UL...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I use an exped synmat 9 with mine.

I think the more nights you plan on 10 degrees or cooler. you will want the fjol

*Temps under 55 in freedom figures

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-o View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at pulling the trigger on the Amok Draumr but can't decide which pad to get. I'll mostly be using it in northern MN/Ontario in the summer. Thinking the temp range will be 40 degrees up to 80. Can't decide between the Fjol and the Fjol untralight. Packability is important so I'm leaning toward the UL...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom-o, welcome to Hammock Forums! I recently purchased the Fjol ultralight, and I'm impressed. The UL is 11 ounces lighter and has an better R rating (R 3.5 vs R 3.0) than the standard Fjol. Apparently the insulation is laminated to both sides of the UL. It does pack down a little smaller too. Of course it costs $60 more, so there is that. I was using a Big Agnes Insulated Q Core SLX previously, and the Fjol UL seems to be a better fit.

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up purchasing the Draumr 5.0 xl, the ultralight pad and the ultralight tarp. I was on the fence about the draumr size. I'm 6 1' so went with the xl, but wow that pad is huge!

So, after four nights in the Amok, I've determined that it's not the right hammock for me. I really love the flat lay, once all is said and done, but getting in and out remained annoying, despite repeated practice. I realize this is something that would likely become second nature over time, but after testing out multiple nights in a Warbonnet XLC, I found I ultimately preferred it over the Amok. Having said that, I thought chair mode was awesome, and I did enjoy the flat and comfortable lay. If I had the money for multiple hammocks, I'd keep it, but I think I'll eventually part with it in order to pick up the xlc....

I’m not going to try and convince you to stick with it if it’s not for you but i found getting in and out became dramatically easier once I lowered it a bit. YMMV

I can imagine lowering it would make it quite a bit easier. I also bet it would become second nature with more use.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-o View Post
    I can imagine lowering it would make it quite a bit easier. I also bet it would become second nature with more use.
    I find it easiest to get in and out side-saddle style. Chair mode is easiest to get in and out.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I found saddle-style entry to be my preference as well.

Shug, have you hiked the SHT section through Duluth?

• + New Posts