SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

1.8oz AirWave Fabric

Just got the chance to hang out in my new Freebird hammock made with Airwave.

How is the material not a bigger deal!?! It was incredibly soft, cotton like really, breathed really well, and offered almost no stretch (which I prefer).

All that and its incredibly strong! Granted its not for people going UL, but for everyone else this fabric seems like a winner. If I could get a Warbonnet XLC made with this fabric I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Anyone else hammock with this material? I was astounded how much I liked it over the typical HyperD material.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    There's no comparison to HyperD...AirWave I thought was far easier to work with, HyperD is a headache in rolled goods form. I don't use it in my projects more because of 1.7 MTN which is stronger, lighter, and easier to scooch around in. The cottony hand of AirWave is amazing for a ripstop fabric but I move a bit while I sleep and it grips my clothes too much. But I agree it is pretty cool fabric for what it is.

Still, I haven't used it a whole awful lot, so maybe it's a matter of just getting used to it. :shrug:

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    The cottony hand of AirWave is amazing for a ripstop fabric but I move a bit while I sleep and it grips my clothes too much.
    Thats the most common complaint I came across while researching the fabric before I bought the hammock. In my limited experience I didnt have that issue, but I was wearing some poly shorts and shirts that are kind of slick on their own. I could see how it could "grip" a bit more.

I wonder how this would perform in the winter, if it would "breathe" to much for cold temps.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I think any fabric alone "breathes" too much for cold temps. Your insulation does all the work there.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I've used hammocks made with HyperD, MTN 1.2, NylonD, Hexon 1.6, and AirWave. The AirWave is my current and, so far, favorite. I tend to move a lot when I sleep, and with the more slippery fabrics, I'd tend to end up sliding around and scrunched up in the middle. With the AirWave, I find the hand feel more pleasant and I tend to "stick" in place much better. That being said, I wouldn't have any major complaint going back to any of the other fabrics or trying anything new that may come out in the future.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well got a few more hangs in my Airwave fabric Freebird hammock.

At this point its definitely my favorite hammock fabric! I've got an Autumn Ultralight hammock coming made out of MTN 1.7oz, hoping it'll feel similar to the freebird.

In fact I loved the hammock so much I went out and got a half bug net from ArrowHead Equipment to use with this hammock. Probably wont push it at the height of bug season in MN, but should get me through low bug pressure days.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Well got a few more hangs in my Airwave fabric Freebird hammock.

At this point its definitely my favorite hammock fabric! I've got an Autumn Ultralight hammock coming made out of MTN 1.7oz, hoping it'll feel similar to the freebird.

In fact I loved the hammock so much I went out and got a half bug net from ArrowHead Equipment to use with this hammock. Probably wont push it at the height of bug season in MN, but should get me through low bug pressure days.
    I'm a relatively big guy (6'2" and 240-250 lbs) and find that my DIY 1.6 HyperD hammock has waaaay too much stretch for me. I've been researching recently and debating between 1.7 MTN and 1.8 AIRWAVE for my next DIY build. I've found quite a bit of info on both, but very little in the way of a direct comparison between the two. I look forward to reading your assessment of how the two fabrics match up against each other once you receive the Autumn Ultralight.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I look forward to reading your assessment of how the two fabrics match up against each other once you receive the Autumn Ultralight.
    I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to hang in it. My thought is that the lack of stretch between the two will be very similar but we shall see.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Thanks bunches! I am interested in stretch of course, but also curious about relative hand feel and "stickiness" as well. Actually anything that seems the same or different between the two fabrics. I know a lot of things are subjective, but it's still valuable to collect opinions from folks who actually have hammocks made of both. It's difficult to make a robust comparison with the little sample swatches you can get.

Hope you don't have to wait too long! Happy hanging!!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Thanks bunches! I am interested in stretch of course, but also curious about relative hand feel and "stickiness" as well. Actually anything that seems the same or different between the two fabrics. I know a lot of things are subjective, but it's still valuable to collect opinions from folks who actually have hammocks made of both. It's difficult to make a robust comparison with the little sample swatches you can get.

Hope you don't have to wait too long! Happy hanging!!
    Hey Pop Pop Corn (you) Fool

I have a DIY airweave hammock I can bring to NOVA if you would like to try it out yourself. Also my experience is the MTN is very sinilar to the Hexon that you tried out at MAHHA. I can bring examples of each of these as well. Or sense we arent that far apart, we could meet before then for you to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast