Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI

Partial Under Quilt truly worth weight savings?

For those of you with the phoneix & the incubator- how much length does the phoenix give you? I am about 5'4" and use the hummingbird single+ hammock for perspective. I have a 20* 850 fill HG incubator but am still looking for ways to shrink my gear footprint. I am looking into the 950 fill HG in maybe the 30* with an ounce of overstuff?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have both 20F and 40F Phoenix UQs. The 40F gets used most of the time, since I'm in Florida. I'm 6'1", and it covers my shoulders to just past my knees. I sleep with a pillow anyways, so that's not such a problem. It's possible that you could get full shoulder to foot coverage with the Phoenix...maybe get a tape measure and run it from your shoulders to the ground. I think the Phoenix is 54" long.

However, I did a NC trip where I tried to push the 40F set (Phoenix/Burrow) into the 30s and my legs and feet got cold. I messed up, because I didn't bring a sit pad, went to bed cold, and didn't put on socks. I probably could push the 40F stuff if I had done it right, but there were two nights out of that five night trip where I was cold. Wrong choice of gear, but also some oversight on my own part (there was booze involved). I loaned the 20F set to my son on that trip and he was ok, but he's also shorter than me. And he wore socks.

When I got back home, I ordered a 20F Incubator.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Yes, it's worth it. At your height it will be easy. I'm over 6' 1" and use a partial most of the time.

Go for it

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I was good with partial UQs until pushing the lower end of the temp range on a 40/20 insulation set. Then I absolutely need base layer, socks, and footpad in the footbox. Since I switched to integrated insulation in my 30degree Sheltowee Whisper, I've come to realize how much heat I was losing below the knees and how many heat leaks I'd been experiencing elsewhere.

I was also able to go from a 20 degree 2/3 HG or 20 degree 3/4 length Lewis, to basically a full length 950FP 30 degree asym UQ, and I am warmer. So at 1.9lb for hammock + insulation that's my footprint reduction. Weight-wise it's really not that much savings/penalty, but for me it's dialed in @less volume. In a small pack(14L) volume is huge.

I'm about 5'6". Asym seems to work well for me. I sleep at home in a DH Freebird and can't wait to get out in the woods with my UL hiker kit. The Sheltowee is shorter by six inches and narrower but has a much better lay than any of the other hammocks I currently use or have ever owned. I don't encounter venting problems because I never hike in high enough temps to require it. If I do go to the lake in the summer or somewhere else, I have a bug net and the gear for that, just the same as I do for deer camp in December, but for hiking, it's Sheltowee/Bonefire UL and as close as I can get to 10-11 pounds.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I’m 5’8” and find in the Mid-Atlantic I use my 40° Phoenix 9 months out of the year, the other three I generally use my 0° incubator. For
    Me it’s not so much the weight as it is the packability. I know it’s not really fair to compare a 40 and 0, but having these two gets me thru the entire gamut of weather here in the mid Atlantic. I’ve even used the 40 down to the mid 20’s pairing it with a short inflatable pad just so I could use a smaller pack.
    So for me, short UQ helps me keep my pack volume down more than about weight.
    Oh, and yes, I’m very comfortable with the shorter UQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    I don't find it to be worth the difference. With the compression ratio of down you can't be saving more than a couple square inches in your pack. I guess it also depends on the temps you are in though. I often don't use any UQ in summer in Texas. But in temps at 30 or lower, I prefer full length. Figure it is worth sharing my perspective as well. Good Luck!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm 5'9" and use short (55" and 65") UQs down to 20°F because I'm fine employing a CCF sit pad to insulate my lower legs and heels.

Some people are annoyed by the shock cord in the lower leg area or complain of gaps that let in drafts. These have never been an issue for me.

For really cold weather I have a 0deg Incubator.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I'm 5' 4" and have the 3/4 length quilt. It works fine for me. any longer and it's wasted.

Charlotte

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I sure like a partial UQ for 3 season backpacking. It is about real estate in the pack. Takes less room by a fair amount. Less weight as well.
    But not all things work for everybody.
    So I say go with your gut.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 09-22-2021 at 10:10.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    You know, there are a truck load of threads at HF regarding folks having trouble sleeping anywhere near the temp rating of their UQs. I have long held the opinion that these problems arise in a higher proportion for full length UQs than for shorter UQs. Now, I figure most of these folks who ask for help with their uQs are 95% in the full length camp. (but maybe that just means 95% of UQ users use full length UQs? Maybe)

But my theory has always been that there is more to go wrong when trying to get the perfect UQ fit with a full length vs shorter UQ. Simply because of the whole diagonal lay thing, I figure there are some tricky things when my feet are crossing at a diagonal across a quilt that is usually hanging NOT on a diagonal, a quilt that wants to line up with the hammock.

I have had great luck with the partial length JRBs as well as the shortest of all, the WB Yeti. I'll never forget how my step son, on a trip to the Wind River Mountains of WY. His very first night in a hammock saw a low of 27F. He finished the week long trip with no complaints of being cold. That UQ did not come down very far below the buttocks, mid thigh at most. He had a WM blue CCF pad under his legs. No problems. I was impressed, considering it was his first night in a hammock AND his first night using an UQ. Considering how many people have reported problems with staying warm at the rated temp of a full length UQ. Now, I never have, but any others have struggled with this. I think the numbers reporting this problem with partial length UQs is exceedingly small, as far as I know.

So, are the weight and bulk savings worth it? I think so. But, most recently, I have been using the Superior insulated hammock. Which of course is full length. No problems with gaps or fit or adjustments with that one, or so it seems so far. But, it is quite different from a full length UQ hanging from a hammock. There is no perfect fit, which can change as I shift around during the night, to strive for. There is nothing to adjust. It might replace my partial length UQs, and or full length. Unless I am wanting to use my bridge or 90º hammocks. But, this hammock has been consistently comfy enough that I might not need to use those other hammocks anymore. Time will tell.

Finally, when considering whether a leg pad is sufficient, consider that one member here has used CCF pads ONLY at colder than minus 20F. Also consider that a member who does not post here anymore, Cannibal, has taken that short Yeti, rated at 0F, to way below zero(about minus 20F I think) and- with a leg pad- has been totally warm. But, he also calls himself extremely warm natured.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast