Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    I have had good luck using pads and A Klymit insulated in dl hammocks. If it’s not cold, a WallyWorld blue exercise pad works for me.
    I don’t hike or backpack, so weight and bulk don’t concern me too much. Also have a JacksRBetter mt Washington and some diy UQs which I love also.
    Try the magic blue pad, it’s a cheap way to start

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I use a TQ and UQ on my DL WBRR, but I also put a military casualty blanket in the sleeve when the temps go below 32F.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Z-Rest and Yeti
    Suspension
    web 'n beener
    I dabbled with a 3/4 UQ (WB Yeti) and I must say, I prefer using a pad with my double-layer WBBB.

When you a use pad (say, a Z-rest) it under the double layer, it tends to stay put throughout the night, even if you change positions or get out and back in the hammock to pee. There's minimal fiddling in my experience. Set and forget.

There's no cold spots or gaps in insulation. I've been quite cozy down to high 30's using a Z-rest for insulation. My 20* Yeti left my back and butt slightly, ever so slightly, chilled in similar temperatures, and often required me to pull it back up over my left shoulder when it moved. The pad doesn't move.

What I like the most about pads is that they provide a bit of structure and rigidity to the hammock, rather than you simply sagging down into the hammock fabric. Some people may find that fine, even cozier, but I need a bit of stiffness on my sleeping surface. Otherwise my back is at the whim of the folds of the hammock fabric.

Now, you're going to have some condensation with a pad -- that's a major advantage of an a UQ. Ventilation of body moisture is superior. However, if you use a Z-rest, those egg-crate divots will collect the condensation and keep it off your back. You simply wring it out in the morning.

Now, I've never used a full-length UQ so I can't speak to that. But, overall, using a 3/4 UQ with a sit pad for my legs doesn't work so well for me. I returned to the pad.
    Last edited by rjc149; 09-25-2021 at 20:17.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post

That Klymit pad costs 170 dollars. [/url]

That is a fantastic price compared to NZ-around $340

I just bought a tentsile skypad,actualy made by klymit.
    Its great but have not hung with it yet.

Its a bit narrow but i have ways around that.

Another month or 2 and ill have my down underquilt as well

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I never fully understood that. When we talk pads and hammocks, it always relates to the least common denominator the blue WW closed cell special. In reality dedicated ground pounders will often spend 100 dollars or more on their pads, often buying several before ending up with what works best for them.

In retrospect an UQ isn't all that overboard on price points.

Any pad you choose will have the same pad related problems, easy to roll off and hard to adjust. A double layer with the pad in between the layers just makes you get completely out of the hammock to adjust it in most cases.

Pads are also bulky and despite being a non-issue weight penalty wise, volume and bulk are the bein of anyone trying to drop weight into a smaller pack. Almost always end up strapped to the outside of the pack.
    Yikes, the insulated Klymit hammock version's listed weight is 35oz! A quality, full-length 0°F-rated UQ is around 26oz.

Klymit R value is 4.4, which is marginal at best for a 'winter' air mat.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yea, I was referring to the weight of the WW Blue mart special. My point was when most threads compare UQ vs Pad costs and weight. It's usually a comparison between a piece of CCF and a handmade cottage vended UQ.

Many other pads out there out serve the Klymit in price, weight, bulk, effectiveness. This is not an UL piece of gear.

IF and that's a big if, I were deciding to go back to ground pounding and hiking, I do agree the Klymit is a major weight penalty. Too much.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I found that the double layer in my XLC did little to help mitigate my pad from shifting underneathe me. I actually found it easier to adjust and keep in place when i DIDNT place it in between layers.

I briefly tried a pad with my double-layer blackbird xlc, but once I got the underquilt I will never use a pad again. It's like sinking into a warm cloud sometimes. Love the quilt.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Pad vrs Air Mattres vrs UQ. All will work. UQ is more comfortable. Pad and Air Mattress do allow one to go to grown so I make sure I do not have to go to ground.

Have used my UQs down to 9 degrees in the snow. Only got down to 18 degrees with a pad and was freezing alll night.

My wife can not use a Pad or Air Mattress as she always has a massive condessation issue when using them in a hammock.

Before I switched to UQ's I tried using pads and Air Matress and found the pad worked better, less sliding, felt more comfortable than Air Matress in the hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DWG Chameleon 1.6 Hex, Sym BugNet
    Tarp
    12'x10' Silnylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DWG Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd go with a double layer if you're going to be using a pad a lot, but that's just me.

I started out using a pad in a single layer, and it worked, but I really found it to be a total pain. I tried both inflatable pads and closed cell foam pads. I move around a lot in my sleep and kept slipping off the pad. If I was going to exclusively use a pad, having tried it in a single layer I think I'd definitely go double layer, but I don't know that it makes it any easier. However, having tried an underquilt, I'll never go back to using a pad. I am very nitpicky about my setup being dialed in, and I could never get the pad underneath me the way I wanted it. Once I moved, it had a tendency to move out of place too, and before I knew it 1am had rolled around and I still hadn't slept because my brain was so OCD about the placement of the pad. When I switched to an underquilt, I slept so much more comfortable without waking up with a cold back and dealing with the headache of wrestling the pad back underneath me. Also using an UQ lets you not have to worry about getting a double layer, which means a lighter hammock.

Not trying to persuade you into using an UQ instead of a pad, just giving my thoughts and experiences. Clearly others posting on here use pads and like them a lot. Maybe if I had a double layer hammock I might enjoy using pads more too.

Good luck dialing in the setup!

Peace!!
    Last edited by Mj_browne; 10-03-2021 at 13:15.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast