Modifying a bottom entry bug net to one that's sewed on to the hammock

Hi, I have a hammock with a bottom entry bug net & am thinking about altering it & changing it to one that zips open & closed either one or both sides (so it's removable or at the very least, can be folded back into the stuff sack on the ridge line, like the Pinnacle 360 lay flat model
    Does anyone know of where I can get detailed instructions of how to do this?
    It will be my first project so I'll need step by step instructions
    Many thanks, Colin

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Dont bother.
    Source virgin netting and zips and make it to suit from scratch.

The netting is rather cheap AND you still have your bottom entry as a secondary or spare bugnet for another hammock(or just in case you mess up your project)

Uncle google is a fantastic source for this or this forum.
    Tacblades may have something on bugnets too but his vids on sewing is worth a look at as the skills are transportable

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I agree with jadekayak, just start from scratch. There are some interesting colors and camo patterned netting these days.
    If you decide to add a zippered net, whether new materials or your existing bottom entry net, I will tell you what I would do, as a very amateur thread injector.
    Drape the netting over your set up hammock, lie in it in your most comfortable position, and then have someone pin the edges. When the netting looks good, taught but not super tight, I would ask the person doing the pinning to cut the netting about an inch below the hammock edge all the way around. Then attach a safety pin near the head end that marks both which is the head end, and which side is out. Buy 20' of zipper (https://dutchwaregear.com/product/yk...r-by-the-foot/) or whatever length you need to go around the hammock. Also get at least 4 two-sided zippers and 8 zipper pulls. From there it is whatever you want to do. Roll the hem again on the hammock or unstitch the hem to sew the zipper on.

Funny as it seem, if you are undecided about adding zippers, overall I would not. I always have to sew some netting pullouts to keep the netting away from my face on zippered nets, and it is never quite right. Bottom entry is much easier to get in and out when I got used to it. Lastly, I do not like zippers by the edge of my hammock because they do not stretch like the fabric does. Whatever you do have fun!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex / DIY sil
    Insulation
    Modular CDT's
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    One quick note - do NOT do what I did for some (not very) quick zip-on conversions - I cannibalized some old kids sleeping bags for their zippers and used Walmart sheers to make a zip in bug net. Saved, I don't know, tens of dollars, spent the extra time with a seam ripper, and now have two perfectly good hammocks with lower than necessary breathability and crap zippers.

Start with new!

Personally I wouldn't bother with an entirely zip off net myself - 18-20' of zipper can't weigh much different than some shock cord on the bottom entry, and if I need a removable bug net the bottom entry removes ALL of it, instead of leaving half the teeth to catch stuff, be cold on my face, make the edges flop more, and make me carry them. Half zip, permanent, yes, I can see the use...

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Jellyfish has a nice video series where she documents how she made her zippered bugnet hammock.
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCis_G...cdsckZw/videos

Thanks very much for your help

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Here is a pretty helpful tutorial: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t-The-Easy-Way

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWx View Post
    Jellyfish has a nice video series where she documents how she made her zippered bugnet hammock.
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCis_G...cdsckZw/videos
    Ding ding ding!!!!
    Jellyfish has lots of good videos showing how to do lots of things with these special fabrics -- especially helpful for people new to sewing!!

• + New Posts