Modding my Lawson

So after much research (much of it on this forum), I decided to get a Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock a few weeks ago. I tried several from various friends and fellow backpackers, and I really liked was the way it lays flatter with the spreader bars, the integrated bug net, and the way it can easily set up as a ground tent/bivy if you can't hang it for whatever reason. Being a backpacker, the thing I didn't like about it was the weight, which on mine was around 4lb. 15oz. out of the box (with no straps). I'm by no means an ultralight hiker, but I'm getting up in years and removing every possible ounce makes it easier on my knees and shoulders, so I decided to make some mods to see if I could lighten it up a bit.

The first thing I looked at was the suspension system - the steel bars and ropes on each end. I bought some 16mmx12mmx420mm carbon fiber tubes from Amazon for $20 a pair. 420mm is about 16.5", so two tubes together are just 1/2" or so shorter than the original steel tubes. I also got some 12mm OD x 8MM ID aluminum tube to use as an insert to hold the two sections together but allow them to separate for storage. The next step was to figure out the hole pattern on the OEM tubes so I could duplicate it, and what I found out is there is no pattern that I could figure out. The holes seem to be randomly spaced, and they're not even bilaterally symmetrical (each side from the center is different). I don't know if this is the result of some super-complex load distribution algorithms or if the person doing the drilling was drunk that day, so I gave up and just used the original holes as a pattern. I cut the aluminum tubing so it was slightly less than the distance between the two center holes and glued on side into the CF tube using super glue. I wanted some way to reduce abrasion from the sharp edges of the drilled holes, so I drilled the holes using a 4.5mm drill bit and tapped a 3/16" (#6-6) eyelet into each hole. I finished each end with a 16mm PVC end cap. Here's a picture of the old and new poles and suspension side-by-side:

Old New Compare Small.jpg

To replace the ropes I used some 900lb. Kevlar line - you can get 100' for around $28 on Amazon. I cut 10 7' pieces, dipped the cut ends in clear nail polish to keep them from unravelling, then tied a simple loop in the center of each. I used a short piece of 1200lb. Kevlar line to make a small loop through the center loops each set of 5 lines, threaded the lines through the CF poles and tied them onto the hammock. Before I tied everything up I compared the weight of the OEM suspension to my new CF/Kevlar one - the OEM one was 15.3oz. per side (poles & lines, 30.6 oz. each side or 1 lb. 14.6 oz. for both sides), while my replacement was 5.6 oz. per side (11.2 oz. for both sides), which was an overall weight reduction of around 1lb. 3.4oz. Here's a picture of the new suspension hanging in my garage:

New Suspension Small.jpg

Note that I've since trimmed the extra length of line hanging down, but left 6" or so for future adjustments. I've slept in it using the new suspension 3 times so far (twice in my backyard and one short overnight hike), and after a few length adjustments on the individual ropes I can't tell the difference from the original. The carbon fiber tubing is a lot stronger than the original steel ones (even with the holes drilled in it), and the Kevlar line is at least as strong as the original, so it should hold up well.

The next thing I looked at was the rain fly. Out of the box the OEM one weighs at around 14.7oz, which seems somewhat heavy given the size. I had a Borah Silpoly Solo Tarp ($65), which at 70"x108" (5.8'x9') seemed like a good fit. I laid it over the hammock, attached some short shock cord lines with small plastic clips to each of the ridge line loops and attached the other ends to the hammock suspension. I took a couple of Nite Ize S-Biner Plastic #2 Dual-Gated Carabiners and clipped the two corners together under the suspension line and voilą - it was a nearly perfect fit. The tarp, shock cords and clips together weigh in at 8.2oz. I used this one one of the nights I slept outdoors during a light rain, and it kept me nice and dry. Here are some pics:

Rainfly 1 Small.jpgRainfly 2 Small.jpg

Two additional things I still want to do to the new rain fly are add some velcro patches to the side edges of the tarp to line up with the loop already sewn onto the hammock, and opening up the folded-over seams on the ends of the tarp to add a piece of microcord so I can gather the ends more tightly around the suspension (it flapped a little in the wind).

After both mods the new weight of the whole thing including the carry sack is 3lb. 3oz., which is around a a 1lb. 12oz. weight reduction. I added a set of Hummingbird straps which weigh 1.5oz. and a pair of Trek Light Gear Ultralight Carabiners (.8oz. per carabiner, 1.6oz. for both) for a complete hanging solution.

Some additional notes:

- The best way to drill the holes in the carbon fiber tube is with a drill press, but if you don't have one of those you can use a drill guide designed to drill perpendicular holes in round stock (the Milescraft 1312 is an example). Create a jig using some long pieces of wood to hold the tubing in place so it doesn't move while you're drilling.

- If you're going to cut or drill carbon fiber, set up a vacuum system as close to your drill point as possible, always wear a mask and vacuum up when you're done. Carbon fiber dust is really nasty stuff and you do not want it in your lungs!

- Re-string one side at a time, and use the old suspension stringing as a guide for the first new one, then use that for the second one. You probably still won't get the lengths perfectly right, but it's a reasonable start.

- I'll probably clean up the suspension lines sometime and add some clews, but I want to test it out for a season before I invest the time in doing that.
    Last edited by johnmcd; 09-19-2021 at 19:09.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cool. Impressive weight saving without breaking the bank.

我宁愿在山上。

Nice weight savings and good tip on the vacume for the dust. The grommets give me concern though- they tend to tearout. You could sew a few reinforcements with added webbing loops instead of the grommets and probably not increase the weight more than an oz. or two.

• + New Posts