WWBB
    Tarp
    HB Pelican
    Insulation
    WB Wooki, UGC TQ
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Hummingbird Pelican Rain Tarp

I'm new to hammock camping and have been trying to find the right tarp for me. Being a pretty small person, I'm trying to keep my weight down, so I'm looking for something that is lightweight but offers good coverage. I've been looking at some Dyneema options, but I'm a bit turned off by some of the downsides that go along with DCF (including the price). Has anyone tried the Hummingbird Pelican Rain Tarp? It seems surprisingly light for not being DCF, but there aren't too many reviews online, so I'm hesitant to just take the plunge and buy it without knowing much about it.

I have not used that particular tarp, however the specifications look good.
    I have a sil-nylon tarp that I have used for years without issue.
    I like sil-nylon as it seems to pack down smaller than dcf however you do get a bit of stretch with sil-nylon. As long as your prepared for that, you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, pretty lightweight (12.8oz) for having full doors. That 0.9oz silpoly I think equates to 15d, so it's gonna be pretty thin. My WB tarps are all 20d silpoly (1.1 oz?). The WB Superfly would be comparable and it's around 18 oz.

My silpoly WB Thunderfly weighs 13.4 oz, and has been thru some crazy FL storms. Honestly, it's my main choice over the Superfly...unless we're going winter camping, where I'd like to have full wind blocks on the ends.

Hopefully, someone on the forums has experience with this tarp.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I concur that the specs look very impressive for that tarp. Cordage for ridge and guy lines is going to add about 3-4 oz so the total will come in right around a pound, which ain't half bad!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Hi there! I do not have the hummingbird pelican BUT I do have the hummingbird heron which is the same material as the pelican. Previously I used a chill gorilla 12x12ish tarp. It rolled up to a size a little larger than a nalgene bottle and had SO MANY TIE OUTs. I loved the coverage! I could make doors around my hammock & everything! But then I wanted to start downsizing in preparation for backpacking with my friends- and the chill gorilla had to go! In a effort to not go down the rabbit hole of gear, and the anxiety of just needing to make a purchase, I purchased everything by hummingbird- the single + hammock, the heron tarp, straps, strap extenders, and the bugnet.

The tarp material is LIGHT. Like sunlight will illuminate your hammock even with the tarp up it's thin. I strung it up. The length barely fits the single +, and I miss my doors from the chill gorilla, but maybe the pelican would be better for that as it has doors. I feel like this set up needs one more set of tie outs in the middle of the tarp for pulling it more taut- that is my only gripe. I did get caught in the rain twice in this bad boy- people I talked with later on the trail actually said that it POURED. I had no idea- I was COMPLETELY DRY, including my gear that was on the ground under me, and my dog in his pup tent next to me under the tarp! It dried quick, didn't stretch out too much, etc. I also can't beat the fact that this set up is SO SMALL. SIde note though- standard paracord is too large for the suspension toggle on this tarp, you need their brand cord for the ridgeline. I just did a normal suspension through the loop instead.

Bottom line: it's a fantastic tarp for being so small & lightweight. It will not work for winter camping. I wish there were 2 more tie outs. I was still a little worried about getting wet but I didn't get wet! (I have never been caught in the rain previously).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Was looking at the setup videos for the tarps...it appears the stuff sack is attached to the tarp?

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Yes it is, it hangs at the bottom edge of one side of the tarp in the middle. It was a pleasant surprise, but it is a tight squeeze if it is wet. I am looking into the sleeve options that other people have posted about. Since the tarp is so *delicate* I would not want to just stuff it in my pack, or the outside of my pack without protection for fear of it getting a hole in it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Yeah, I'd cut that off and just use the mesh tarp sleeve to wrangle it. Wrap the lines around it and shove it in my outside mesh pocket.

Hammock
    Still shopping
    Tarp
    Wreck-tangles
    Insulation
    Pine Needles
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Bumping this, because I just found a Heron for thirty bucks in a second-hand store. Will report on performance once early bow season is over.

It has some sort of knot-phobic hardware on the ridgeline ends, which I will cut off, but other than that it seems like it'll fit over my JungleNest decently well, and that'd be a good keep-in-the-truck combo for unexpected overnight trips.

• + New Posts