Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That’s sort of why I might prefer a revese lay - head right - because I can guy out the BlackBird on that right side away from the entrance (guy line doesn’t get in the way) and that pulls the bugnet out a bit from my ear - even with head right. Or I use a small camp pillow. I very seldom use the pillow for my head. It’s either to provide knee support or it’s to the side of my head, holding the netting away.

they don’t give them away, but there is an MSR gadget you can charge vis USB plug. It heats up a fiber that gives off Bug-be-Gone scent or some such. It might be effective if the critters had a regular dinner hour. But if they are constantly there, I suppose it’s sprays, lotions, or just plan on a different location is the order of the day.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Reading through this thread I am conflicted on how I could have such a different experience from all UQ lovers here. I have been using Warbonnet GE hammocks for about 15 years now with an Exped down mat or Therm-a-rest Xtherm and I have never owned a double layer hammock. I have owned several UQ's but sold them after a couple of uses because of the rigging fiddle factor and threat of calf ridge (not to mention they were not nearly as comfortable as a down mat). And not nearly as warm or even as light as the down mat. The standard Exped down mat is 15 oz and has an R value of 6. The Xtherm is about the same and both pack down small.

Sometimes I make a small pad sleeve and velcro the pad into the foot box, but now days I just get a long/wide center zip down bag like a EE convert or Feathered Frends Flicker and just put the pad inside the bag with me. That works for a Klymit insulated pad also, which has an R value of 4. I currently have a Superior hammock with an integrated UQ and sort of like it because of minimal fiddle factor. But I still use my pad inside it for the comfort factor.

BTW, I respect all opinions expressed here. We are all out to have a good time based on what works best for us.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    Reading through this thread I am conflicted on how I could have such a different experience from all UQ lovers here. I have been using Warbonnet GE hammocks for about 15 years now with an Exped down mat or Therm-a-rest Xtherm and I have never owned a double layer hammock. I have owned several UQ's but sold them after a couple of uses because of the rigging fiddle factor and threat of calf ridge (not to mention they were not nearly as comfortable as a down mat). And not nearly as warm or even as light as the down mat. The standard Exped down mat is 15 oz and has an R value of 6. The Xtherm is about the same and both pack down small.

Sometimes I make a small pad sleeve and velcro the pad into the foot box, but now days I just get a long/wide center zip down bag like a EE convert or Feathered Frends Flicker and just put the pad inside the bag with me. That works for a Klymit insulated pad also, which has an R value of 4. I currently have a Superior hammock with an integrated UQ and sort of like it because of minimal fiddle factor. But I still use my pad inside it for the comfort factor.

BTW, I respect all opinions expressed here. We are all out to have a good time based on what works best for us.
    One aspect of this that I envy is that you're always ready to GtG if necessary.

And no need to feel conflicted; if something works great for you it doesn't matter if others don't do the same. But I did try various air mats early on — while anxiously awaiting delivery of my first UQ! — and they just didn't work for me.

I can also appreciate the value of center-zip sleeping bags, and not because I have experience with them specifically, but rather with a center zip bivy bag. I've used various bivvies over the years and the design that is hands-down best (IMVHO) is the center-zip Splash bivy that Zpacks used to make. Ingress/egress much easier than any other design.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Thanks for your reassurance! I think one thing that may make my experience different from hangers in the flatter parts of the country is that I am usually up in the mountains and often near tree line. That often limits my choice of nicely spaced trees and can effect my set-up angle and thus the calf ridge problem. Once my foot end was clipped into some rocks with a climbing cam and my head end was hooked to a short tree stub that had been broken off by an avalanche, all with a long span. But the important thing was that I was up off the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I'm new to hammocks, as well as this forum, and just got my blackbird delivered yesterday. I did order the lightweight double with thoughts of a pad as I already own a klymet insulated for ground pounding, which is heavy at a pound and half. I was considering getting a lighter pad but thankfully, after reading the above posts decided against it. The question I have is since under quilts are of down, how long does a person dare to keep them compressed without damaging them. I'm up in age and sure don't want to mess with a pad that could move all over the place.
    Oh and thank you mods for allowing me to join this forum.
    Last edited by Bushmaster; 12-25-2021 at 14:40.

Hammock
    Gold Armour 10.4
    Tarp
    Gold Armour 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic 30*
    Suspension
    Spider straps
    It is best to keep down bags and quilts uncompressed when you are not using them. You can usually keep them in something like a king size pillow case, or hung in a closet if it has hanging loops. I put mine in a hammock, just toss them all in.

I'm interested to try a pad before purchasing an undequilt. I realize the general consensus is that undequilts are so much more comfortable, but if I can get away with a pad (at least for starters) then I can at least get this hammock journey started.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom-o View Post
    I'm interested to try a pad before purchasing an undequilt. I realize the general consensus is that undequilts are so much more comfortable, but if I can get away with a pad (at least for starters) then I can at least get this hammock journey started.
    Good call. UQs are sometimes the dealbreakers on several levels for the new hammocker......https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...PBkH55Ns90zkAu
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've also never had a mosquito bite thru the hammock material, not even Hexon 1.0 single layer.

I'd share my secret but I don't know what it is.
    You have been Blessed. I had 15 + mosquito bites on my back during my first night in a single-layer Hennessey Explorer Deluxe. I bought a double-layered XLC after that and have not had a single bite since. I use a single layer, netless hammock in the Winter, but I use a double-layer here in the SouthEast.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I also got some serious bites w/ a single layer and a fronkey, and no UQ.
    Of course that was Florida.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast