Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    I measured it and it is 10” delta between head and foot. Which looks huge but is a lot less than the recommended 16”. I just moved down one notch and definitely found a reduction in comfort. This is my super sweet spot (moved back up). I am sure this is different for different bodies. But 10” is the answer for me.

and this exercise has been 100% worth the effort. For one to just understand what feels wrong and which way to tweak the hang to get it right. For me specifically.
    Congrats on finding the groove. Now, a nice, fiddle-free hang every time!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    At home, I just use a "real" quilt. I like the weight on top of me. It's wide and not slippery, so I can turn form side to side without it leaving me.

Charlotte

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Noord-Brabant
    Hammock
    DD Hammocks Superlight range
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    underblanket
    Suspension
    whoopie slings?
    Really interesting to read. I always found it counterintuitive to have the foot end higher than the head end, because our bodies were designed to have the head up and the feet down. I guess this is mostly to counter the high center of gravity we have (when standing)?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You will always lie in the same way in the hammock. The only thing that changes when you hang the foot-end higher is that you slide closer towards the head-end.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    Four nights in and still tweaking. Though I am guessing that the amount of alcohol and sugar I consume before bed is a confounding factor. Last night I woke up way too early and started flipping. But I also have been given a good deal of peanut brittle and ate a fair chunk of that before bed. Which is never a good idea.

My head is now way below WBBB recommendation. I will measure it later. I might move it back up a notch. Though I also might release the foot end one loop in the daisy chain and that should also take some tension out of the srl.

What I really need is some sort of quantitative measure of comfort. But what does comfort even mean. Even distribution of force? Flatness?

BTW, it my understanding that flat and firm are orthogonal. Flat being from a slide sleepers view that it will not taco me.

And to keep going on I can’t help but compare this to tuning an engine. There has to be a methodology to dialing in your hang. Like do you get ridgeline/sag dialed in first? Or do you do head/foot height? I am guessing you need to cycle back and forth between the two for fine tuning as foot box comfort definitely changes with h/f ratio. But where is best to start? Right now I feel a bit like someone throwing darts at a spinning target. Though I am very much an engineer and appreciate tuning procedure. My work is similar. ‘Do this variable set first, and then dial in a second set and then go back and tweak the first set’ as everything has secondary interactions. Though this is a little more complicated as I have found that what is most comfortable at 10PM does not appear to be the thing that is most comfortable at 3AM.

Though maybe I am over thinking this.
    Nothing helpful to add besides that, as an engineer myself, I can relate to this post well. I still struggle to adapt to the "art" of getting a good hang and resist the urge to start running calculations to achieve a consistent hang. What's really baffling was the one trip where I didn't adjust my hang for 3 nights. Nights 1 and 2 were OK, but not great. Without any changes, the 3rd night was absurdly comfortable. How that works, I don't know.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    At home, I just use a "real" quilt. I like the weight on top of me. It's wide and not slippery, so I can turn form side to side without it leaving me.

Charlotte
    I'll do the same car camping in a cold fall trip

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123