Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images

Nerding out on my hang

OK. I have issues. Lots really but only the hammock ones pertain here.

i have started an indoor hang experience if you will. This started with the ‘hammock 102’ post that talks about spending 2wks straight in a hammock before venturing out. I did not do this. Though I did spend one night in the yard before backpacking and was like “good enough” and went. I also did a ton of reading and was already on the UQ bandwagon. But I think there could be a lot of value in dialing in your hang. Inside. And taking your time to get it right.

So as I am too cheap to buy the Dutch indoor rail (which looks awesome but not intending to be a permanent indoor hanger) I went with an eye bolts in a board solution. With a daisy chain on the foot side. i am guessing there are two variables of importance on comfort. Ridgeline tension and angle (head/foot height difference). If I am wrong please correct me and I will adjust my ‘experiment’.

With that, I have seen videos on adding wraps on a carbiner for ridgeline tension. Is that an additional tool/variable? How tight it too tight for a ridgeline?

But yeah. Starting a dedicated, indoor hang tuning. My Partner is using a Hennessy Asym and I am using a WBBB.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Papa Smurf of Dream Hammocks has a short YouTube video showing hammock ridgeline tightness. He shows how to adjust suspension for optimum ridgeline tension. Not too tight and not too loose.
    Best to start with suspension at a 30* hang angle.
    And best to start with hammock ridgeline at 83% length of hammock.
    You can make small adjustments starting with those two numbers.
    Best not to have suspension too flat, too horizontal, because of the increased forces (in pounds) added to your loaded hammock weight
    With a spang tight, flat, horizontal suspension shape, forces in pounds on EACH end of suspension can be many times your body weight

Even if your hammock and or suspension are not damaged or snapped from a too horizontal suspension (way off 30* optimal position)
    The main danger is Too much force on your trees or wall. You could damage the wall, or you could pull the tree over on your sleeping carcass

Most use a thin hammock ridgeline, like zingit.
    I use 1/8 amsteel, I know it’s overkill. And sometimes my hammock ridgeline is tight when I’m in hammock.
    Hope I don’t pull a tree over onto my oblivious head

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Phantom Grappler, if possible, please post a link to that ridgeline tightness video. I tried googling it and just came up with videos with hammock reviews, but nothing with "ridgeline" in the title.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Nerding out on my hang

Cougarmeat, DreamHammocks video called

Getting a good hang angle

Also you might want to watch
    Dog Having Maximum Comfort Sleeping Outside in a Hammock

Guaranteed to change your life
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 09-21-2021 at 16:45.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I will look.

Two days in and made one smallish (is that a word) adjustment on both.

Both are close to 30°. A little over if I look at the strap. I have a theodolite app that measures all sorts of things (I am a bit of a nerd and used to be a forestry surveyor). But when one says 30°, is that loaded or 'unloaded'? The hang calculator from Derek does not seem super sensitive to weight. I started with that to hope to get the initial bits in the right spot.

But yeah. Ridgeline tension. If I am guessing that is a critical variable. How much of the load is in the ridgeline vs. the fabric of the hammock. Though I guess all the force of my butt is always in the hammock. I guess it is more about how much does this deform the hammock.

Tight means less. But if you want more firm perhaps less is better.

My first night with the indoor hang my ridgeline was loose from where I generally set it. I had one pitch like this on a trip due to poor tree selection. But yeah. Not so good,

From what I can see so far I want to be loaded towards he front otherwise the footbox is not so great on my side. And my ridgeline needs to be pretty tight. But would I be better with the same angle and a slightly tighter ridgeline. I guess I will test that soon. Last night was pretty good. Being the scientist I am I will give three nights in one set up I think is close and then tweak it. But I want to test ridgeline length via carbineer wraps.

So many options to get it dialed in.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is some ridgeline insight that may be worth a gander.....
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The ridgeline is there for one purpose in netless hammocks, and two purposes in hammocks with an integrated net. Firstly it is there to guarantee a consistent hang, by helping you to always get a similar hang angle. With a netless hammock you are free to change the ridgeline length to find a comfortable lay. Longer hammocks often are more comfortable with a proportionally shorter ridgeline, shorter hammocks often need a longer ridgeline. But once you found the perfect length (for you), it would not make sense to shorten it just because it's too slack.

In hammocks with integrated nets, the ridgeline length is set by the manufacturer, and the net is cut to fit it. If you lengthen the ridgeline, you will rip the net. If you shorten it, you will put a lot of stress on the zippers and possibly also damage the net.

If the ridgeline is too slack, it means that the hang angle is too steep. In order to tighten the ridgeline, you need to shorten the hammock suspension. If shortening the hammock suspension lifts the hammock to high, you need to lower the anchor points.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Though with a ridge line. Aside from it making an easy angle to measure it holds some structural value.

This is my thinking. With a ridge line, it it is tight the fabric of the hammock will be more like a loose pocket. And if it is loose all the lateral load will be in the fabric of the hammock.

But what does this mean for how I sleep? I am guessing that a loose ridge line might be more flat but less firm? I guess I am down the path to explore that right now. Though think I need to tweak my setup to allow for foot end height changes.

And I sleep as well in my hammock as I do in my bed already. But I am a poor sleeper and better would be OK.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    A looser ridgeline would mean even more sag in the hammock, not less/ flatter.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Lying in my hammock right now. Funny how quickly one gets an adjustment routine down. Meaning how I position my body in the hammock, not the hammock set up.

so far this has been time well spent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast