SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/SLD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies /straps
    Images

New HF member needs advice on first hammock setup Superior Gear?

I just turned 60 and have been backpacking off and on for 45 years.. however I have always used a tent. I am 6' tall and 210 pounds. I live in the highlands of WV and will primarily backpack on the east coast, however with a brother living in Durango CO (he is a 2019 AT through hiker) the CT is on my bucket list.
    Recently I started upgrading my gear and have a Gossamer UL backpack, UGQ 20 degree Bandit top quilt and use my home made Cat can Alcohol stove. I like my Six Moon Lunar Solo so really want to keep my gear in the UL or light range.
    After a lot of research I am seriously considering a Superior Gear Storm "bundle" which will include the winter tarp with doors, and pay the extra for the 30 degree and the Elite upgrade with UL fabrics and 950 FP. Going with the 11' hammock
    Couple questions from you seasoned hangers...
    1. If I go with the Superior hammock 30 Degree, will this work in temps around 65 F in summer with a very light top cover or will this be too hot?

2. Any thoughts or comments on the Superior shelter? I haven't found much in reviews on this.
    3. I want a system that is simple and easy to setup and take down, but will the integrated UQ an issue in the long term?
    4 I plan on pushing this system into the 20's or lower with an underquilt protector or additional snap on quilt. Is the 30 degree the best fit?
    5 I am basically a side sleeper and toss a bit (at least in the tent with a pad ) so is this setup good for a side sleeper?
    I've been slowly dropping hints to the wife that I want to get this and it will be expensive so this setup has to be a good fit. I don't mind buying once and crying once and willing to pay for excellent gear in addition to supporting cottage vendors in the USA.
    Just looking for any comments or advice prior to sending Dan and order. Or... are there any other great alternatives in the UL or light range?
    thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Welcome! First off, if you haven't checked out Shug's YouTube channel...do that. I know he's done a few reviews of the Superior Gear hammocks: https://www.youtube.com/user/shugeme...uperior%20gear

1. Should work, some people will vent their UQs but with that snap system I dunno if you can. But, think about your bed...the temp rating doesn't change, you just kick off the covers if you get hot.

4. Don't know until you try. Some gear can be pushed, others not so much. I know my 40F gear can't be pushed too far into the 30s, especially if it's breezy...part of the reason I ended up getting a 20F set. It sucks sleeping cold.

5. I'm a side sleeper, and I tend to flop around a bit. I had trouble with asym hammocks, so I ended up with a DW Chameleon with a symmetrical bugnet. I would double check that it's a symmetrical (I think it is, but it doesn't state it anywhere).

My wife and I have an arrangement: I don't complain about the cost of her hobbies and she don't complain about mine. So long as the bills are paid and meeting the savings goals, hobbies get funded. I'm pretty much done with gear buying (that's a lie I like to keep telling myself), but over 3 years I've dropped around $2,000 between WB/HG/DW. Throw in packs and the rest of the camp gear...maybe another $1,500.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/SLD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies /straps
    Images
    Turtle.. Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about the fact that an actual bed or insulated pad for that matter doesn't change. good point. I feel better about that now. I can always throw off the top quilt or cover if it gets too warm.

I have been watching Shug's videos for some time now ( along with some others ) Shug seems to like the Superior Gear stuff and in one video took that 30 degree into the teens.

My wife's hobby is quilting and like you we both have our budgets. Her dam sewing machine was in the thousands and she is constantly purchasing fabric for her quilts. She does make some nice quilts. My other hobby is woodworking and furniture making. I have a fully decked out shop. Working on the backpacking gear now. Glad I don't like exotic cars, fast women or gambling!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Oof, one of my inlaws is into quilting. She's got some $10k high end sewing machine...my daughter is into it as well, but she's got a much smaller budget. Maybe see if could make your gear?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by TechRedneck View Post
    I just turned 60 and have been backpacking off and on for 45 years.. however I have always used a tent. I am 6' tall and 210 pounds. I live in the highlands of WV and will primarily backpack on the east coast, however with a brother living in Durango CO (he is a 2019 AT through hiker) the CT is on my bucket list.
    Recently I started upgrading my gear and have a Gossamer UL backpack, UGQ 20 degree Bandit top quilt and use my home made Cat can Alcohol stove. I like my Six Moon Lunar Solo so really want to keep my gear in the UL or light range.
    After a lot of research I am seriously considering a Superior Gear Storm "bundle" which will include the winter tarp with doors, and pay the extra for the 30 degree and the Elite upgrade with UL fabrics and 950 FP. Going with the 11' hammock
    Couple questions from you seasoned hangers...
    1. If I go with the Superior hammock 30 Degree, will this work in temps around 65 F in summer with a very light top cover or will this be too hot?

2. Any thoughts or comments on the Superior shelter? I haven't found much in reviews on this.
    3. I want a system that is simple and easy to setup and take down, but will the integrated UQ an issue in the long term?
    4 I plan on pushing this system into the 20's or lower with an underquilt protector or additional snap on quilt. Is the 30 degree the best fit?
    5 I am basically a side sleeper and toss a bit (at least in the tent with a pad ) so is this setup good for a side sleeper?
    I've been slowly dropping hints to the wife that I want to get this and it will be expensive so this setup has to be a good fit. I don't mind buying once and crying once and willing to pay for excellent gear in addition to supporting cottage vendors in the USA.
    Just looking for any comments or advice prior to sending Dan and order. Or... are there any other great alternatives in the UL or light range?
    thanks in advance.
    I got basically what you're considering but in the 15F version. It's my wife's main setup (while I would consider my main setup to be a warbonnet blackbird xlc with wooki xl), but I'm looking forward to using it this winter. I'm also less than a year into hammock camping so my opinions are.... not fully developed.

1. I haven't been able to sleep in the 15F overnight because it's been too warm on our trips so far. The 30F might be better, but I still think I would be too warm at 65F, but I remember Shug mentioning he thought it was fine up to 70F.
    2. In terms of functionality, it's fine. Great coverage, no leaks. Is it as well put together as my HG tarp for example? No. The stitching is a little less consistent and, in general, it feels more homemade comparatively. You're going to seam seal it anyways. I didn't think I'd like the buckle tie-outs, but have found that surprisingly useful.
    3. Yeah, this is as easy as it gets. My first setup was the HG Wanderlust and I couldn't get the UQ to work with me (I think because I side sleep and it has a leg shelf). WBBBXLC with wooki xl is super easy too, but it does want you to lay in kind of the one predefined spot. The wooki is asymmetrical, so you kind of have to know which way you like to lie. If I were giving myself of a year ago advice, it's between the WBBBXLC and the SG 30F.
    4. This thing is pretty generously stuffed. I went with the 15F because my wife is a cold sleeper and it's thicker than her 10F EE TQ. I'd hazard a guess that the 30F could get you to the 20s with a UQP. I really do want to do a cold weather trip with mine just to see how low it will go.
    5. I'd say it's the best setup for a side sleeper and tosser turner. Everywhere you touch is insulated, you can squirm into whatever angle you want. I just wish it had a pullout to keep the bugnet away from the face.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    One other useful happy accident type features with the snaps that my wife found to help with being too warm: if your TQ has snaps, you can snap it up and out of the way. She did that while I was kicking mine around all night over in my hammock to keep it from covering my legs.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/SLD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies /straps
    Images
    Hang:

I appreciate you taking the time to honestly answer my questions. I'm feeling better about the 30 degree now but may have to order the UQ protector separately at some point. I now usually carry the Gossimer 1/8" foam pad and may be able to use that to push the UQ into the 20's. This pad is very useful especially under my Air Core insulated pad. I have taken this combination in the tent into the low teens and have been very comfortable wearing just my base layers and some nice sox.

I am surprised the tarp is not seam sealed but that is not a major issue as long as it is well constructed. An alternative could be the Thunderfly but I was thinking of getting the tarp that was made for the hammock.

For warmer weather I have my first down bag I purchased prior to knowing much about quilts and it is a Hyke & Byke 30 degree Eolus. This is a mummy bag however I hated how confined I was in it and always used it as a quilt. This may be the warmer weather top insulation if I can find a way to get rid of the hood which I don't use either. Probably should sell the dam thing.

I am happy to hear that you feel a toss and turn sleeper will do well with the Superior setup.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    I have the SG 30 degree elite 11’. I used it last month with overnight temps in the 60s. I love this hammock but in all honesty it did get really warm for awhile until the evening cool set in. I was a bit uncomfortable but just slept without my TQ and it was fine. I’m going to get a 45 elite for summer trips but the 30 is great the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/SLD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies /straps
    Images
    Here in the highlands of WV, summer temps at night, usually never stay in the high 60's for long. I don't particularly like backpacking in hot humid weather. Guess it's the Scotch Irish part of me that loves things a little cooler.

Good to hear from someone who has the setup I am looking at as well. The simplicity and weight savings of the SG elite seems pretty awesome. Weather here is hard to gauge. I was solo backpacking last year at Dolly Sods ( 45 Minutes from me ) and temps were hot in the high 70's. I decided to camp in a low meadow with the Lunar Solo wide open to watch the stars. Temps dipped to 15 degrees that night in mid September! That was not in the forecast ! glad I was prepared but dam.....

The leaves are starting to change here and you can smell fall in the air. Sure wished the lead times on these hammocks were not so long. It took about 6 weeks for my UGQ Bandit but once I got it it was worth the wait. Love the cottage vendors for quality, customization and honest temp ratings.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TechRedneck View Post
    Here in the highlands of WV, summer temps at night, usually never stay in the high 60's for long. I don't particularly like backpacking in hot humid weather. Guess it's the Scotch Irish part of me that loves things a little cooler.

Good to hear from someone who has the setup I am looking at as well. The simplicity and weight savings of the SG elite seems pretty awesome. Weather here is hard to gauge. I was solo backpacking last year at Dolly Sods ( 45 Minutes from me ) and temps were hot in the high 70's. I decided to camp in a low meadow with the Lunar Solo wide open to watch the stars. Temps dipped to 15 degrees that night in mid September! That was not in the forecast ! glad I was prepared but dam.....

The leaves are starting to change here and you can smell fall in the air. Sure wished the lead times on these hammocks were not so long. It took about 6 weeks for my UGQ Bandit but once I got it it was worth the wait. Love the cottage vendors for quality, customization and honest temp ratings.
    Personally, I like the idea of separate hammocks and quilts because I can mix/match as conditions require.

If you ever need something in a hurry, one of our vendors — Simply Light Designs — has the fastest turn-around time in the Known Universe. Less than a week from ordering to receiving the item in the mail is very, very common when Jared uses materials he has in stock. And the quality, like that of just about every single regular vendor here, is top notch. He doesn't work with down but makes some very nice synthetic (ClimaShield) quilts and a very interesting clewed design underquilt. (I've had tarp and hammocks made by him but not quilts.)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts