Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Double.layer for pad. Will I regret it?

Other than an ENO DN, I am looking at getting my first camping hammock. DH Sparrow. Since most of my camping is May to October....I'm thinking that using a pad may be a good option. So, that would mean a double layer construction.

It's tricky because I don't have the experience. I know many of you have tried insulated pads like Thermarest and Klymit, and found that it was just much better to go for an underquilt in the long run. I pay another $50 or so for the double layer and my hammock gets heavier. If I end up realizing that using a pad is clearly inferior to an UQ, then I've blown it.

Should I just forget this idea and get a single layer Sparrow?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can easily...more or less...use a pad inside of a single layer hammock.
    Most all of us started with pads and some still prefer them.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Personally I say go UQ. You are sleeping in the warm so you don't have to go super expensive ultralight packable down from the top.

Easthills Outdoors 3 Seasons... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834QVDLW...p_mob_ap_share

Cheap, but it has baffling for the ends and is easy to adjust. I recommend it to beginners. Worked fine to 40 for me, but I sleep warm. I use one for my child regularly still.

Pads defeat the purpose of the fabric supporting you and rob you of the benefits you can get from tuning your hang.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Personally I say go UQ. You are sleeping in the warm so you don't have to go super expensive ultralight packable down from the top.

Easthills Outdoors 3 Seasons... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834QVDLW...p_mob_ap_share

Cheap, but it has baffling for the ends and is easy to adjust. I recommend it to beginners. Worked fine to 40 for me, but I sleep warm. I use one for my child regularly still.

Pads defeat the purpose of the fabric supporting you and rob you of the benefits you can get from tuning your hang.

我宁愿在山上。
    Crap, Shug posted while I was writing mine.
    Normally I have to wait for my wife to see what I wrote to find out I'm wrong.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    A pad is more vesatile IF you have to go to ground.

An UQ would be far more comfy and if using down,lighter and less bulk.

The onky way is to try it.

I jyst bought a tentsile skypad-absolutely brilliant but i havent tried it in my hammock yet.

Im actually using it in my bed.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Pads are uncomfortable, and hard to keep under you, even in a double layer. I wouldn't even consider a pad if I could afford a UQ.

Of course, I started with a pad, but have thankfully forgotten those painful memories (like getting a double layer hammock expressly for the purpose of using a pad - that DL hammock saw about three uses before I ponied up for a UQ).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Hammocks and UQs are designed to get you off of the ground and pad at the same time.

Like magic.

You may quote me on this
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Dictated by budget. I also gave a pad a very quick try. For most folks the pad is the Starting point. If budget is not there @ this particular time, get a pad so you can start hanging as their much warmer than nothing & work for some people. Most graduate to a UQ fairly quickly. Wal-Mart has a blue pad that's 5-10 bucks. Good starting point to get you out there. If you like it you can try an UQ as budget dictates. If you don't care for it, you have lost very little.
    As far as the double, I like them but I motorcycle camp & don't tote them. In warmer weather I have used the double layer with a wool military blanket quad folded & slid in. Was very comfortable. Used the blanket & UQ in very cold & was good.
    A lot of people say buy best & cry once. I would have cried a lot if I bought top shelf & found I didn't love it. To me the quickly upgrading & trying different things was most of the fun. HYOH

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I never fully understood that. When we talk pads and hammocks, it always relates to the least common denominator the blue WW closed cell special. In reality dedicated ground pounders will often spend 100 dollars or more on their pads, often buying several before ending up with what works best for them.

In retrospect an UQ isn't all that overboard on price points.

Any pad you choose will have the same pad related problems, easy to roll off and hard to adjust. A double layer with the pad in between the layers just makes you get completely out of the hammock to adjust it in most cases.

Pads are also bulky and despite being a non-issue weight penalty wise, volume and bulk are the bein of anyone trying to drop weight into a smaller pack. Almost always end up strapped to the outside of the pack.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Hammocks and UQs are designed to get you off of the ground and pad at the same time.

Like magic.

You may quote me on this

So.etimes it is not possible to hang-please explain to me how you SURVIVE with hammock/UQ/TQ only in the snow.

Klymit make a hammock specific pad that,no surprises here,works on the ground just as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast