Hammock gear standard hammock 11ft
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Journe
    Insulation
    Hammock gear 0 deg
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings

IN > Charles Deam > Ideas?

HI All, I've done the penisnula trail a number of times now but Im wondering if there is another trail on the east side or somewhere else in the area that you'd recommend? It would be nice to have access to water but not a big deal as we'll only be going for one or two nights. What's your favorite "lesser traveled" trail at Deam?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Well there is the Sycamore Trail loop and Axom branch off of the Terrel Ridge trail, but they aren't exactly lesser traveled. Our HF Hoosier Fall hang is in CV2 just off of the Sycamore Trail.(See the Trips Forum for details).

It's not exactly the Deam but if your willing to head east another 15mins or so and you can find the southern terminus of the Old Nebo ridge trail, it's not used as much now that the reroute has been in place. It's a nice hike to Browning Hill and/or The Henge, at the end of the ridge. Last time out I hiked the "Old Footrail" over to the new Nebo reroute and back just because I hadn't been that way before.

It's a nice hike but not much water. There is a seasonal branch at the base of the Henge that runs occasionally and one at the base of the hill where The Old Footrail and New Nebo south of where the two intersect.

I did an out and back on 2ltrs + 16oz in April. Camel up!

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Suspension
    Straps / Buckles
    I like Hickory Ridge Trail 18 east or west of the trailhead parking. West is flatter. Several ponds along the way that are reliable for water (unlike creeks) and less traveled than the Deam area. Trail 19 East also has a pond.
    Last edited by Hoppy901; 09-20-2021 at 02:42.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy901 View Post
    I like Hickory Ridge Trail 18 east or west of the trailhead parking. West is flatter. Several ponds along the way that are reliable for water (unlike creeks) and less traveled than the Deam area. Trail 19 East also has a pond.
    I think Oneclick has GPS co-ordinates for this section. Might be worth seeing if he'll share.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've never hiked those since they seem to connect roads south of the wilderness.

Sycamore Loop is always worth doing to start since it's void of muddy urine-filled hoof prints and horse poop. It's just short. After that, you can head north and do some bushwhacking along the high ridges which is kind of fun as an out and back. Cope Hollow south of the road was always quiet when I went but that could depend on the time I was there.

Honestly I'm out of ideas to keep me interested in Deam. Still a nice place to go and hang for sure. I guess the best idea I have is park at the fire tower>Axsom (not on maps for some reason, crosses road)>Martin Hollow>Cope Hollow>cross road again into horse camp>Grubb Ridge>Axsom>back to fire tower. That makes for some decent hiking. Water is spaced out nicely along the way with streams and ponds, but the ponds can get pretty dank. I never got sick though.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I have a hard time doing most of the WL ponds. 30 years ago I did it occasionally using coffee filters and halazone tablets. They have all degraded as far as water sources go for me now. Mostly probably just rough on filters, but I won't use Monroe Lake water either. I've witnessed the summer time oil slick then there's also the dang Algae blooms.

I won't do and don't recommend the horse poop slip and slide to anyone either. It's a nice loop otherwise. I miss Patton Cave.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    LOL those stagnant ponds. No flow. When you approach you hear/see a hundred frogs jump in. Maybe some pooping geese/birds take off. Then you see the rainbow-colored film floating on top. Tea colored water from the leaves breaking down. Flavorful.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    LOL those stagnant ponds. No flow. When you approach you hear/see a hundred frogs jump in. Maybe some pooping geese/birds take off. Then you see the rainbow-colored film floating on top. Tea colored water from the leaves breaking down. Flavorful.
    You just have to be thirsty I guess
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy901 View Post
    If you've never hiked them why all the negative comments? This is exactly why I rarely comment on things. The man asked for suggestions and I gave mine. No need to pick it apart. HYOH
    Negative? Or factual? Why are your emphasizing stuff for no apparent reason? I've been over every square inch of this place. I only mentioned not hiking some of the trails to the south, outside of the property. I said nothing negative about them!! I just never checked them out since I stay in the Deam.

You must be new here. I don't have the time or effort to beat around the bush and sugar coat things for you. I laid it out with first-hand experience. Everyone is free to do what they wish with that.

Oh yeah, can't forget an emoji.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Don't listen to OneClick. What does he know about The Deam?

Everyone in Bloomington should get to hike the SlipnSlide just once. Some incredibly beautiful country in there. Saddle Creek, Patton Cave, Monroe Lake, John and Frank Grubb Loop, just to name a few.

I think it's important for everyone who uses the Wilderness Area to see how MU usage impacts areas that are better suited to foot traffic only as true wilderness areas are proposed to be. I'm of the opinion that all of Tower Ridge Rd be closed. But that's my opinion from also hiking the area for around 40 years now. You should most certainly do the entire loop yourself, or at least out to the peninsula to the lake and back and make your own decisions HYOH and all that.

South of the Rd is very much the same. County Rds crossing the trail allow much too free access to 4 wheelers and ATVs. Even areas where they were once prohibited they run pretty much free resulting in major trail work and reroutes last year. Shouldn't really complain. 40 years ago I was camped at Terrell Pond, two pick ups and a jeep showed up to "play" in a 4 foot deep mud puddle. Managed to swamp the jeep out and pretty much flooded my campsite before getting out and moving on. I can also remember when all the creek crossings between the two Grubb ridges were barely wet booters in all but the wettest trips.

I'd be really happy if they would close Tower Ridge Rd. Move Saddle Cr Horse camp closer to SR446 and move it to the south side of the Rd, then designate those trails to the south for MU usage. There are several "protected" areas there as well, that would be potentially problematic, but you have to start somewhere.

Don't forget the emoji
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast