Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Save the $50+ for the double layer and put it towards an underquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think, pads don't work well enough in GE hammocks. If you would like to keep a pad in your set-up, look at 90° hammocks (Amok Draumr or Cross Hammock) or a bridge hammock. Both types work well with pads. GE hammocks work best with underquilts.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have used both and while the Synmat is comfortable enough, it is not near as comfortable as my UQ.

My suggestion is if you are just starting out and $ are tight, buy the single and use your mat in it the way Shug's video suggests. If $ is not a problem then get that super comfy UQ to start out.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdoghang View Post
    Other than an ENO DN, I am looking at getting my first camping hammock. DH Sparrow. Since most of my camping is May to October....I'm thinking that using a pad may be a good option. So, that would mean a double layer construction.

It's tricky because I don't have the experience. I know many of you have tried insulated pads like Thermarest and Klymit, and found that it was just much better to go for an underquilt in the long run. I pay another $50 or so for the double layer and my hammock gets heavier. If I end up realizing that using a pad is clearly inferior to an UQ, then I've blown it.

Should I just forget this idea and get a single layer Sparrow?
    As you've seen, it's a well-trod path that nearly always leads to UQ when it comes to GE hammocks. I tried an air mat early on and found it totally unacceptable. If I go on a backpacking trip where I'm primarily hammocking but go-to-ground is inevitable, I'll just carry a 47"x25" air mat, in addition to UQ, and take the 10.4oz hit.

But mode of travel was not mentioned, so if you're car camping you can remove weight and bulk as considerations.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thank you all. Very helpful.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have a single layer Blackbird. I use pads or underquilts interchangeably, because I often choose to sleep on the ground. The UQ is definitely more comfortable, but the pad works just fine for me, and the UQ is no good when you go to ground. I haven't tried a pad in a double layer, but it works fine in a single. I've used both inflatables and self-inflating pads (not CCF).
    The self-inflators still provide quite comfortable insulation even if they spring a leak - the air pads won't. Whether I'm using a pad or UQ, once I fall asleep in the hammock, I don't wake up until the sunrises.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my experience, adjusting a pad after climbing in the hammock (which you will always have to do) is far easier in a single layer than a double.

Over the past year or two i have been experimenting with going back to a pad (insulated inflatable) so i would have more flexibility on a long hike in the rain when shelters are available, but avoid the weight penalty of carrying both pad and UQ. I don't toss- and- turn in a hammock so don't have the issue of the pad popping out.

I got a double layer gathered- end thinking it would be like my double layer bridge and hold the pad exactly where I wanted it. I was so wrong. That thing would slide around all over the place inside the layers and was hard to keep track of. It did get somewhat easier with (a lot of) practice, but not to the point where I could just "set it and forget it," which is always my goal for camp set- up. Like Rolloff said, you have to get out of the hammock to adjust the pad in a double layer, which becomes a big PITA especially during midnight trips to pee, and especially so when it's cold.

If it were me, I would try your current hammock with a pad to see how it works for you. To compare the comfort of that setup to a UQ, just take the pad out. A UQ will feel exactly the same but warmer. Then decide which direction you want to go.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    So.etimes it is not possible to hang-please explain to me how you SURVIVE with hammock/UQ/TQ only in the snow. Klymit make a hammock specific pad that,no surprises here,works on the ground just as well.
    Granted. If I can't hang, I'm not going camping. If I have to go to ground I will just bail. I could survive a night or two on the ground but probably wouldn't do it. I started hiking again due to the change to hammocks in general. After many years on the ground, I don't even own a tent anymore. I'm not carrying a pad just in case.

That Klymit pad costs 170 dollars. Add the 50 dollars for the double layer hammock and we're already @220.
    https://klymit.com/products/insulate...31722980442202

JRB Greylock4 0 degree UQ $229.00 << This is how I stay warm in the snow in a hammock w/o a pad.
    https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/greylock-4/

The Klymit pad is a great pad but for 9 bucks I'll go downy goodness.

Here's a discussion on the Klymit V
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-idea-or-not
    Last edited by Rolloff; 09-25-2021 at 12:37.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    I like the WB Lightweight Double Eldorado. It is only 6 oz. heavier than a single. The HH Heat Reflecting Double Bubble Pad XL works well with the Eldorado. I get some moisture build up if temps are above ~65° F. I like the 40d/20d fabric configuration. It is more supple than the 30s/30d fabric in my HH Deep Jungle Zip XL.

I now have two underquilts: SLD Trail Winder UQ 40° and a brand new JRB Greylock 3. Both are reasonably priced underquilts.

Another reason to consider a double layer hammock is to address a larger body mass. Dream Hammock Knowledge Base has some informative articles in the Choosing My Hammock category.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Thanks again guys. I already have the Static V2 so I'm not spending anything for that. But ...it sounds like the general trend is away from pads and towards UQs for a number of reasons.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast