Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line

TARP IDEA

Hi all,

Its been awhile since ive made anythinh hammock related.

Dam covid level 4 lockdown has given me plenty of time but very little materials and no way to obtain them.

I did have this idea on my 7 month hang/gold mining trip to the south island though.

7 months under an OzTrail 2x3m tarp informed me of exactly what i want.

I bought an aluminium sectional tent pole from the Queenstown hospice shop for $4 in feb of this year.

When i returned to jafaland i purchased a length of ripstop nylon coated on the inside.
    Its a bit heavier than normal tarp material but only $4 per meter.

It neasures 2.8 m wide at the centre,tapering down to 2.4 m wide at 1.46 m from the centre giving just short of 3m overall.
    It then has an adfitional .4 m at the ridge height spreading to 1.5 m longer and 3 m wide to make storm doors.

All tiedown points are double gusseted.

Thevrevolutionary idea(at least here in New Zealand) is that the ali pole is 'captured' in a french seam so no extra dodads are needed to support the pole.

The tarp can be used in standard A format or the pole inserted and used as per the photo.
    It can also be used as a tarp tent with nothing more than the pole and 2 pegs for each end,and excess tarp folded inside.

All i need now is a $h!tload of grosgrain when shops reopen and reinforce the entire outer edge in one continuious length.

I may also sew a couple of fabric loops inside for light knivknacks but i usually attatch them to a ridgeline.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I think that is pretty much what TarpTent does with most of their tents

Brian

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    OlTrailDog-im working on that,bear with me for a couple of days

The hoop goes in the exact CENTRE of the tarp.

Im a bit screwed for completing it as i cant get grosgrain for at least 2 weeks but i dont need to use it untill december.

Its rather heavy for a tarp on account of fabric not being ideal weight but it is still not ott.
    Last edited by jadekayak; 09-17-2021 at 05:29.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I think that is pretty much what TarpTent does with most of their tents

Brian

Hi Brian.

Ive never heard of TarpTent but i found thier website and looked up 10 of thier model.

Not a single one does what i have.

All if thiers that i saw with a curved pole have them through a SEPERATE channel sewn into the seam between major panels.

Mine has no channel.

The two panels are "french seamed" quite a bit wider than normal to produce the channel from the fly material instead of being a seperate channel.

This is a pain in the neck to produce on a tiny sewing machine and a costly way to join panels if done commercially.

Most tents ive seen have an overlocked seam with at least one row of running stitch AND seam welded at the same time.
    Expensive machinery but very economical if you are making 500 to 600 seams a year
    Last edited by jadekayak; 09-17-2021 at 05:34.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    While you are snapping pics how about one of the wide french seam you are using to encapsulate the pole. It might be just the ticket for a project I have been working on.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    While you are snapping pics how about one of the wide french seam you are using to encapsulate the pole. It might be just the ticket for a project I have been working on.

Well,
    Im slow but i do get there.

The original drawing-meant to be a GUIDE for ME to manufacture.

Various photos,the gussets,storm doors,and the all important french seam that holds the poles.
    This is 30mm wide so it can accommodate a 12mm diameter pole if nessecary.a sketch on the plan of the french seam.

Also the poles i used-there were far more sections than i needed,are about 9mm i think.picture of left over sections.

The side view shows position of pole in the centre-i dont live at the ends of the tarp but in the middle when not sleeping.

The little kids toy sewing machine-6 volt battery and mains power (through a voltage regulator/rectifier)

Very slow machine but has enough grunt for 8 layers of this material and using madeira 40 polyester(1838 colour) machine embroidery thread-because i had it.

The suspension loops are only temporary and permanent ones will be added AFTER grosgrain is sewn in,as will tiedown loops everywhere else-
    I think loops are more versatile than stainless grommets.

Hope the seam cliseup gives you ideas for your project.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Hey, I think the sewing looks real decent. Much better than my thrashing about. The side view gives a much better idea of your project. Are you serious about the sewing machine??? One thing I found, thanks to HF, is the recommendations on Guttermann Mara 70 thread is well worth the extra expense. I am a complete hack and have undertaken some serious sewing projects, e.g. several 90 degree hammocks, over the past year. Using a used $250 Bernina 930 and with my horrendous skill level, I have not had a bird's nest or fowl up yet. Knock on wood. Believe me that is nothing short of a miracle. Question on the poles, were they pre-bent or did you bend them. If you bent them how did you get such a nice curve?

One last question. The bars on the windows? Belligerent kangaroos, wild wombats, roving bands of marauding marsupials? Or to keep the Aussies, driven mad from home lockdown, from spreading the CCP virus?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Well thanks for that.
    If you want to see real good sewing look up tacblades.
    He is really good.alot to learn from him.

I have a head start as i worked in enbroidery for along time.

I know gutterman threads ,some are cheap and some are good-made for a market/price range.
    The more expensive the better they are.

I used madeira 40 polyneon as i "liberated" one black and one red cone from a company that went under a long time ago.
    Its also very strong.

The machine-its from spotlight,marked down to $60 from $120.
    Only had it for about 2 months.

Not worth the time to look for a second hand machine.and yes,it is a childs machine.
    Very slow 6volt battery and a wall charger .
    It does have a foot pedal though.

Most domestic machines have plenty of piwer for dress making weight fabrics-which is most if the hammocking equipment weight range.

The alloy pokes were from a sun shade but it was lost and the poles only were for sale at the Queenstown hospice.
    If i couldnt get what i wanted i would have to buy aluminium arrows andvmake a three wheel rolling jig.

Arrow shafts are fairly hard temper and are difficult to bend but you can roll them if you are gentle.
    Buy twice as much as you need because they do tend to split sometimes.
    Another alternative is find an aluminium supplier and look for thin wall 9mm soft.

You can roll it in lengths of 2-3 meters and then cut to size-the ends where you start rolling are not bent evenly.you then turn down some ferrals,ine side a transition fit and ine side a snug push fit-hollow of course.
    This can be done on a staddard drill with fikes,painfull and slow but very accurate if YOU are.

Im in NEW ZEALAND so we keep asstralians out at thevboarder at the moment.

The bars are vecause its a commercial building with factory downstairs and office's upstairs.

I have so.e 2mm dyneema ill use for the main line and some shock cord for the tieouts

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,
    Keep it hammock related. If you wish to comment on or discuss anything COVID related, please start a thread in the Donating Member area. Thanks
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Oh wow, I thought social distancing was what hammocks were all about. Or is it visa versa?

• + New Posts